It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POST SANDY: "People are turning on each other -- they're attacking each other"

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

I can not believe how so many people did NOT PREPARE for this.. or something... What will happen to them when TSHTF .. This is just a warning.. a test run so to speak.. I want to know where all the homeless people who lived in the Subways went? OR DID THEY.. are they still down under in there makeshift cities in the tunnels.. not leaving when the storm started and everything was flooded??????

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   
"You see, their morals, their code, it's a bad joke. Dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these... these civilized people, they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve. "-Joker I guess he was right after all.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by hollwd

I want to know where all the homeless people who lived in the Subways went?

I can't say for sure, but it is probable that they are all dead.

It is a real eye opener I think, this event, really does show just how unprepared people are.

But that is everyone in the whole world are unprepared, everywhere. There are exceptions of course. But 99% of people are unprepared.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   
not surprised... with the culture of violence ... me first attitudes... lack of honour and materialism of most westerners its a given that in a disaster they will resort to violence and looting to get what they want ... instead of working together as a community and helping each other in times of need they fight each other over useless rubbish like jewelry .. televisions .. etc... yet another sign of just how divided they are as a country and as people ...

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   
So why isn't the mainstream media reporting this? Are they trying to keep it quiet so others won't see it and get the courage to go do it themselves?

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xaphan
So why isn't the mainstream media reporting this? Are they trying to keep it quiet so others won't see it and get the courage to go do it themselves?

There is an election soon.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam

Originally posted by sad_eyed_lady
Starving homeless in New York are dumpster diving. Sad news. People need food and water.
www.nbcnewyork.com...#!/on-air/as-seen-on/Sandy-Starved-New-Yorkers-Dumpster-Dive/176839571

Let me help with your link:

Sandy-Starved New Yorkers Dumpster Dive (VIDEO)

I'm still baffled why people still seem so slow to realize how bad this is getting....or will get.

Watching CNN last night, I was astonished how positive ALL of the reporting was. Nothing like the Geraldo Rivera or Shepard Smith reporting we saw in Katrina....and in many ways this situation is far worse.

Politics

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by texasgirl

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
Well the honest truth is, some of us live paycheck to paycheck, recently my husband lost a weeks work, one week set us back so far we had to choose between food and paying the bills, I hang on to this internet because my son needs it for school, if it wasn't for that I would be off line.

One weeks pay less and we are still behind weeks later, high food and fuel, it is really hurting us.

I am self employed but what little I make helped keep us fed.
edit on 113030p://bThursday2012 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

Yeah, I am self employed and live alone so I am the sole breadwinner. And I'm flat broke. What I have been doing lately is, each time I grocery shop, I buy 1 extra item (cheap) and put it away. It could be a box of crackers, a can of chicken soup that won't tast awful if I eat it right out of the can, or a can of tuna, etc... Adding an extra dollar to my grocery bill won't kill me and now my pantry is stocked with food I can easily eat if the power goes out for a while.

My friends, seeing what I have done, are starting to do this, also.

Yes, I had some stored but we have gone through it since my hubby was outta work those few days, so I am going to make sure that doesn't happen again, that's a good idea.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xaphan

There is an election soon.

I might come across as ignorant for asking this, but how do the two correlate exactly? Do you mean that they would rather save all the airtime for election coverage?

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 05:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

I think it will. People have to unite and huddle together because its cold. The power is off so staying in your home in 40 degree weather is an exercise in futility. Building a fire in there is dangerous. I think people are huddled together right now outside around bonfires, telling their tale, maybe singing...

I know thats what I would be doing. Someone is boiling water, cooking soup. Someone has packets of hot chocolate, mmm. Oh and that lady down the street just arrived with all these wool blankets she had stored for who knows what reason?

Theres your medieval internet.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by texasgirl

Well the honest truth is, some of us live paycheck to paycheck, recently my husband lost a weeks work, one week set us back so far we had to choose between food and paying the bills, I hang on to this internet because my son needs it for school, if it wasn't for that I would be off line.

