It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POST SANDY: "People are turning on each other -- they're attacking each other"

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals

Too bad the gun laws in NY are so strict few are able to defend themselves or their property, which incidentally is the main reason I moved away from there years ago.

Did you go through the slideshow and see all the signs posted like "Go ahead and loot, I love to shoot!"

When I saw those all I could think of NYC's crazy gun laws and wondering if anyone will call the bluff.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Thanks OP, this really needs to be looked at seriously by everyone living in US metropolitan areas. In the posts I have made pertaining to Sandy I have been saying, yes I feel sorry for alot of the people who were not able to evacuate but the ramifications of what is about to occur will impact everyone in the US whether through food/gas prices skyrocketing and/or other cities engaging in the same behaviour. When a gallon of milk shoots up to $10 and gas prices double the country is going to be outraged, they already are, they already have been.. there just hasn't been a catalyst........ yet, until now.

I have long held the belief that if you turn the power off on a large section of any major US city, within 3 days you will undoubtedly be looking at minimally a SHTF scenario (mass exodus/looting/fighting) but what we have here could turn into full out anarchy soon enough. Of course the media is blacking this aspect of the disaster out, not because of the rigged elections, because Wall St. has been closed for 2 days and the MSM do not want the reality of the situation getting out to the world, the reality being that the Earth's financial capitol has never in its history been more unstable.

I know the OWS movement are mostly well-intentioned people who were trying to make a point and they did make a point, peaceful protest no longer accomplishes anything in this country. The MSM made every participant in the movement out to be hippy-dippy stoner bums with no real perception on how big government works. Once these people who are looking at no power for a week, the Bronx/Queens/tons of NJ, once those people join forces they will have OWS in the back of they're minds and may not just occupy/loot/pillage Wall St, they might occupy Times Square EXPECTING heavy resistance. Keep watching the live streams, when the live feed goes down you know something is up.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

I feel the same way you do.
Here in Michigan, they were talking about this storm for a week a head of time.
Were they not doing that in NJ or NY?
Why did people not have time to stock up on basic supplies?
JMO, but I'm guessing many of these looters are just using storm as an excuse to take what they want. Which is inexcusable.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Someone said why dont the store owners give the stuff away. Erm.. they DO. Its covered by insurance and youre not supposed to give the perishables away, but they do. Seen it all my life having grown up in the deep South. Thats a DUH moment. Problem is, folks dont want the food until a few days later.. they initially want the electronics, sneakers, BS like that that will do them NO good. Its like this type of person is a tick up from a savage.. they are incapable of thinking of "what comes next" , arent capable of forethought, and satisfy temporary immediate urges. Welcome to the real world.

Interesting observation.. it was day 3 here after the ice storm and in katrima it was day 3 that it really kicked off. HUrricane Andrew I dont recall the number of days, but it was shortly after the storm subsided. Same with hurricane Mitch. Rememeber Joplin? Happened then too. When I was younger, there were smaller hurricanes and storms.. fools were fools. Fools will ALWAYS be fools. Big city or small town.. youll always find that certain section of people .

One thing that is different these days is the mob mentality, wider variety of illegal weaponry, and the actual occupied home invasions. You didnt see that when I was younger. Currently, our flash mob problem has been ridiculous and it started a few yrs ago and in good weather
I dont live in a bad town.. regardless of some ignorant ATSers assumptions when I told this story after it happened. I live in a historic area, in a historic home, and my neighborhood is gated. The morons come to us.. criminals drive now.. have ya heard? They came upon the local bowling alley in a number of a little under 300 and the police stood by and watched. It was a huge scandal here.. the paper refused to cover the story. We all watched it and filmed it. THIS was in June or July and a nice night. Can you imagine if there was a disaster given this mentality, police were already stretched thin.. and the opportunists and savages come out. The police can do little to nothing about these animals in that instance.. it is more safe to let them loot a store and take care of the safety of living humans than the goods in a store.

As far as NJ, I posted it the night of the storm.. CBS was already reporting robberies well before the eye hit. I have NO idea why they dont do what happened in Texas.. shoot to kill and an obligation to protect your neighbor and their property.. in a disaster. Im in Illinois now.. we have draconian gun ans self defense laws.. yet our street was geared for battle. WHen you later see people with ak47s ( THAT was in the paper.. St Louis carried that part of the story.. yet not our local news) and nonsense were doing home invasions due to the lights being out for a few days.. its your only choice. Personally I believe Id prefer to be judged by 12 rather than carried by 6.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
It's a good thing police don't have to go in and disarm law biding citizens like they did with Katrina.. Aren't most guns illegal there already?

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by chiefsmom
reply to post by Asktheanimals

I feel the same way you do.
Here in Michigan, they were talking about this storm for a week a head of time.
Were they not doing that in NJ or NY?
Why did people not have time to stock up on basic supplies?
JMO, but I'm guessing many of these looters are just using storm as an excuse to take what they want. Which is inexcusable.

I agree. We here in SJ did stock up, even bought a generator. 2 other neighbors did the same. I see NO reason to steal a TELEVISION in desperation. I think they are a bunch of thugs. They had a week to get ready, just like us. no excuse to start acting like animals.....

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I know that when people get desperate they will resort to behaviour that is out of their normal range of behaviours. Let's say I have very little to start with and Sandy destroys what little I have - I may just resort to taking some bottled water or a pair of shoes or a coat or something that suggests necessity.

When the 'looting' stories come out - will they portray exactly what is happening or will it just be the usual media spin? I have no family and have looked after myself since I was eighteen - I know that people look after their own and kindness only comes from specific people - not everyone.

