It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Romney Campaign Staged Donations At Storm Relief Event

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Tazkven

Oh Jesus..........it makes his 5 thousand dollars, and aides going out and purchasing canned goods look really bad.........That video is hilarious!

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by NorEaster

States other than NJ were affected by the storm. If you folks don't want the canned goods I bet some of those other people affected by the storm won't mind taking the donations. You can wait on the Red Cross or government or gather some gumption and take some responsibility for yourself and your neighbors. Take the donations and find a way to use the canned goods. When people put their ideas together wonderful things can happen especially in a crisis. For myself, I've seen the mess the government can leave behind. You can wait on them or you can start trying to do things yourself. Thats what America is made up of; strong men and women who rely on their selves. I feel so sorry for everyone affected but the healing will not be given by anyone but you. And yes you deserve to get federal help. After all its not their money it belongs to all the tax payers in the United States and I'm sure they want to see it used for good.

edit on 1-11-2012 by ladyoutlaw because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ThirdEyeofHorus

The Eton hand crank Red Cross radio is the best gift in the world to give and get. I'm not a paid shill- I'm looking at mine right now. We have it where we can get our hands on it. I have the one with the cell phone charger.
I choose to be bipartisan about this, because I, too, am in tornado ally, and have worked with the Red Cross. Anyone doing anything positive towards the situation, I appreciate.
Maybe I'm just tired of the piddly squabbling.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   
How is this news? We all know Romney is a phoney candidate. Anyone that votes for this guy really needs his head examined.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   
OBAMA supporter in disguise, Mitt Romney has given more in charity in his life than the average millionaire makes. This is certainly a line of BS straight out of Chicagoland, just like the man said " why waste a perfectly good crisis"

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Call me the fly in the ointment for reminders of the obvious...but while we all condemn Mitt Romney for being an evil scumbag because he is a millionaire, lets not forget credit where credit is due all around. Obama was a millionaire a few times over when he arrived...and he'll be leaving a few times more than he was then. I haven't seen rock solid proof that the 30 Million dollar residence in Hawaii rumored to be for him is actually going to be his..but it wouldn't shock me.

No one....but no one...in that level of politics is broke or has any real clue what we normal people experience in figuring out how to make a grocery bill work for the month or how to pay the cell phone, mortgage and power bills without having to cut one for the sake of another. None of them have the slightest CLUE....so rich is a relative thing.

They're BOTH millionaires. It's just questions of degree after that...or to put another way, looking at a sea of crap and choosing one turd over another as being particularly stinky.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by DOLCOTT
OBAMA supporter in disguise, Mitt Romney has given more in charity in his life than the average millionaire makes. This is certainly a line of BS straight out of Chicagoland, just like the man said " why waste a perfectly good crisis"

Bull#!
10% are tithe for his mormon church. If he skimps on that they put a lien on his planet when he is dead.
15% are a "charitable fund"-tax avoidance scheme that pays next to nothing in charity, yet gives huge taxbreaks (Illegal since 1997, he started his in 1996)
and 13% of his charitable giving is .... Taxes! Yes. Romeny counts taxes as charity.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   
OK....I admit I couldn't get past the first page of this nonsense but the first few posts were all I needed.

Uh, yeah, staged donations - brilliant way to falsely gain adoration as the news agencies are ALL OVER this story.

Whoever said "donated items are not wanted, they want money"......I would have to completely disagree. I spent time in an area devestated by Tropical Storm Lee last year (my mom lost half her home, her neighbor lost all of his) and I can personally GUARANTEE you that donated items were well received by all going through the nightmare. Where do people come up with this stuff?

I said it then, I'll say it again. The MOST helpful assistance was the spontaneous involvement of any and all people who were willing to give whatever they had. ....er uh, and guess what - it all staged from the local churches. Clothes (donated) piled to the ceilings......gift cards (donated money) for everything from gas to walmart to visa cards.......small appliances (donated)........medical supplies, paper towels (you wouldn't BELIEVE how many of them you go through), buckets, rope, soap, towels, you name it. Tons and tons of toys and games (donated) - don't underestimate how valuable things like that are when you are trying to console children who may have just lost everything. Brown bag lunches (donated and homebaked cookies) delivered door to door by friends for friends. That bagged lunch was like heaven after standing in piles of muck and broken furniture and lives for hours. People just going door to door to "see what they could do".....it was awful and awesome at the same time.