One weeks pay less and we are still behind weeks later, high food and fuel, it is really hurting us.

I am self employed but what little I make helped keep us fed.
edit on 113030p://bThursday2012 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

Yeah, I am self employed and live alone so I am the sole breadwinner. And I'm flat broke. What I have been doing lately is, each time I grocery shop, I buy 1 extra item (cheap) and put it away. It could be a box of crackers, a can of chicken soup that won't tast awful if I eat it right out of the can, or a can of tuna, etc... Adding an extra dollar to my grocery bill won't kill me and now my pantry is stocked with food I can easily eat if the power goes out for a while.

My friends, seeing what I have done, are starting to do this, also.

Yes, I had some stored but we have gone through it since my hubby was outta work those few days, so I am going to make sure that doesn't happen again, that's a good idea.

It's amazing what a week's worth of non-pay can do to you. If my clients don't need me (holidays coming up!) I don't get paid and that puts a heck of a dent in my budget. I hear ya...

This food storage can help when I am not working for a week. I will have to keep an eye out for sales/coupons and the like to make sure my pantry stays stocked!!

I do have to say that some hurricane victims probably did prepare and store food but that they didn't expect the hurricane to come so far inland and flood their houses. Only zone A had mandatory evacuations.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Exactly what was it we were expecting? All of them to gather around and sing " Row the boat a shore". 8million folks in real close quarters. What do you expect? They all learned their lesson in Katrina, keep the bad stuff off t.v..... Only show the good side of folks. Makes for better t.v. MSM is worthless.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   

‘We Need Food, We Need Clothing’: Staten Island Residents Plead for Help 3 Days After Sandy

The residents of Staten Island are pleading for help from elected officials, begging for gasoline, food and clothing three days after Sandy slammed the New York City borough.

“We’re going to die! We’re going to freeze! We got 90-year-old people!” Donna Solli told visiting officials. “You don’t understand. You gotta get your trucks down here on the corner now. It’s been three days!”

Whether these people prepared or not, it's still very hard to witness their plight...and yes, it is still going to get much worse.

Eventually, the MSM will have little choice but to report this unfolding crisis. And now, a large winter storm is likely to arrive in the next few days.

Stay tuned...the real horror is only just beginning.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

I'm sorry. It's been 3 days. I just can't feel any sympathy for them. They had a week's notice of this storm, and they knew winter was coming ever since last winter came. The power can go out anytime, and last for a week or more, it happens regularly enough.

If people are starving and freezing after only 3 days, when they had ample warning, I just can't feel too bad for them.

If it had been a month, I would be more concerned, but its been 3 days. Things will likely start to recover within another 3 days, and anyone that can't make it 6 or 7 days needs to go by the way of natural selection. Its sad, I don't have family there, I'm probably being callous, but I had plenty of friends and family in Joplin, MO when the tornadoes struck, and I don't remember this level of whining, there was little to no looting, and any help that did show up was greatly appreciated!

ETA:
My mom didn't lose anything in the storm, but she still stood on the street corner and cried and waved as the convoys of help and supplies showed up in the weeks after the storm. I had very close friends that lost everything in the storm, and they just kept moving forward, people helped people, nobody was crying to the government, and in fact, they were appalled by what Obama did to make a political event out of it. Obama's visit interrupted their tasks of rebuilding. People there were appalled at the Federal Contracts to rebuild homes, because it meant the contracts would go to out of state vendors instead of local vendors. The people in Joplin would much rather have handled things on their own terms. FEMA slowed down the recovery and rescue operations, people weren't even allowed to dig for their own missing family members.

The FEMA trailers immediately became a haven for drug crimes and violence, and after a couple of scathing press articles, the local police forces were restricted from responding to calls on the "Federal" land of the FEMA camps. This made the situation even worse, but it limited the information getting to the press.

