It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POST SANDY: "People are turning on each other -- they're attacking each other"

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 11:59 PM
link   
With so many peoples house mortgages "under water" lol IM sure the flood isn't the only incentive to set the houses on fire, also if its poor areas, the cities may be doing it themselves to clean out the poor areas so they can build nice areas and push the ghettos back further . or possibly even the banks, to either get rid of people that cant pay them back, or when new million dollar houses are built, property values will go up.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 12:12 AM
link   
I wonder whether the people who were doing okay will now empathise with those who have not been doing so well? I speak of the homeless and then those who had homes but lost them during the 'mortgage' fiasco and the government bailed out the banks.

It seems to me that - should this be a government engineered disaster - it is going to obliterate the class structure , at least for awhile. Maybe that is why people are running around stealing televisions and clothes - they see it at a chance to get something previously unaffordable.

I am not saying it is right - just trying to see the psychology of the behaviour. We live in a world - when everything is not devastated - where life is totally focussed on going to work to earn the money to live a certain lifestyle - whatever that lifestyle might be.

Just looking at the situation and wondering when people will realise that possessions are not the be all to end all. An empty home can be filled with laughter - something that would be a comfort to those who no longer have a home let alone laughter.

Much Peace...may sanity and rebuilding come swiftly...

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 12:30 AM
link   
I’m sitting here reading all the horrors of Sandy, watching ID on the TV about spouses and partners killing each other and reading conspiracy theories and ideas on ATS. I have listened to Chris Christie voice his opinion of the campaigns vs. Sandy. I guess it’s all in perspective to one’s priorities and the issues pressing at the moment. In the havoc of it all, I have an overwhelming sense of calm…..I don’t know, it’s surreal. A peace, if you will, in appreciation that I have my life, my health, my children, and hope for tomorrow. I am appreciating what I do have, the safety that has not been compromised, the comfort of security, yet a sorrow for those suffering from loss, loss of all that I am feeling secure in. It is only by chance that those of us in the positive are not in the negative. Or is it?

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 12:53 AM
link   
We are all vulnerable. Some people will sit there and starve to death before they resort to looting, but many cannot sit by and watch their children suffer or themselves for others. Everyone has a breaking point.

If the supplies were brought in faster, if we had learned something humanitarian about the logistics of disaster instead of focusing solely on security and continuity of bureaucracy, then this would not be a problem.

This situation creates a huge rift between the haves and the have nots. Shock, fear, anger, uncertainty, can create negative actions.

I think back to Katrina, how hours turned to days and days to weeks for the most vulnerable, help was not forthcoming, help even seemed to turn on the best most respectable people. The criminals are another subject but survival mode for those unaccustomed is like seeing a totally different dimension.

Get the word out, reassure people and get the supplies flowing.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

THIS DESERVES A THREAD OF ITS OWN. Fly in the food and aid workers, set up whatever needs they have and get it done. We need to spot light this. Did not know until I read this. Dont let Americans get back to normal before it is normal for every person in peril.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Looters In NY & NJ not in the news? Amazing. The looting was such a big deal with Katrina because it was mostly minorities. Nothing worth reporting if every type of person is looting. There's no bias to be create, no negative stereotype to harvest & spin to the public.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 01:05 AM
link   
I wonder if anyone has considered there may have been a good reason for trying to keep the news of looting quiet as long as possible? If they really are losing control after dark...the literal block by block wealth in New York City is hard to imagine....if, say, you were coming from outside the area with just one thing on your mind. How many thousands or more times over? They may have been trying to stop a criminal gold rush while civil order is real weak.

edit on 1-11-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 01:11 AM
link   
During Katrina, someone had a police scanner link.
I've been looking for a working one, but can't find it.

edit on 1-11-2012 by TheCounselor because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by TheCounselor

New York City Emergency Dispatch Live Feeds

You can click around to move to other areas to see their text tactical alerts or other forms of wide area bulletins as well as the links to live feeds. Pretty much everything in the U.S.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by loam
MORE:

Tempers flare in NJ city where thousands stranded

HOBOKEN, N.J. (AP) — Officials in the city of Hoboken, N.J., are defending their response to severe flooding from superstorm Sandy.

Public Safety director Jon Tooke says at least 25 percent of the city on the Hudson River across from Manhattan remains under water. He estimates at least 20,000 people are stranded and says most are being encouraged to shelter in place until floodwaters recede.

Tempers flared Wednesday morning outside City Hall as some residents complained the city was slow to get food and other supplies out to the stranded.

This is playing out just like New Orleans...

20,000 people stranded!

That's definitely not good.....

