It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POST SANDY: "People are turning on each other -- they're attacking each other"

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   
And of Obama were to deploy the national guard, there would be threads popping up about how Martial law is imminent and he will declare himself dictator!

I know these games

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

Out of work
Bitter
Angry
A warped sense of entitlements
Any or all of these are a few reasons for this behavior.

Maybe the looters are taking a page from

A Clockwork Orange

Escape from New York

Soylent Green
Or
Revolution

:@

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Like Christies defacto support of Obama and how Obama walking around makes building rebuild themselves.

Seriously? Obama went rubbernecking at the damage? That's tacky.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   

I think a lot of this stuff is going to be junk anyway. Might as well be used. I noticed in the picture there was a lot of wine on the shelf yet. Go figure.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by okyouwin

The hard booze goes first...then they come back for the wine. If any is left...you can only carry so much at a time.

Des

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

I think that they don't want to be put in the same category as Katrina.....

If the locals would record any kind of looting or other kind of problems on FB/Twitter, or send to your local TV stations, then maybe the MSM might get wind and pick it up...........maybe.

But some people will use any vulnerable situation, such as this, to benefit their needs through looting.
I't's not just a New Orleans thing........it can happen any where.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by jessejamesxx
It's a good thing police don't have to go in and disarm law biding citizens like they did with Katrina.. Aren't most guns illegal there already?

No......you can get a permit to carry in Louisiana.
[ 5 yr permit, I think]

They did disarm the good people of N.O. during Katrina which left them defenseless against the thugs that had guns, which were used to rob the families that were left without their guns.
Bad mistake, IMO........

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   
UPDATE:

New Yorkers in fuel scramble as storm-hit pumps dry up

Drivers and homeowners scrambled to secure fuel for their cars and generators in the U.S. Northeast on Wednesday as storm-hit gasoline stations started to run dry.

More than half of all gasoline service stations in the New York City area and New Jersey were shut because of depleted fuel supplies and power outages, frustrating attempts to restore normal life, industry officials said.

Reports of long lines, dark stations and empty tanks circulated across the region. Some station owners were unable to pump fuel due to a lack of power, while others quickly ran their tanks dry because of increased demand and logistical problems in delivering fresh supplies.

The lack of working gasoline stations is likely to compound travel problems in the region, with the New York City subway system down until at least Thursday and overland rail and bus services severely disrupted.

The thumb screws are tightening....

The question I have is when will it become plainly obvious to the MSM? A few more days? Less?

I have a very bad feeling about this.
edit on 31-10-2012 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

I hate to say this, but I'm not sure that picture shown is about looters or the destruction from looters.

I'm down here on the Gulf Coast, used to hurricanes, and that picture looks more like the after math of a hurricane.

Look at the ceiling, the insulation coming out, and you can see the sun coming through the roof.
The mess on the floor is from the high winds.
This is the mess the hurricane Sandy left, not from looters, IMO....
[I've had my fair share of clean ups, sorry to say.....]

However, I would not doubt looting going on.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by snarky412

More on the looting situation:

Looters target Coney Island after Sandy sweeps through

A wave a looters followed the Sandy storm surge in Coney Island, creating a double-whammy for business owners trying to pick up the obliterated pieces.

The thieves started down Mermaid Avenue Tuesday morning as the chest-high water receded, turning the seaside community known for its hotdogs and tourist attractions into a lawless free-for-all.

"People were running in and out of Rent-A-Center carrying these big flat screens. They were holding on tight," said witness Aisha John, 20. "I couldn't understand how someone could steal a big TV in broad daylight, but no one cared.”

She said people were running out of a nearby Rite Aid with bags of diapers and wipes.

The article continues:

"It was complete lawlessness,” said Ron Troyano, owner of Joann’s Discount Wine and Liquors on Mermaid Ave.

He said looters used tools to bust through his steel security gates around 11:30 a.m. Tuesday.

The thieves then shattered his storefront and helped themselves to thousands of dollars worth of top shelf liquor, he said.

See also: New York Region Faces Rescues, Looting and a Rising Death Toll

With power out for at least another week...this *IS* going to get much worse.
edit on 31-10-2012 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   
not surprising that this is being kept hush hush..

americans are oppurtunistic..they have been the entire time of the history of this country...war of 1812, mexican american war, spanish americian war..heck even ww1...america has become a country bloated on its own greed and me me me attitude...yes there will be plenty that will help thier neighbors but there will be more that have nothing better to do than steal..but that said...what are people suppose to do when they never have even tried to prepare for something? ..when thier lives are nothing but a day to day life of being dependent on govt handouts? a day to day life dependant on inhibreation and escape from reality? a struggle to provide for thier own families because they have nothing to begin with?...this is the hidden side of america..we are not the rich, have everything country that we are made out to be.....we are a counrty in decline....governed by big business and a govt that only cares about itself and those that give it money...media sound bites................

