It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POST SANDY: "People are turning on each other -- they're attacking each other"

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   
I have a question about them tweeting the looting.
It might take a while, but can't the police find them because of that?

Seems pretty brilliant to me!
(sarcasm)

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by chiefsmom

(sarcasm)

That is how many were caught after the London riots. You can bet your bottom dollar that those in Washington were looking at that aspect with interest!

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian

(sarcasm)

That is how many were caught after the London riots. You can bet your bottom dollar that those in Washington were looking at that aspect with interest!

My own personal favourite tweeted looted pic from the London riots.

edit on 1-11-2012 by khimbar because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by khimbar

hahahaha, I need a permalink to this. Are there any more? I know this is a terrible situation, but this is pretty funny

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by khimbar

Wow!
You can't get much more brazen than that. So much for good old fashion common sense.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by vvedanta
reply to post by khimbar

hahahaha, I need a permalink to this. Are there any more? I know this is a terrible situation, but this is pretty funny

And this genius.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by chiefsmom

One of the problems with tracking the looting via twitter is that some are hoaxing the looting tweets. One guy even claimed to have looted a cat along with other things. He now says he already owned everything & that he doesn't live in a "lootable" area.

But here is a memorable one from this storm:

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   

reply to post by khimbar

Wow!
You can't get much more brazen than that. So much for good old fashion common sense.

Sadly, it isn't brazen. It wouldn't even have occurred to these numpties that what they were doing was a bad idea. So, instead of brazen, it is sheer stupidity. Makes me sad that people are actually that thick in this day and age.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   
This kind of looting happens whenever there is a disaster. I think if law enforcement started to shoot a few of the looters, others would see it and the looting wouldn't happen so much. When you leave this stuff unchecked the criminals numbers grow. I cannot fathom how our nation got this bad, our ancestors would have never let this kind of stuff happen. I believe in doing things occasionally to keep people from turning evil. I know this sounds harsh but I am trying to show that less tolerance can keep the honest man honest. If the youth knew they could get shot for breaking in a place without the owner suffering consequences, maybe they wouldn't follow their friends to doing this. My thoughts is to make charges against someone protecting their property impossible. Just because a building is damaged doesn't give a person the right to steal from within it.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Historically speaking, it is actually the case that disaster of this magnitude actually do bring out the worst in people. There are numerous historical testaments to this.

Unfortunately, for all it brings us together, there are always going to be those that find such things as a perfect excuse to prey on others. At least these days we have the technology to name and shame. Sadly though, i suspect if this were to happen to some, rather than be ashamed they would instead wear it as a badge of honour.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian
reply to post by rickymouse

Historically speaking, it is actually the case that disaster of this magnitude actually do bring out the worst in people. There are numerous historical testaments to this.

Looting rose by a massive percentage in London during the blitz. Many criminal gangs that existed for decades, possibly still do, started then.

People tend to expect the best of people all the time, or think that deep down people are all generally decent and good. It's a delusion.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by doobydoll

You're right doobydoll, that was a bit harsh. There might be some people who have absolutely nothing to spare but here in America most of the "poor" have nice phones, big screen tvs, laptops etc and often drive a decent car.
Those with no resources I feel badly for, those who chose not to prepare however I think have no right to complain.
Most of us have little to spare so it's a matter of priorities. I go without cable TV, dining out, movies etc so I can allocate resources to things like stocking up on perishable foods, lamp oil, etc. I don't get much out of it except the knowledge that in an emergency I can still feed my family. I've been through several storms before that knocked out power for weeks and kept stores closed.

I rather doubt most of those complaining had even given a minute's thought to being prepared for any type of emergency event and think the government's job is to come bail them out instantly. It can take days, even weeks for them to get around to helping everyone and it's naive to think they should be on your doorstep in the next day or 2.

Even the poorest here have food stamps (ADC card) and can get food so for the vast majority I really feel there was no good excuse for not having enough food to last a couple of days. It's not like Sandra just snuck up on everyone and said "Surprise!".

We all had several days warning.
It was their choice to ignore it.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by khimbar

People are good when times are good. When the chips are down though, base instinct seems to kick in for many people.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   
The problem coming is many people have been coddled and given what they want now a few days without power and they are going crazy. If OBummer loses next week you can be sure of lawsuits because somebody couldn't get to the polling station. Anybody want to bet

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals

Even the poorest here have food stamps (ADC card) and can get food so for the vast majority I really feel there was no good excuse for not having enough food to last a couple of days. It's not like Sandra just snuck up on everyone and said "Surprise!".

We all had several days warning.
It was their choice to ignore it.

I'd be interested in seeing these pantrys and cupboards to find out how many actually have nothing to eat and how many just dont have anything they'd like to eat.

I read once that the average household has enough food to last a week just in the stuff they dont want to eat. Like old boxes of almost gone oatmeal and canned fish they never ate.

I know there's enough food in my home to last more than a week. It's just all crap I've bought on a whim or because I thought I'd use it or because I never finished it before opening another package. An unintentional surplus that built up over years of grocery shopping.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   
It's a sad thing to see how "we the people" really are in case of emergency. Looters are the most brainwashed sheeple on this rock if they are just looting for stupid stuff like electronics and money. Those sheeple are just jealous and ignorant materialistic beings. Not that i don't own anything, but at least i payed for what i own, and worked to pay for fore mentioned.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   
not sure if this was mentioned - but i find the stark contrast between how Japan handled their tsunami crisis and how the US handles their own crisis very interesting, . there was NO looting in Japan - there was order. cooperation. dare i say 'honor' amidst the tragedy. in the US, we behave like a feral dog who was let off the leash. any chance we get to display our most base nature.. woo-hoo!!

i am sure there are plenty of cultural reasons why this stark contrast is so. i will leave that to the anthropologists out there.

be safe up there in the North East. and sane.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by mythos

I disagree.

The only difference is in the press coverage.

The looting in the US has been minimal, and in most cases neighbors are helping each other out. There was also minimal looting in Japan.

The difference is what the press chose to report. In the US, the press latched onto dramatic images of crime and distrust, while in Japan the press latched onto dramatic images of sacrifice and caring.

The people are no different, just the press.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by mythos

Yea, it's really sad that so many people in America have no honor today. It seems that for the most part it's the people that didn't have much honor to begin with. I wish more people had pride in being an American. I get that there isn't a ton to be proud of at the moment, but still it's home regardless of that.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by darkhorserider
reply to post by mythos

The looting in the US has been minimal, and in most cases neighbors are helping each other out. There was also minimal looting in Japan.

The people are no different, just the press.

communities.washingtontimes.com...

www.terradaily.com...
www.msnbc.msn.com...

i disagree.

edit on 1-11-2012 by mythos because: fixed links

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join