It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My computer is getting slower

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I don't know, what i did or changed, but my pc is getting very slow from time to time.
Websites are slow, starting a video or programs takes longer.

Anyone with a good idea ?

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by icepack
I don't know, what i did or changed, but my pc is getting very slow from time to time.
Websites are slow, starting a video or programs takes longer.

Anyone with a good idea ?

How full is your hard drive? free up some space if its really full

you can download a avg program for a free trial that will go through and remove all the junk code and obsolete or outdated programs

check what process are opened automatically when you turn on your computer and remove all non essential programs that you can open as you need them.

and of course virus check and defrag

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
1) Delete any programs/add ons/ software not needed.
2) CCleaner
3) Malwarebytes
4) Hitmanpro
5) Defrag.
6) Check/install ALL updates.

Should run as smooth as a babies arse.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I believe this is what I used that was really effective

www.avg.com...

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by icepack

I presume you are using windows?Do you have lots of programmes running automatically at start up?
Right click on the task bar and choose task manager,look there it will tell you what's running.
You could download win patrol,there's a free version and it will easily let you control what runs at start up.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Those could be signs of a virus. But before we jumped to any conclusions I'll ask you a few questions.

Do you do frequent defrags on your computer?
Have you deleted unused programs?
Have you deleted unnecessary files?
Have you scanned your computer for spyware, malware, adware, and trojans?

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
If your Pc is getting slow from time to time and not a constant slow performance, you could have a problem with your CPU overheating. google coretemp install that and check the heat of your cpu and google how hot your CPU should be running at. If it is overheating you wanna take a look at getting some thermal gel compound on it. just a suggestion. but do what the others said first and defrag, scan for viruses and malware etc..

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Thanks for all your replies.

I will try to follow your ideas and post the results later.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by lobotomizemecapin

How full is your hard drive? free up some space if its really full

thank you. the problems started, when i downloaded a very big file (about 8 gb). i deleted it and the problems are gone. i guess, such a big file lowered the performance of my hard drive.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
it may have filled up your hard drive. but some of the tips above are not bad. in general a good clean up now and then is good.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Another thing, see if the computer shows the amount of memory that it is supposed to have.

If a memory module stops working the total available memory will be reduced by the size of the failed module (in a 2GB computer with two modules that would mean an instant reduction to 1GB), with the obvious reduction in performance.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   
If its a desktop I would make sure to get a can of "air in a can" & spray the dust out of it & clean your heat sink's out your CPU & GPU can get too hot if it has alot of dust on it ........ and all of the above ^^^^

edit on 11/1/2012 by dedpope because: (no reason given)

top topics

join