It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Romney Campaign Staged Donations At Storm Relief Event

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 03:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tazkven
reply to post by FlyersFan

Think Progree gives credit to Buzzfeed. I have no idea of their political affliations ...

Think Progress is a Soros funded operation.

newsbusters.org...

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 03:44 AM
link   
Think Progress is a hard core left wing site that lies about conservatives People that hate Romney like you guys would attack him if he didnt do anything at all so hes damed by you if he does and damed by you if he doesnt

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 03:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Itsabigdeal456
reply to post by elouina

I never said I had a problem with canned food. And I'm sure many are thankful for the donation. But come on a few cans of beans and spam from a potential president is weak. I'm pretty sure he could have done something more influential.

Well you never know, it could be canned vichyssoise or Le Seure Green Peas or even Amy's vegetarian chili. Are you that picky that you expect a hot meal from Red Lobster in emergencies? I have been stocking up on canned goods ever since 3 hurricanes crossed over my city in one year. Also some other things like non-perishables...flashlights batteries toilet paper handcrank weather radios CAN OPENERS aluminum foil plastic knives and forks paper plates. Stuff like that.

If you get a chance, read "The Road". It may give you a more balanced perspective on survival.

edit on 1-11-2012 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 03:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Well said... I apologise if I offended anyone in the affected storm area. I just think anything done for anyone in the wake of this tragedy is to be commended because it is the right thing to do.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by elouina
reply to post by Sissel

Ok, I really didn't have more time, but I wanted you and everyone here to see this.

Here is Romney's Official 2011 tax return

Romney’s 2011 tax return shows charitable contributions totaling a little over $4 million, meaning he donated 30 percent of his income. Romney’s 2010 tax return shows charitable contribution of almost $3 million, meaning he donated about 11 percent of his income to charity.

And as for the 20-year summary of the GOP candidate’s tax returns his campaign released Friday, Romney donates on average 13.45 percent of his adjusted gross income to charity each year.

“That’s nearly twice the rate of President Obama, who according to his tax returns from 2000 through 2011 donated just less than 7 percent of his adjusted gross income to charities,” the Washington Times notes.

Oh and I must say, wake up. No matter what Romney did or didn't do it would be scrutinized. Yes he had to go out and do visible charity work vs cutting a silent check for a mil. It was expected of him by the public. Just like it was expected of Obama.
edit on 31-10-2012 by elouina because: (no reason given)

Well said. oops I read a while back Biden donated more than the Obamas but I guess the Obamas found a charity worthy of their money from his ghost written books.
edit on 1-11-2012 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 04:09 AM
link   
reply to post by SassyCass

Let me think, free peanut butter as long as I watch a 10-minute video about Romney’s life? HELL NO !

ranks right up there with root canal and frontal lobotomies in my book.
If your gonna help thy neighbour than help, without strings attached

i almost choked on my mini pretzel hahaha too funny lol, and true enough about the help, when you volunteer or donate, you dont parade yourself around. its like the things they have you sign after you give a dollar or more and they hang it up on store window, i just give the money and keep walking same for veterans, jimmy fund and the slew of charities i always seem to get gang raped by but hey least its going to a good cause. if you want to help, help. if your doing it so everyone else can see your doing it, who are you really helping, your ego ^^

the only thing i accept is from the the schools when they do drives for sports and such, screw that get a paper route buy your own damn uniform, ill take that candy bar ty ^^ j/k

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 04:40 AM
link   
This site has hit a new all time low with this thread and this subject.

How dare a presidential candidate try to gather donations to help people after a major storm. I mean, what a terrible, terrible man he must be to try to help a bunch of ingrates in blue states -- of all places.

Get a grip people. Obama supporters truly frighten me with their hate and ignorance. I hope once he loses the election all of them crawl back in their holes and stay out of adult politics.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Way to many posts to reply to them all but I will try ...

*No I am not a scumbag.

*Yes, I think giving to people in need is a good thing.

*No, I do not care about what charities Romney has gave to or what Obama has not.

*No, I do not care about Romney's tax returns.

*Yes, I am biased ... I do not like Romney. He is the poster child of the 1% and got rich by unemploying middle class Americans and sending their jobs to China.

