It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POST SANDY: "People are turning on each other -- they're attacking each other"

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by milominderbinder

That's because it's white people this time.

That is pretty ignorant too, but I was referring to the racist statement. I mean really, you cant afford 7 days of food? It's not that much.... Even 7 of those cheep ass raman noodle packages will be enough to hold you over foodwise, we are not talking about 3 7 course meals a day here, talking survival rations. People had plenty of time to fill any empty soda bottles etc they had to take care of water for free.

edit on Thu, 01 Nov 2012 15:36:01 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I posted this song in anther thread before the Hurricane hit...it (the thread) was by a person that says they are a seer on here, who posted warnings...this song came to my mind.

It's still appropriate, and this song is really old but quite prophetic:

"And let the music keep our spirits high, let the buildings keep our children dry"

This situation only goes to show how far down we have come as humanity and caring for one another.

Jackson, may people find comfort in your old words!

edit on 1-11-2012 by Sissel because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-11-2012 by Sissel because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by darkhorserider
reply to post by loam

Why are people out on the roads, looking for gas, looking for supplies? If there was gas to be had, the tankers would have a hard time getting there through the traffic. If you are limited on gas, the worst thing you can do is burn it up sitting in line waiting for more?

I saw that and lines at bus stops. Some people are afraid they will get fired if they don't show up for work. They have to try to continue somehow. Otherwise they won't get paid or pay rent... then what? They are not afraid of not eating today or tomorrow, they are worried about next week.

This is an ongoing, developing situation. Could tip either way. People have a right to expect some level of help from their governments. Clear the roads, get the power back on. They can deal with their sandy washed out stuff if they can go to work and see in the dark.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Humans are opportunistic creatures.

/shrug

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Starving homeless in New York are dumpster diving. Sad news. People need food and water.
www.nbcnewyork.com...#!/on-air/as-seen-on/Sandy-Starved-New-Yorkers-Dumpster-Dive/176839571

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by sad_eyed_lady
Starving homeless in New York are dumpster diving. Sad news. People need food and water.
www.nbcnewyork.com...#!/on-air/as-seen-on/Sandy-Starved-New-Yorkers-Dumpster-Dive/176839571

Let me help with your link:

Sandy-Starved New Yorkers Dumpster Dive (VIDEO)

I'm still baffled why people still seem so slow to realize how bad this is getting....or will get.

Watching CNN last night, I was astonished how positive ALL of the reporting was. Nothing like the Geraldo Rivera or Shepard Smith reporting we saw in Katrina....and in many ways this situation is far worse.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Not trying to get off topic, I just want to mention how it's a good thing there were no terrorists (read preppers) otherwise there would be less chaos and looting. Because god forbid someone prepared for a disaster, that just sounds too much like a terrorist to the Govt.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
It just occurred to me that if they handled this the way most small towns do they wouldn't have to be dumpster diving for food or begging the Red Cross to hurry up. If neighbors would take in people or even a few folks they didn't know everyone could at least stay dry and fed.
I know sharing is a foreign concept to many city-dwellers though certainly not to all, they would have to extend their trust to strangers but how many new friendships will be made this way?
I know New Yorkers came together after 9/11 in a way they never had before.
Maybe this will make a change for the positive as well and break some of the usual mistrust that seems so pervasive.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Not trying to be an alarmist but expect martial law if this continues to deteriorate,if it's bad now whats it going to be like in 5 days...

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
It just occurred to me that if they handled this the way most small towns do they wouldn't have to be dumpster diving for food or begging the Red Cross to hurry up. If neighbors would take in people or even a few folks they didn't know everyone could at least stay dry and fed.
I know sharing is a foreign concept to many city-dwellers though certainly not to all, they would have to extend their trust to strangers but how many new friendships will be made this way?
I know New Yorkers came together after 9/11 in a way they never had before.
Maybe this will make a change for the positive as well and break some of the usual mistrust that seems so pervasive.

You know I was wondering about the Red Cross. Do they have any shelters and relief sites set up in NY and NJ
yet for all the people?
Or once again is it mostly about receiving donations.
(Forgive my skepticism that the concert to raise money for them was arranged because Matt Lauer picked up the phone and started making calls. It seems like the kind of thing you'd need several months and weeks of planning to make sure they are available, logistics, etc.)

Also, I saw long lines today of people getting stopped at a checkpoint to make sure they had at least 3 people in the car. Affecting many people's livlihood (unless you live in Connecticutt because while the mayor said it would be months to fix, suddenly a swamped subway system is up and running for a select few?)
Except of course for all of TV media where everyone seems to be present and accounted for.
No trouble for any pesky commuting for these folks. Even the makeup people? The cameramen?
The lighting and sound guys? Wardrobe? None of these people affected?

