It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

took 2 years to find a job

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I love you guys. I really do.

I tend to use the rant and chat areas most. You are all so nice and understanding.
I'm so grateful they're working with me. NOW hopefully the food stamp place will do something. I plan to call em when I get my first check. I don't know how it works when you find work; if they take it all away or what.

I let panic write my OP, obviously. >_>
Panic's voice is harsh.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by sarra1833
I love you guys. I really do.

I tend to use the rant and chat areas most. You are all so nice and understanding.
I'm so grateful they're working with me. NOW hopefully the food stamp place will do something. I plan to call em when I get my first check. I don't know how it works when you find work; if they take it all away or what.

I let panic write my OP, obviously. >_>
Panic's voice is harsh.

Writing is some of the best therapy, let that panic out in the writing. Leaves your head clear for the more important things.
So rant away, my friend. (I do it, too). It definitely helps me to share it with my ATS family. And we are family!

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by sarra1833

I think in some cases they will continue to subsidize you with some food stamps (maybe not the amount you are getting now) if even working you are well below the poverty line.

You might be able to find out about eligibility to the food stamp program online for your specific state.

Good luck!

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Thanks again.

A huge boulder was lifted off my shoulders. I'd still like a wee part time second job just to get my license back sooner of course. But with these facts as they are, I believe I can still do this just fine on the one job. LOVE working, but I don't really want to ease out of a 2 year unemployment time by jumping into two jobs. I don't want to burn out. I'll be sore as is the first week of this new job.

But yes, the freedom I feel is immense. And my god in 25 years, it can be forgiven! I do NOT plan to fall behind or miss payments or do anything negative. This can help fix my credit too I bet. Esp if I give payments on time every time. This IBR (income based repayment) is going to be a godsend in countless ways.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
A friend checked for me; if a household of 2 makes 1640 a month or less, they get food stamps.

God. 1640 a month. I've NEVER made that much. I'd not know what to do with it. I'm not kidding either. Even when I was a shift manager at Arbys, I'd get about 1200 a month. D:

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   

They have a formula they use, but I think you will still qualify. There are food banks, also. Google food banks for your area. They don't have the same restrictions, they may have different requirements.

Ascension211

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by ascension211

Thanks

I'm just glad to have my well deserved happy and now future optimism pushed up again.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Sarra, I feel for you having been in your shoes back when my kids were much younger. You are a strong woman.

One thing I urge you to do is stay on top of the situation with the student loans. Call back in the next few days just to confirm what the last person you spoke with said. I don't want to discourage you, but having dealt with this personally, but I don't want to be shocked if three months from now you get a bill for the original payment amount because someone on their end didn't do what they were supposed to do.

I advise just calling them back, ask them to confirm what the last person said and double check that there are no more forms you need to fill out. Ask to make sure that everything has been filled properly.
It is just my personal experience that student loan customer service people are great at making errors and not filling things on time. If you stay on top of it, it should all go smoothly.

edit on 31-10-2012 by calstorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by calstorm
Sarra, I feel for you having been in your shoes back when my kids were much younger. You are a strong woman.

One thing I urge you to do is stay on top of the situation with the student loans. Call back in the next few days just to confirm what the last person you spoke with said. I don't want to discourage you, but having dealt with this personally, but I don't want to be shocked if three months from now you get a bill for the original payment amount because someone on their end didn't do what they were supposed to do.

I advise just calling them back, ask them to confirm what the last person said and double check that there are no more forms you need to fill out. Ask to make sure that everything has been filled properly.
It is just my personal experience that student loan customer service people are great at making errors and not filling things on time. If you stay on top of it, it should all go smoothly.

edit on 31-10-2012 by calstorm because: (no reason given)

Thanks.
I haven't even entered my 6 months grace period yet so they can't do much officially til then. I'll definitely do all this once I reach month 4 of the grace. That's when I can start the IBR and set that up. And I'll definitely get more than one confirmation. In this case, I can not afford to mess up in any way.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   

If all else fails I will share my game plan with ya...

When all of this finally burns down around me, I am going to begin going by the alias "Barnaby Sanchez" and I'm hitchhiking to Argentina.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
year and a half still looking

temp salvation army bell ringer

By the tone of everyone on here, it seems to be very sexes against those men who are out of job. people are harsh on my thread
edit on 31-10-2012 by Jordan River because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 02:19 AM
link   
I got my student loan deffered.

I am currently laid off and I am glad I got it deffered. They deffered them until 2014. I didn't even ask. I just called them up and said I was having a hard time making it and they sent me a letter.

I feel for you and you are not alone.

I made a thread called "I feel that I am destined to be poor" if that tells you anything about my situation.

On a side note, I was skimming through the below top secret posts and clicked on two of your threads that I can relate to. I just thought I would mention that so you would not think I am thread stalking you....lol

edit on 1-11-2012 by liejunkie01 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Way to go SARRA! I told you so in the other thread. One seemingly small start can lead to better things. It did for me...and 20 yrs later Im still here up the ranks and Supervisory trail...and now its working for you!

Now...if BOTH of us can get my wife going.....!!!

PS Important. Once you start...try helping someone else out...we all need to share the karma. Its a good thing.

Congrats!!!!

PPS Change your avatar statement: "Whatever happens in life is fine" Because frankly...it isnt!!...."
edit on 06-10-2010 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

edit on 06-10-2010 by mysterioustranger because: grammar

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by sarra1833
reply to post by Sinny

I assume you didn't read the whole post?

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Dear OP
$8.75 an hour?
Are you working at a 7/11?
When younger I drove cabs for about $7.00 hr (on commision only) had to work about seventy hours a week whilst studying ..burned out.
Any work is better than no work at all.
But use this as a stepping stone only.
You are worth more than $8.75 per hour so don't just bed in on this job use it to get something that pays more.
Why?
When you get older about 45 to sixty life becomes a lot harder.
Just hope you can use your education to get a better paid job in the future.
Good luck

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join