I think that's why they suggest at least a weeks worth of food/water.......
I'ts hard to get to every body right away and there's always some people that feel abandoned.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 02:03 AM
link   
reply to post by snarky412

How is this possible? We can get food to other countries after bombing them to bits, but can't get it to 20,000 Americans right there in Jersey?

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by LightWarrior11
Looters In NY & NJ not in the news? Amazing. The looting was such a big deal with Katrina because it was mostly minorities. Nothing worth reporting if every type of person is looting. There's no bias to be create, no negative stereotype to harvest & spin to the public.

I think that's just it.....
They don't want to be put in the same category as Katrina.

But it doesn't matter if it's down south or up north, black/white, people do & will loot.
And shame on the MSM for being selective as to when they deem it necessary to show looters.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ireminisce

How is this possible? We can get food to other countries after bombing them to bits, but can't get it to 20,000 Americans right there in Jersey?

Can't argue with you there.......hmmmm.

Priorities screwed up, maybe???

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 02:27 AM
link   

We can get supplies to Jersey too, just not to individual people/s.
Supplies can always be delivered, but it becomes much more difficult to get them directly in flooded regions and directly to those in need if the needy are spread out then, it's even more difficult. This is why people are encouraged to go to certain areas where delivery isn't so demanding, dangerous, and/or even unknown to those doing the delivering.

Remember too, that these people had ample warning. I'm a bit tired of hearing how great these NY'ers are, and yet they whine whenever their supplies aren't delivered fast enough. I'm referring to those who decided to stand their ground and expect to be served in a timely fashion, with no thoughts to the danger of those who are working to help. Some even volunteering their help & risking their own health.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by RobinB022

We can get supplies to Jersey too, just not to individual people/s.
Supplies can always be delivered, but it becomes much more difficult to get them directly in flooded regions and directly to those in need if the needy are spread out then, it's even more difficult. This is why people are encouraged to go to certain areas where delivery isn't so demanding, dangerous, and/or even unknown to those doing the delivering.

Remember too, that these people had ample warning. I'm a bit tired of hearing how great these NY'ers are, and yet they whine whenever their supplies aren't delivered fast enough. I'm referring to those who decided to stand their ground and expect to be served in a timely fashion, with no thoughts to the danger of those who are working to help. Some even volunteering their help & risking their own health.

2 insignificant complaints we heard today was one lady complained because her cell phone didn't work and another complained that she couldn't get the internet.

How do they think people existed before internet/cell phones?????

Back when all we had was land line phones.....
Was that all so long ago?

To hell with that crap, I worry about the ones with no food/water....[flash lights/batteries]
And yes, I've been there before waiting in long lines at the gas station. No fun, trust me.

TIP: Don't wait until the last minute to stock up on supplies.....bad idea.

Always start the minute they suspect a storm is headed your way.
If you need it, you've got it.
If you don't, oh well.....you're no worse off.
Use it any way, unless you want to save it.

ETA: What would happen to some of these people in a worse case SHTF scenario where there was no one to help them????

edit on 1-11-2012 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 03:37 AM
link   
I'm in north jersey and its the other way around. I just was out because my car had less then a half a gallon of gas. On my way searching for a gas station my car ran out of gas two blocks from the gas station. I had to get out and push my car into a parking spot but I obviously was struggling and just when I thought I was out of luck. A fellow motorist came to my aide and gave me a lift to the gas station so I can fill out my gas can. Only sad part is when I returned to the gas station they had ran out gas. It's crazy that there are 20 gas station in my area and all are bone dry. Lines were about 5 miles long. Most people are waiting 3 hours. But hey all I can do is wake up and search again hoping the little I did get last while searching.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 03:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Thank you, And How!

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 05:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Itsabigdeal456

Be careful out there. You are vulnerable when driving or walking "looking for gas". If I may, What are you going to use the gas for? Go to work? Look for more gas? This situation is going to get worse before it gets better. If you can, hunker down for a few and let the worst part blow over. Stay with your family and connect with your neighbors to set up "sharing" of resources and mutual protection. Establish warning alarms for everyone to come running. Bangin on a metal light pole with a hammer can be heard for a mile. Stay put. You are safest where you live.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 05:21 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

It hasn't even been 2 days since the storm and already people are already complaining nobody is bringing them food?
Unbelievable.
Several days of warning and they didn't bother to get a few cans of soup yet they expect the government to come feed them like they're Pizza Hut or something.
Worst part is these people vote!
God help us all....

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 05:30 AM
link   

France and... and Iran. Havent went into detail but i've seen NY Times
www.nytimes.com... s&_r=1&

Like explained above its a bit more complicated

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join