Every human has a survival instinct and when shops are insured for their stock - I do not see the harm in a person taking something if it is something they need. If however people are going to steal a computer - that's smacks of opportunity. They have no home anymore - no insurance - no family and nowhere to plug in a computer - that is not survival. When a person is taking an item to survive - how can it be called looting??

If I had just lost everything in Sandy and needed some bottled water or a pair of shoes - I would probably take what I needed. If I was going to be shot on the spot - like they were in 1906 in San Francisco - then I would prefer to be shot than live in a world where I could not take what I needed to survive - particularly when it was a simple item.

The cabal/illuminati/whatever have taken whatever they wanted since (it would appear) history began - how come they have not been taken to task for looting our shared planet?? In times of devastation and catastrophe it seems to me that people will either show their true colours or they will devolve - people will either show extreme kindness or will seize the opportunity to be as devious as they can.

I sincerely hope that people survive and thrive after Sandy. I feel the most for all the homeless people who had nothing to start with and animals that are uncared for or were strays who struggled on a daily basis.

Much Peace...to everyone who is rebuilding their lives and to those who died as a result of Sandy I hope you are in a place of stillness and calm and will guide us in Spirit...

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
This made me think back to the LA riots after Rodney King and the Korean store owners protecting their property.

www.npr.org...

The media at the time was telling all the business owners to go home and pray. These guys stayed and defended their businesses as they knew no help was on the way. I guess you can argue an isle of merchandise is not worth your life. Maybe you can argue they were standing up for justice. Who knows.

With the looting in NY, I cannot believe no one saw that coming. Sort of a dog-bites-man thing. Deviants in the big city. My goodness.

Food for thought: What if all the business owners came back and protected what was left of their establishments? How many looters would be motivated then knowing there were no easy pickings? Sort of takes the fun and profit out of it.

Yet, we are told to let them take the crap, it's not worth getting hurt or facing criminal charges. Safety first. Obey the law. I can see their point but in the end, what are we as a society rewarding here? What type of behavior are we developing?

Let the insurance pay for it they say. News flash: business owners are paying for that insurance. They are also paying for the police protection which may not be there. They are paying for a criminal justice system which will most likely never see these s***heads at least this time around. Nothing is free. A business owner pays to have his stuff stolen an told to stand aside.

Maybe this is the calculus those Korean owners came to when they got up on the roofs with guns?

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

Great post!

This flash mob things has me perplexed. Here in DC, they descend upon a 7-11 for instance, be stupid, the cops do nothing, it makes the news maybe, and we go about our day.

From what I am told, technically, the laws they are breaking are not that egregious so safety comes first. I really wonder how long this will last before they burn something down or beat someone to death. Then what?

I can't wait until they flash mob an airport boarding area or the next Presidential visit someplace. We will probably see a different response.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
suggestion: put in on all the MSM news sites, in their search engine dialog window:

looting sandy new york

...or something to that effect...to let them know that people are aware and interested in the topic.

"Deny Ignorance"

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

It's scary to see quite how quickly a population can descend into anarchy.
I wonder if this would happen in 'small town' USA?

Do you think it has a lot to do with the anonymity that can come with living in a big city, and the lack of a sense of 'community'.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   
"Looters organize via twitter"?

Well... at least we have well informed, sophisticated and evolved looters.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   
They really shouldn't have posted a fancy wine shop as an example of possible looting...and he didn't look exactly cleaned out, either.

I saw pictures today of people lined up in NYC for several hours to buy gas to run generators, ostensibly to keep their fridges cold; how much food do you have stored in your fridge to make the cost of the gas (and your time) make sense? Just do what we used to during blizzards and power outages; eat the ice cream first, then start cooking however you can the frozen meats, etc. Soup and crackers or some such for simple lunches. The fridge will stay cold for days if you don't open it much, and if you've got cold weather, well, there's your fridge, outside...

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

I had a feeling this would happen. Perhaps this will be a perfect reason to declare martial law right before the election as others have mentioned. They always take advantage of any crisis and try to twist it into their favor.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   
While it's likely political for them to not report it, it could help in the long run against copycat looters encouraged by what they see on the tv they were considering stealing.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by creatives
reply to post by hawkiye

It's scary to see quite how quickly a population can descend into anarchy.
I wonder if this would happen in 'small town' USA?

Do you think it has a lot to do with the anonymity that can come with living in a big city, and the lack of a sense of 'community'.
Anarchy is hardly a "descent." It only is when everyone is stupid and without compassion. Same goes for Authoritarianism or any other state of society when it's leaders and/or people are dumbarses without any heart. Idiot rulers and idiot subjects spells out an idiotic world - take out the ruler and it's still an idiot world, but at least in a free way.

And yes, it's not likely to be this way (or at least very bad) in smaller populated areas, or even other parts of the world... I mean, this story is in Brooklyn. I'd be way more surprised (in a very pleasant way) if looting didn't happen.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I would disagree. After the Japanese tidal wave there were little to no reports of looting.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   
I think it's responsible of the media to limit coverage of this kind of things. Limits copycats. I wish they would have done it when all of those school shootings were happening years ago instead of giving the perpetrators so much airtime/attention.

I realize it's a double-edged sword. People there do need to be aware of safety issues. I guess I'm just glad they aren't spending tons of time talking about it.
edit on 10/31/2012 by AkumaStreak because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by supadupadan
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I would disagree. After the Japanese tidal wave there were little to no reports of looting.

The Japanese are a completely different culture, my friend. They have a long ingrained social code of honor, and shame. Big difference.

Des

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by AkumaStreak

Are you kidding me? limits copycats?

Boy you guys can come up with anything to back not admitting the obvious.

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join