Why does this have to be political and why do people have to have opinions determined to place limitations on the goodheartedness of others? Oh well, continue and have your fun.

Blah.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyoutlaw

Well said Lady and you are exactly right! The Red Cross came through but there were....problems....still help eventually did get there, not sure how efficiently though. The individual help from fellow neighbors = immediate and 100%.

BTW my mom's FEMA $$ = the same amount almost to the dollar she got in 1972 when virtually the same damage occurred after Hurricane Agnes. Every little bit counts but relatively speaking it was a joke. That's why you don't depend on the gov't.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
No way to know if this claim is true or not. In any case I wouldn't give Romney OR the Red Crooks a dime. If you want to help, donate money, food and or time to your local food bank or shelter.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by joyride0187
Your source is a Liberal Blog and you are a troll. Americans should come together to help the victims regardless of political affiliation.

This story is all across the news now - -except for FOX and its fellow travelers of course.

So someone posts a thread about the bogusness of a Romney event and you call him a troll? Nice. And because the source may be a liberal site it is wrong? Yet ATS is rife with posts slamming Obama, citing rush Limbaugh, Glen Beck, the Washington Times and FAUX news. Not very biased, are you?

As for coming together to help the victims, the Rd Cross -- to which these items were to be donated -- specifically requests that people send monetary donations, not supplies; hence the Romney folks weren't really do the Red Cross or the hurricane victims any favors, they just wanted to stage a photo op of Romney receiving hurricane relief supply donations. It was a crass political stunt, and that is why the OP posted this.

If you are for people coming together over this hurricane and not politicizing it, then you should be criticizing Romney, not the OP, who is just the messenger.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by CT_Flyboy
No way to know if this claim is true or not. In any case I wouldn't give Romney OR the Red Crooks a dime. If you want to help, donate money, food and or time to your local food bank or shelter.

How is your local food bank or shelter going to help hurricane victims if you don't live in or around New Jersey?

No way to know if the claims are true or not? Check at the Red Cross webpage to see what they ask for in the way of donations, and then view and listen to the video of what Romney says about collecting donated items. And you will have to take the word of reporters who talked with people at the event. But you know, that's how journalism works: reporters talk to people and then they report the story.

I am going to take a guess, though, and suggest that you're a Romney supporter and that anything FOX, Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh or the Washing Times says bad about Obama you take as fact.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by glad_to_be_His
OK....I admit I couldn't get past the first page of this nonsense but the first few posts were all I needed.

Uh, yeah, staged donations - brilliant way to falsely gain adoration as the news agencies are ALL OVER this story.

Whoever said "donated items are not wanted, they want money"......I would have to completely disagree. I spent time in an area devestated by Tropical Storm Lee last year (my mom lost half her home, her neighbor lost all of his) and I can personally GUARANTEE you that donated items were well received by all going through the nightmare. Where do people come up with this stuff?

I said it then, I'll say it again. The MOST helpful assistance was the spontaneous involvement of any and all people who were willing to give whatever they had. ....er uh, and guess what - it all staged from the local churches. Clothes (donated) piled to the ceilings......gift cards (donated money) for everything from gas to walmart to visa cards.......small appliances (donated)........medical supplies, paper towels (you wouldn't BELIEVE how many of them you go through), buckets, rope, soap, towels, you name it. Tons and tons of toys and games (donated) - don't underestimate how valuable things like that are when you are trying to console children who may have just lost everything. Brown bag lunches (donated and homebaked cookies) delivered door to door by friends for friends. That bagged lunch was like heaven after standing in piles of muck and broken furniture and lives for hours. People just going door to door to "see what they could do".....it was awful and awesome at the same time.

Why does this have to be political and why do people have to have opinions determined to place limitations on the goodheartedness of others? Oh well, continue and have your fun.

Blah.

I'm sure the victims would be glad to get any donated goods, however the organization getting supplies to them, The Red Cross, specifically requests money donations. Check its website. There is too much logistical hassle to accept items, sort and examine them, and then transport them across the country. I'm sure if you are in the area and can go to some relief staging camp they would be happy to recieve supplies, but these are two different things.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Missing Blue Sky
reply to post by Sissel

Here is a New York Liberal's take on Romneys charitable giving...he says "But the release of these tax records leaves no doubt about one thing: Mitt Romney is an extraordinarily, remarkably, astonishingly generous man. A good man. Maybe even a great man."