*Yes, I would call Obama out to, I have no party ties and don't like politicians

Why Do I Have A Problem With This?
The donations were used as a "prop" to be used during a "photo-op" during a Romney Campaign Event that was disguised as a "relief event". In other words the whole thing was faked to make us believe it was something it was not. This deception is on a whole new level and is disgusting ... No matter who it is.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 04:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Sissel

Sissell,

Once again I'll state, IF YOU'LL LOOK AT HIS INCOME TAX INFORMATION, he did not write off all of his charitable contributions, so NO, not all of his contributions went toward reducing his income tax.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 06:14 AM
link   
I don't believe for one moment that Obama or Romney cares about anyone in this disaster. It's all propaganda and staged compassion.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by joyride0187
Obama is doing his part and Romney is doing his part too. Forget politics there are fellow Americans that need help!! Pitch in or donate but stop bitching about political motives.
edit on 31-10-2012 by joyride0187 because: (no reason given)

Total blind cop out... the OP is justly passing on breaking news of what one of the candidates for POTUS is doing during a national crisis. People need to be made aware of what our leaders do in high stress, critical situations... Romney's true character of self- centeredness and disconnection from the average person gets revealed every time.

He, "thinks New Jersey..." haha

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seeker Mom
This site has hit a new all time low with this thread and this subject.

How dare a presidential candidate try to gather donations to help people after a major storm. I mean, what a terrible, terrible man he must be to try to help a bunch of ingrates in blue states -- of all places.

The story is about Romney's campaign buying $5,000 worth of canned food props to hand out at the door of a political rally so that they could still hold it after announcing that they weren't going to hold any rally that day in respect of the fact that the Eastern seaboard was being smashed by a hurricane. They staged a photo op, and lied about what the event actually was. The Red Cross and all other relief organizations DON'T WANT STUFF THAT MAKES THEIR JOBS HARDER TO PERFORM. And Romney already knows this - since he was a governor. They have to dedicate important and critical human assets to processing the stuff and readying it for shipment to the affected areas, when what they really need is to have those human assets on the ground and distributing prepacked, presorted and prepared relief products to the people that need them.

This isn't a hunger relief effort in a 3rd world country. This is an immediate need situation in the most populated region of the entire nation. These folks have canned beans already. They have canned chili and pork and beans. Giving a can of food to a family that's trying to figure out where to sleep for the night isn't doing them any favors. The Red Cross has a system, and that system works in these kinds of situations. If you want to help, then help in the manner that THEY tell you to help. Otherwise, you're getting in the way.

Hell, that truck full of grocery bags isn't even going to be able to make it into the areas where the Red Cross are most busy right now. And if it does, the groceries won't even be bothered with. It was just a stupid stunt that some campaign hack thought was a brilliant way around the promise to stand down for a day, and Romney was too stupid to realize that it'd be widely seen as the stupid stunt that it was.

Get a grip people. Obama supporters truly frighten me with their hate and ignorance. I hope once he loses the election all of them crawl back in their holes and stay out of adult politics.

You sound loving and enlightened. What will you do if Obama wins? Go back to the barricades and dream up a new conspiracy angle to attack with? The bets are that you folks will completely flip out and purge even deeper into your own party in an effort to purify it of all remaining vestiges of rationality. I don't know if that's true, but that's where the serious money is on next week's fallout.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
reply to post by HappyBunny

If the Red Cross WON'T accept ( I understand why), then the items could surely be used by any other group that seeks to help in the days and weeks to come. During the Katrina aftermath, I traveled with a group from my church to the greater N.O. area. Two Vans of people and a U Haul full of food, water, tents, blankets, clothes and tools...

Then there is always the local food bank... Its all good.... Amazing how the govt gimme gimmes are so anti charity in this thread.... Hilarious...

Let me ask you something. When you headed down to NO after Katrina, did they know you were coming?

You can donate to the food bank, certainly. But it won't make it to NY or NJ. It will be used to feed people in your area, which isn't a bad thing.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by joyride0187
Your source is a Liberal Blog and you are a troll. Americans should come together to help the victims regardless of political affiliation.

Tell that to Mitt then, he is trying to score political points out of peoples suffering !

