It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Time Travel Theory

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I have thought about time travel and it is possible, but only forward. This came a a thought one day. Mentally, we travel to the future every time we fall asleep while physically our body stays. For example: Two people are in a room. One falls asleep while the other stays awake. The person asleep already knows what the next day is like. This is because, as we sleep, the hours that pass feel like mere minutes and time seems to fly as we sleep. So while the one person is awake, the person that is asleep in the room, mentally, is already awake and ready for the next day while physically he is viewed as asleep. What are your opinions on this theory and time travel in general?

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
This is not time travel. This is sleep. The person who is perceived to be asleep is not actually awake the next day, they are asleep.
edit on 31-10-2012 by mcsteve because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Time itself is an illusion. Doesn't really exist as you perceive it. Past, present, future all co-exist at the same "time".
If I call a friend in Australia...who's clock time is 12 hours ahead of mine..Am I calling the future? Is he calling the past? Do we meet somewhere in the middle?

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by AccessDenied
If I call a friend in Australia...who's clock time is 12 hours ahead of mine..Am I calling the future? Is he calling the past? Do we meet somewhere in the middle?

You have to remember that "time on Earth" is a made up value.

I'll post my theory here shortly. I have to find it as I posted it not too long ago.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Time is also relative to size.... is time the same for mouse,flea,or microbe?

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
And um...yeah time does exist we are not in a time paradox like Will Feral inland of the lost...

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Ok here is my theory...it's kind of hard to put into writing.

You can't go back in time but I believe in the perception of time travel...does that make sense, lol? Anyways this is purely hypothetical but here are my thoughts on how time travel works. Let's say we discover the ability to travel at the speed of light or faster than light (FTL). We decide we can travel to a newly discovered which is 4.3 light years away. Those on the spaceship going FTL our "time" slows down so in essence we'll say 1 light year (for those on Earth) equals 2 weeks to those on the ship. Here on Earth to us not travelling at the speed of light it would take them 4.3 years 1 way to get to their destination. So the round trip would take 9 years to us on Earth but to those on the spaceship going FTL it would be only be 4 months of lost time. Example:
On the space ship are Harry - 30 years old and Frank - 5 year old son. He leaves behind his wife who is also 30 and his other twin daughter Fran who is 5.
Frank & Harry leave Jan 1 2012 and are back (according to their time) in April the same year but really 9 years have passed so it is Jan 1 2021.
His wife is now 39 while Harry has aged only 4 months
His daughter has grown to be 14 while Frank is still 5.
In this scenario you could truly say that Harry & Frank have traveled forward in time.

I know
as hell

edit on 31-10-2012 by HawkeyeNation because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I think when you go to sleep you go to sleep, when your awake and write about Time Travel without a PHD then
nobody cares what you say.

Now myself, I just like to read SCI FI books on time travel and watch movies on time travel and hear Dr. Michio Kaku give his take on Time travel.

Now I'm sleepy...

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Time itself is an illusion. Doesn't really exist as you perceive it. Past, present, future all co-exist at the same "time".

I am utterly stunned by this statement.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   

....I hope to God that wasn't a serious statement.....

Edit: Looks like someone beat me posting the Billy Madison video. Oh well, here it is again for good measure.

edit on 31-10-2012 by Rumsfeldstiltskin because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by HawkeyeNation

I'll post my theory here shortly. I have to find it as I posted it not too long ago.

Please re read the first part of my post.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Rumsfeldstiltskin

Heck no...

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Here's a crazy idea.

Everybody time travels forward in time a little bit every day as long as they keep moving.

As you get closer to the speed of light time slows down for you effectively making you time travel forwards in time. So you have 'still' where time is normal right up to light speed where you are moving forwards in time at a faster rate than normal. All speeds in between still and light speed are still traveling forwards in time but at lesser degrees. So the person walking along at 5 miles an hr is moving forward in time at a slightly smaller rate then the person who is standing still. The difference is so small you probably couldn't measure it over a lifetime but it is still there.

edit on 31-10-2012 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Nice job on the Billy Madison vids.

Okay, a simple "wrong" would've done just fine.
edit on 31-10-2012 by HawkeyeNation because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by HawkeyeNation

Please re read the first part of my post.

Well I got your illusion part but that was about it

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Android X
I have thought about time travel and it is possible, but only forward. This came a a thought one day. Mentally, we travel to the future every time we fall asleep while physically our body stays. For example: Two people are in a room. One falls asleep while the other stays awake. The person asleep already knows what the next day is like. This is because, as we sleep, the hours that pass feel like mere minutes and time seems to fly as we sleep. So while the one person is awake, the person that is asleep in the room, mentally, is already awake and ready for the next day while physically he is viewed as asleep. What are your opinions on this theory and time travel in general?

Errrrmmm....

NO.

Next....

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Bad analogy. Time zones merely help us perceive time. He is not 12 hours ahead in time, his clock simply has a different position because the sun rises and sets at a different time for him. When you talk to him for 1 hour, how much time passes for him? 1 hour. Time is constant for you both.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Any good conversation about time travel should include the RATE at which time flows, and our perception of it.

We measure time in seconds. Atomic clocks measure vibrations of a Cesium atom, mere fractions of a second. Planck time, the smallest coherent measurable amount of time is something to the order of 10^-23 of a second. Us finicky humans perceive time on our own frame of reference, sometimes making it difficult to perceive the scales of time other non-sentient things experience.

We experience time moving forward at all times, it's just the way our bodies have adapted to life on this planet. Without that "sense" of time, reality wouldn't be the same.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Let me ask you this, does an inch exist? How about a liter? Now I am not asking if and inch of wood or a liter of water exist, but rather the inch or liter itself. As I say, hand me an inch and I will give you a barrel full of minutes.

Actually, the universe exists in a single state at any given moment. However, there are constant physical and chemical changes as the universe changes. Now remember, it doesn't change in time but changes in appearance (Water evaporates, trees grow etc...). Time is nothing more than the measurement of these regular changes. There is neither a past or a future but change only.

The past lives within our memories and the future thrives in our imagination.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Android X

Perception does not equal time travel. By your theory, we should be able to fall asleep for five minutes and then know what will happen for the five hours.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join