It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POST SANDY: "People are turning on each other -- they're attacking each other"

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Tallone

It was easy to dig your feet out from under you when you were already standing on the shifting sands of thinking a government should build a barrier around a two-state beachline. Seriously...you were in pretty shallow soil.

edit on 11-3-2012 by Valhall because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Valhall

Come on, smarten up now.

What, you want to limit us to talking just about sandy beaches, Staten Island? Houses on beach fronts are just the easy targeted part of the whole catastrophe MSN has chosen to focus on at this point. This is because they want to hide what is increasingly obvious with each passing day indicative of a political and social system that cannot begin to look after the population in the aftermath, a system that if biological would have to belong to a zombie. Look over here, not over there. Nothing happening over there, move on quietly now… you know MSN works like a three ring circus, with only one ring?

What about the blacked out communities in Manhattan, Brooklyn, and Queens are those with public housing projects? Keep in mind, Mayor Bloomberg has already warned anyone wanting to remain in those areas or move back if they can that electricity will take days, possibly more than a week to restore.

The impact of Hurricane Sandy was made far worse than it would have been because so much of the damage to NYC was from flooding - the subways system is going to affect many workers who don't get to drive a car or go by bus or can't afford to go by cab to work. That NY Metro Transport Authority report warned exactly of flooding to subway tunnels. One of its key recommendations was that “strategic storm barriers for the NYC harbor and estuary” be put in place. The cost was nothing, nothing compared to the billions and billions of dollars the banks on Wall Street received from both Bush and Obama alike.

Take a read of this MSN article - to get the flavor of what is already known well ahead of Hurricane Sandy

What was known before hand - warnings ignored - This from the NYT

You got to remember both Bloomberg and NYC governor Cuomo have publically opposed raising taxes on hedge funds and banks, i.e. on Wall Street. They choose instead to cut social programs, jobs, and wages of public sector workers (people who work the subways, the buses, and bring water to your home and so on). Privatising public good services like electricity has meant companies like ConEd profit from not doing the proper repairs necessary for maintainance. They could be upgrading their services for goodness sake. The technology is there, they just don’t use it.

When you talk about ‘goobers’ remaining in their homes, you got to remember many of those of them who are employed still have had wages and work conditions slashed over the last few months and years. It means they have less ability to just up and leave what little they do have even in the face of a Sandy, or Katrina for that matter.

And still on the subject of electricity, back in 2009 the American Society of Civil Engineers gave the entire US energy system a D+ grade! They stated they see a general decline in investment in the transmission facilities over the past THIRTY years. And you thought, privatizing public services would make them more efficiently run, right?

So no, it isn’t a case of blaming a bunch of folk for their own general condition when most of that condition has been lumped on them anyway over time - by – the – elected – authorities. And through both Republican and Democratic Party rule for several decades. The system is FUBARd my friend.
edit on 4-11-2012 by Tallone because: Added the links

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Tallone

Hey...I didn't. You didn't even read my initial post. So stop yourself from having diarrhea of the mouth. Shove a plug in it.

I said, there are three sets of victims:

1. Those who COULDN'T leave for whatever reasons.
2. Those who COULD leave and DID (and they still lost the same amount as anyone still there and alive).
3. Those who COULD leave and DIDN'T.

And I closed out with EVERY single one of those groups need our help and our compassion. That the 3rd group chose to make things harder on themselves is something they are suffering through, but it doesn't negate their needs or deserving of compassion.

So just kill the BS talk towards me, will you?

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Valhall

Nothing to see here, a side show folks, move along in an orderly fashion to the post below. Go to my links above to see the evidence - the gist of the post below.
edit on 4-11-2012 by Tallone because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Valhall

They all need our compassion I agree. I was never intending a personal take down of you. I don't know you. I addressed you as 'friend', without sarcasm. No I didn't read your first post, I picked up on that single one I did because I disagreed with it (IT, the post and its message, not you personally). Back to the thread and the issues here.

I post to be read by everyone, yes my views on issues are strongly held and well thought out and backed by experience. Don't take it personally. This story is not about you, and should never be about you.

Look at what I posted and read the links. People need to understand what is going on here. I am always glad of replies, but think about it and consider the ideas outside of what you know and trust. I have done this. It changes you.

For the record. They knew a Hurricane Sandy was coming. See my links - read them. They know there will be more. They know they will get worse. They - the authorities supposedly elected by us in federal and state governments to do a job that serves all of the people - have allowed this event to have the impact it has. The system is FUBARd as I said. For gods sake man/woman, if you don't agree, fine.