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Oh, I'm not denying the looters, it's nothing new down here when we get hit with hurricanes along the Gulf Coast.
For some reason, catastrophes some times bring out the worst in people, taking advantage of a vulnerable situation.

I merely was talking about the picture in your thread looks like that of a hurricane stricken building and the owners trying to clean up, that's all.
Not looters themselves.....IMO

PEACE
snarky

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
www.dailymail.co.uk...

it seems the looters are bragging about it on twitter like its a #ing game.

'Even momma got outta house to loot new shirt'

seems they use #sandylootcrew
Makes me want to violently throw up then start shooting people. I guess it goes without saying, but in the event of TSHTF, people are going to be assholes.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by MeesterB

That is awful. These looters at least are not doing it out of necessity. It's really sad when people are proud of stealing and hurting others. I don't know what it is about twitter, but I swear some people would tweet about their murder victims and not think twice.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by AkumaStreak

I think it's responsible of the media to limit coverage of this kind of things. Limits copycats. I wish they would have done it when all of those school shootings were happening years ago instead of giving the perpetrators so much airtime/attention.

Absolutely!! I do agree and it is unfortunate.

You may be interested to learn that those of us outside of the USA are actually seeing next to NOTHING about looting going on in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy! Honestly, from watching the TV news across any free channel at least where I am currently in the Southern hemisphere, and they have been deluging us with coverage of the storm and the cleanup (sorry for the pun but it fits).

Strange, is it not? I remember when Katrina hit New Orleans, the media was full of stories about the heinous looters and the measures taken by police, and the national guard against them.

The very last thing governments want is for people to go opportunistic on them and loot when the next power blackout hits, or local town centers flood.

I read further up the thread someone comparing the comparatively minor looting that took place in Florida following the two more recent hurricanes there over five years ago. That was before 2008, when Lehman Brothers filed for bankruptcy and the whole pack of cards we call the world financial system caved in. What a short memory some people have. Come on now. Join the dots.

No one needs wonder why. People are hurting out there. There are a lot of angry and desperate folk out there. In America more than 40% of the population are now officially recognized as poor.

And around the world haven't we been seeing in the past couple of years every single large government in the bigger economies of the world imposing austerity on the people? There are now masses of people unemployed and lets not forget the underemployed who exist on foodstamps also, or whatever is the local equivalent. The cost of basic necessities like rent, electricity, fuel, food etc have all gone through the roof in most places. Governments know there are angry people out there. Protests have become increasingly violent across the globe.

BTW Look forward to the looting providing yet another excuse for the politicians to chop up what remains of constitutional rights, and another reason to bring for the state to bring in measures five years ago you would associate with a police state somewhere else in the world.

edit on 31-10-2012 by Tallone because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Time to unleash a "Sandy" virus?

Fear will get them back inside their homes.

edit on 31-10-2012 by Pedro4077 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

They need another Mayor Rizzo who said when the lootin starts the shootin starts.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
reply to post by loam

I was thinking about this yesterday when they reported how much perishable food would be thrown away, I wondered about it during New Orleans too, these shop owners should pass out the perishable items, they are going to throw it away anyway, but I guess they never think it will get this bad,

I also worry about my diabetic daughter if I had to steal for insulin I would, it is a terrible thing to worry about, but in the case of a natural disaster, yea I would do it.

We were working down in Morgan City, LA when hurricane Isaac came through and some of the stores there gave away the perishables to the public.

I guess, along the coastal area where they are prone to hurricanes all the time, some of the stores already know what to get rid of in a situation like that.

It helps them out and it helps the public as well.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Crazy.I'm glad I live on the west coast.Then again with cities like LA and Compton and Long Beach that could happen.I feel really bad.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   
MORE:

Tempers flare in NJ city where thousands stranded

HOBOKEN, N.J. (AP) — Officials in the city of Hoboken, N.J., are defending their response to severe flooding from superstorm Sandy.

Public Safety director Jon Tooke says at least 25 percent of the city on the Hudson River across from Manhattan remains under water. He estimates at least 20,000 people are stranded and says most are being encouraged to shelter in place until floodwaters recede.

Tempers flared Wednesday morning outside City Hall as some residents complained the city was slow to get food and other supplies out to the stranded.

This is playing out just like New Orleans...

20,000 people stranded!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join