Read it for yourself...he paid his share of taxes
www.nypost.com...[/url]

I am not even a big Romney supporter...just think it is vile of you to criticize people for trying to help Sandy victims and keep their campaign going. They are doing a good deed. get over it. What have you done to help so far?

ARE YOU KIDDING ME? John Podhoretz a liberal????

He is a notorious extreme conservative. Get real. Claiming this guy is a liberal shows you to be extremely out of touch with reality and/or clueless, or mendacious as all get out.

Moreover, the NY Post is notoriously reactionary and conservative. You obviously don't know what you're talking about.

If Romney wanted to truly help he could have had some system set up at the event for donating money to the Red Cross, but what he wanted was a photo op. This was a political stunt. And given the millions that his campaign has spent and the hundreds of millions his PACs have spent, a $5000 donation of goods -- that aren't even wanted by the Red Cross -- is just an absolute joke. They bought $5000 in goods so that people coming to the event who didn't bring anything would have something to hand to Romney for the cameras.
edit on 2-11-2012 by MrInquisitive because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Want to feel like your doing something while doing nothing?
Donate food...takes more money and resources to transport food (unneeded) to the area than to give money directly to organizations in the thick of it.

So ya, keep your peanut butter, send the money instead..else don't bother, because your "help" is actually a hinderance.

Romney wanted to campaign, thats fine..its campaign season..I don't hold it against a politician for trying to turn a disaster into a opportunity, but at least make sure your giving valueable actual helpful advice while taking advantage of the situation. A blood wagon for blood donations and some representitives to take donations right there would have been far more helpful than some dudes giving some canned peas to have transported hundreds of miles across no go zones aimed at giving people with plenty of food some extra canned foods they can't cook.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Have you seen what's happening on Staten Island? People have nothing!! NO food no clothes no fuel and no one is helping!!!! Bodies floating in the street... NYC is still moving forward with the Marathon and Bloomberg is hoarding fuel to power two massive generators to power tents for the runners, and pulling resources to staff and service the event that could be used to HELP people in dire need... WTH is wrong here?? All politics aside... you are about to see a very ugly moment in US history as neighbors are already turning on neighbors... Unions in a couple of towns are turning away help from non union out of state utility workers

Surely they could use FOOD! People are dumpster diving in NYC and the stores are empty. The suggested 3 day supply of emergency food as indicated by FEMA has run out for most people who were able to stay in their homes. Others were forced out of their homes with NOTHING.... They are still waiting for help even from the Red Cross....

So, criticizing a campaign event turned relief effort is rather sad... People were donating food and instructed on how to donate money as well... Move ON...

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Grimpachi
Many people do not understand why the Red Cross wants money instead of tangible items.

The reason is simple enough that anyone can understand. In the instance of food the Red Cross is nonprofit so they can buy more food with less money than individuals can so in essence the money goes much further and helps more people one of the reasons is that they are not taxed. Everyone knows that when you buy bulk you get more. This is just one instance where money is better to donate than items.

Romney should know this however I am not surprised by anything with him anymore.

If you really want to help send money if you want publicity go hand out peanut butter after you have them watch your propaganda.
edit on 31-10-2012 by Grimpachi because: add

Not only that, but it costs money to ship stuff across the country and with the rail system down, that's hard to do. They can buy stuff in bulk on site after they determine what people really need, and they don't have to drag or ship thousands of items that are useless.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by HappyBunny

Yeah, I guess we should give to the Red Cross instead.

politicker.com...

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   
From where I live, a food drive would result in food being deliverd in about 5 hours after its end. Ohio is not much further away. And I am certain that caring companies would volunteer their trucks.

So how do you all feel now that you have learned that folks are dumpster diving? Are you ashamed of yourselves yet? Or do you have no shame?

edit on 2-11-2012 by elouina because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by MrInquisitive

I understand all about how the Red Cross works....I was there....and though i don't want to criticize them outright because I think they are a fantastic organization.....there were a lot of problems involving them in the area at the time as far as inefficiency and a few fingers pointing at outright corruption. The closer to the nest the better is all.....

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join