Don't take my word for this. Read the links and do your research and realize a storm like Sandy should not take more than 100 American lives in NYC when it took 70 in the poor and far less protected Carribbean. In all likelihood Sandy will take double the number of people in the US than it did in the Carribbean where it was much much more ferocious.

edit on 4-11-2012 by Tallone because: regular stuff like grammar, grammar and spelling

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Appending to the figure of confirmed deaths I posted above.

Now the total confirmed people found dead in NYC post Hurricane Sandy stands at 115.

Zerohedge latest

Unfortunately that figure will surely climb higher once the flood waters recede from the subways and the cellars of buildings in flooded areas.
edit on 4-11-2012 by Tallone because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   

That didn't go so well for him...

edit on 4-11-2012 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   
MORE:

Fractured Recovery Divides the Region

...in shorefront stretches of Staten Island and Queens that were all but demolished, and in broad sections of New Jersey and Long Island, gasoline was almost impossible to come by, electricity was still lacking and worried homeowners wondered when help would finally arrive.

in many places that the storm pounded in its relentless push into the Northeast, there was a profound sense of isolation, with whole towns cut off from basic information, supplies and electricity. People in washed-out neighborhoods said they felt increasingly desperate. “I just keep waiting for someone with a megaphone and a car to just tell us what to do,” said Vikki Quinn, standing amid a pile of ruined belongings strewed in front of her flooded house in Long Beach on Long Island. “I’m lost.”

Hundreds of thousands of homes on Long Island were still without power Saturday, with temperatures expected to get down into the 30s overnight, and frustration with the utilities, particularly Long Island Power Authority, continued to rise.

But here's the part that really had me pause:

The authorities estimated that as many as 100,000 homes and businesses on Long Island had been destroyed or badly damaged in the storm...

That's just Long Island!

It occurs to me that I haven't seen the numbers for any of the other well known hard-hit areas.

OMG! This is MASSIVE.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Did you hear him? He was directing people without electricity to go to a WEBSITE to find out where to get food and water.

OMG!

20 billion will really leave you clueless won't it?

edit on 11-4-2012 by Valhall because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
reply to post by loam

Did you hear him? He was directing people without electricity to go to a WEBSITE to find out where to get food and water.

OMG!

20 billion will really leave you clueless won't it?

edit on 11-4-2012 by Valhall because: (no reason given)

That makes total sense...just get on your dead computer, in your flooded home, sans electricity. Log onto a FEMA website, fill out the form to have food and water delivered to your home, that doesn't exist anymore...on a street washed out by floods.

Yeah...that's the ticket....

What idiots....

Des

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   

New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg said Sunday that 30,000 to 40,000 people — mostly residents of public housing — will have to find new homes, the New York Times reported. He compared the housing situation to the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans. “I don’t know that anybody has ever taken this number of people and found housing for them overnight,” Bloomberg said, according to the Times.

SOURCE

Translation - 'Good luck with finding somewhere to live in NYC. Maybe just like with most of those poor folk in New Orleans, you lot will do best to move out of our jurisdiction'.
edit on 4-11-2012 by Tallone because: grammar and spelling, the regular

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Tallone

If Bloomberg follows the precedent set by Katrina. they'll be bussed to other states...and left there...

Des

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Ye-up. Katrina was precedent after all...

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   
I just commented in another thread that it's a guarantee the poor and middle class neighborhoods wont be rebuilt for them.

Those locations are prime NY real estate.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam
I just commented in another thread that it's a guarantee the poor and middle class neighborhoods wont be rebuilt for them.

I'm sure the scrabbling for bidding, is already starting in back rooms...doesn't it make you sick....

Des

edit on 4-11-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Marathon canceled, but generators and supplies still sit unused in park

The city left more than a dozen generators desperately needed by cold and hungry New Yorkers who lost their homes to Hurricane Sandy still stranded in Central Park yesterday.

And that’s not all — stashed near the finish line of the canceled marathon were 20 heaters, tens of thousands of Mylar “space” blankets, jackets, 106 crates of apples and peanuts, at least 14 pallets of bottled water and 22 five-gallon jugs of water.

This while people who lost their homes in the Rockaways, Coney Island and Staten Island were freezing and going hungry.

Amazing. Even the simple stuff isn't getting done.

edit on 5-11-2012 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone
reply to post by Tallone

If Bloomberg follows the precedent set by Katrina. they'll be bussed to other states...and left there...

Des

I was just thinking about that, how people were sent to other states we had quite a few came to our town.

Notice how you don't hear much, I remember how anti FEMA this forum used to be, where did those people go?

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Originally posted by loam

Never thought of that,

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Magnitude-2.0 quake shakes New Jersey
www.cnn.com...

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
Magnitude-2.0 quake shakes New Jersey
www.cnn.com...

Thanks for the news. Good to stay on top of things as they develop. IMO, nothing to get shaken-up about.

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18 >>

join