The more I think about it, the less sympathy I have for these helpless people, and the more respect I have for my ol' Midwestern town!
edit on 2-11-2012 by darkhorserider because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by darkhorserider

You will get no argument from me about the role of government in situations like this one. But I won't share in your sentiment that these people should be vilified for their lack of preparation or poor understanding of the risk.

I don't think you understand the situation up there. Many lost everything, even the ones who were never told they were at this level of risk. As of yesterday, there were still more than 20,000 people trapped in their homes OUTSIDE of the announced evacuation zones.

Even the ones who did prepare, lost nearly everything as the unimaginable happened and flooded the first level of their homes.

Moreover, I have often thought evacuation zones are a bad idea. They produce a false sense of security. What we should promote are RISK ZONES that account for not only the severity of an impending event, but the likely aftermath as well. The idea would be you have X percentage of extreme danger to life. The rest is up to you. I think this would produce a slight improvement in the way people would react to such impending events. In fact, there should be two types of RISK rankings: one for acute events and one for less predictable events, requiring disclosure in every purchase and rental agreement of realty.

Remember, many in Moonachie, Carlstadt and Little Ferry had no idea a levee even existed near their towns that might place them in peril. Who's fault is that?

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

I'm villifying them, because its only 3 days. A week from now, I'll have a little more concern. I can sit on the roof of my house, without water or food for 3 days, and I'll be grateful when someone shows up to get me, not complaining that they haven't arrived yet.

NOBODY should be without a basic 7 day supply. And, if the water starts to rise, you grab basics like coats, and underwear, and jugs of water (even if you have to make them up all of a sudden from milk jugs or tupperware), and you get to higher ground and wait.

If I had absolutely no preparations at all, and if the forecast said I was in a safe zone, but I was aware a tropical storm was coming, and it would be followed by a winter storm, and then I noticed rising water. I would be smart enough to grab several hoodies, coats, make up some water jugs, throw the pop tarts and eggs, and pork and beans in a duffel bag, grab a flashlight or candle, or newspapers, whatever shoes I could find, a box of trashbags to use as ponchos and my family could sit on top of a van, or sit on top of the roof, or find a dry spot to hunker down for 3 days without starving or freezing.

I just don't understand the helplessness, and the expectations of someone else fixing everything.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by darkhorserider

Easy to say from the comfort of your chair.

If you are old, ill, disabled, have young children....or live paycheck to paycheck...or are unemployed...or suddenly find yourself with additional people sheltering in your home, three days is plenty without food or water for desperation to set in.

I'm one of those people who found not only the grasshopper distasteful in the famous preparation fable, but also the ants who later finger-wagged at his demise.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

LOL!

It is easy to do from the comfort of my chair, but I've been there. I've weathered out hurricanes in Florida, blizzards in the midwest, and tornadoes.

#1, if things are bad, you don't eat up all your supplies on day 1. You ration a little bit.
#2, a 7 day supply for a family of 4 is just a gallon of milk, a dozen eggs, a box of minute rice, a can or two of spam, or vienna sausages, or pork and beans, and when the storm is baring down, you fill up your sinks and tubs with fresh water. Anyone living in the NorthEast should have ample coats, hoodies, sweatpants, longjohns, boots, etc.

I'm not saying it is easy or comfortable, but it isn't a life or death situation. Not after 3 days. 2 weeks from now, it will be a different story, but on day 3, this is just whining.

People lie unconscious buried in rubble for 3 days, or survive off their own urine for 3 days. It isn't time for whining yet.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

i live in NJ and we have all heard about the looting going on in NY and the Jersey shore. some people are looting to have basic supplies other scumbags are looting for profit

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I haven't heard much mention of the most vulnerable - the sick, disabled and the aged - those with medical needs that can't wait. If someone can't get to them and soon, they're dead. It's that simple, and sad.
I think we're looking at finding many such people dead in their homes along with many homeless who were living in tunnels and under bridges. Will the press report the real numbers? No, they didn't in Andrew or Katrina. They won't this time either and their needs will go unrecognized while the next storm builds.

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join