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Well so what?...Romney gave away money to avoid being taxed on it...whoopee-do. I could stinking care less. The biggest recipient of his "charity" was his own "charitable organization". So...like that's a big flipping surprise.

When you are that wealthy, you have to give it away...it's common sense.

As far as who is better equipped to handle a "community in crisis"...I hate to say it, but it is Obama...he was a community organizer...Romney...doesn't have a clue about things like "community"...

I do not support either of these turds. Their agenda will be given to them the day after inauguration...regardless who wins. If you do not realize that the puppet masters are calling the shots, feel free to stay in fantasy land with the unicorns and elves.

They are two wings of the same bird of prey.

You can "hope for change" in one hand and crap in the other and see which one fills up first.

They are not going to make your or my life one ounce better...they are only there to be the face and figurehead of the shadows.

Get over it. If you want to really make a difference, start by removing all incumbent Senators and Representatives and all career political positions...elected or appointed...then vote in an Independent or third party President. If you are not willing to do these things...you are sleeping and dreaming and have no clue what it is going to take to set things right.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tazkven

Just to be safe, campaign aides reportedly spent $5,000 at a local Wal-Mart on supplies that could be put on display. When supporters arrived at the rally-turned-relief event, they were treated to the 10-minute video about Romney’s life, which was first unveiled at the RNC. The event ended with supporters lined up to hand over supplies and meet Romney. But according to BuzzFeed, this donation process was also staged:

Empty-handed supporters pled for entrance, with one woman asking, “What if we dropped off our donations up front?”

The volunteer gestured toward a pile of groceries conveniently stacked near the candidate. “Just grab something,” he said.

Two teenage boys retrieved a jar of peanut butter each, and got in line. When it was their turn, they handed their “donations” to Romney. He took them, smiled, and offered an earnest “Thank you.”

Think Progress
EDIT:Original Source via Buzzfeed.com

Sounds about right, Romney trying to make himself look good and take advantage of the disaster. Don't surprise me, this guy is corporate scum through and through ...
edit on 31-10-2012 by Tazkven because: (no reason given)

The worst part is that he forget to tell everyone that they will be receiving a bill in the mail for the "processing" of their "donations". The money raised in processing the fake donations will then go to the "relief effort" after Romney's costs are covered. RomneyCo takes a 60% "management" fee that goes directly to his tax shelter in the Cayman Islands and another 37% is used for "job creation" at a call center in India, as there will no doubt be a lot phone calls from people wondering what the bill is for leaving 3% for the "relief efforts".

But don't worry. The 60% that Romney personally skimmed off the top and didn't pay taxes on will help "stimulate" economic growth as well. You see...Romney is planning on spending 100% of his tax-sheltered proceeds directly in one of the hardest hit cities in order to "create jobs". Specifically, he's going to spend it on Wall Street in a hostile takeover of some type of troubled company so he can dismantle it and create a bunch of new jobs....in China.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   
So the original post is political in nature. How are you any better? Should your time not be spent helping those in need instead of playing politics? You claim he only helped because it was politically expedient. I would bet Romney would have helped if he was not running for POTUS. Meanwhile Obama has a brother in Kenya living in a 6x6 mud hut while he just bought a 35 million dollar home in Hawaii. Caring by deed is much more convincing than the spoken word.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
reply to post by Sissel

Sissell,

Once again I'll state, IF YOU'LL LOOK AT HIS INCOME TAX INFORMATION, he did not write off all of his charitable contributions, so NO, not all of his contributions went toward reducing his income tax.

You are absolutely right. Do you know why? It is in the link I provided on page 4. It is because if he did write them off they would drop his tax rate below 13% which he stated he has never paid less than. Do not worry because after the election he will re file which is his right and get those deductions.

The only thing it proves is that Romney lied about his tax rate and that many Americans are too dumb to realize when they have been lied to and duped.

Please try another.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Its Mitt Romney Style !

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   

OMG that was hilarious. I wish I could give you infinite stars for that. I nearly shot coffee out my nose.

I do not understand how anyone thinks this guy is in any way for the people. Like someone said he probably spent more on one of his suits than on helping these people.

It is better than the last disaster he showed up to where a woman asked what she should do after telling him her house was destroyed(no longer there) and he said go home and call for help.

new topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join