Lastly, I also saw today where they gave rain totals for the area after Sandy.
3 inches in PA, 3 plus inches in NJ, and the same for Baltimore and Hartford. Total for NY City? .94 inches?
Courtesy of TWC. Now I know I only ever saw it drizzling there, so I suspect that is a correct figure for NY, but why did every other area have 3 times as much rainfall?

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   
While it's true that catastrophes can bring out the worst in people, it can also bring out the best, with many acts of kindness, generosity and compassion. There is also much of that going on in NYC, and NJ.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   
not sure how bad the city is getting but i'm from Long Island and it's getting pretty bad. Pretty much every gas station is out of gas. The very few that are left have lines with 70+ cars waiting to get in. Almost all the gas stations on the island have cops at them to deter any fights from breaking out. The electric is coming back but their are still a lot of places that have zero power. Still lots of trees and wires down around my town, i don't think its anywhere near end of the world status but for a population that depends so much on technology and modern amenities its bad. I heard from my friend that the gas situation in New Jersey is no better. I'm a little worried if we don't get some gas in here soon, i'm sure their will start to be thefts of gas during the night.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Soulreaper54

If you have gas approved cans, you can always siphon some gas out of your car, store it in a safe place. Then you'll at least have some for emergency use, and hopefully get more to replace it at a gas station.

Des

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Being from New Orleans none of this is surprising. Human self presurvation can build character or make one a savage. It takes much less savagery to break a society then character to save it. If nothing else this should point out how very fragile our society is. I believe the world is only an incident away from the dark ages at any given second.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
Well the honest truth is, some of us live paycheck to paycheck, recently my husband lost a weeks work, one week set us back so far we had to choose between food and paying the bills, I hang on to this internet because my son needs it for school, if it wasn't for that I would be off line.

One weeks pay less and we are still behind weeks later, high food and fuel, it is really hurting us.

I am self employed but what little I make helped keep us fed.
edit on 113030p://bThursday2012 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

Yeah, I am self employed and live alone so I am the sole breadwinner. And I'm flat broke. What I have been doing lately is, each time I grocery shop, I buy 1 extra item (cheap) and put it away. It could be a box of crackers, a can of chicken soup that won't tast awful if I eat it right out of the can, or a can of tuna, etc... Adding an extra dollar to my grocery bill won't kill me and now my pantry is stocked with food I can easily eat if the power goes out for a while.

My friends, seeing what I have done, are starting to do this, also.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by NavyDoc
Civilization is only about 9 meals away from collapse.

Yup, thin veneer and all that.

Today makes nine meals down.

Something a lot of people who have never lived in a big city don't realize, a LOT of people live in crappy tiny apartments with tiny galley kitchens, several floors up and with almost no storage space. Keeping a week's worth of food would not be easy and at this point even the well-off may be on their third day without a shower or their regular latte's. Talk about frayed nerves. Meanwhile, everybody thinks they HAVE to get to their jobs or they won't be able to pay their rent, etc next month.

If Obama is smart he'll announce a jubilee of sorts and put a lot of the hitherto unemployed to work in a WPA type program cleaning up, and starting the rebuilding. This will take years, and by then, another couple of storms will have hit in other places, or dead center on NJ and NYC again.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by signalfire

Yes..this is something i havn't heard of in a shtf scenario,people in desperate situations,even starving trying to keep there jobs and rent $ up
Having gas shortages and transit at a stand still i'm wondering how bad it will get.
Millions could lose there homes by default and jobs,businesses by lack of attendance!

edit on 1-11-2012 by all2human because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

We are not going to abandon New York People are starting the re-build right now. There are many social issues to address, with any luck, people will find a way to work together and Improve the city.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by milominderbinder

Originally posted by TKDRL
reply to post by milominderbinder

That is pretty ignorant..... Have you ever even been to the NYC? Outside the tourist traps I mean. It is a quite diverse place..... Wow

Wait...so it's "ignorant" to say that some people might not be able to afford 7 days worth of supplies in advance.

That's a factual statement. In what way is it "ignorant"?

Well, guess some people should take a long took at this situation, and others like Katrina and act accordingly.

The government more then likely won't be there to help you out when something like this happens. I wouldn't be counting on the Red Cross either (those types of organizations get bogged down with administration)

www.drudgereport.com...

No gas, no food - and I am doubtful of their claims of when they are going to get the power back on (a lot of the power grid is underground, areas that were under water - you are going to have to inspect those lines and repair any damage)

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I've seen a couple of MSM interviews that mentioned looting, but the first was this evening. I heard Beck mention it on the way in work, I can only tolerate it in short bursts and caught him talking about some looting somewhere. The MSM mention heard was on Pierce Morgan in an interview with a council woman from Staten Island.

The full damage and scope of a disaster is known by this time, and also follow on effects like gas shortages and such are starting to set in. A prepared person who didn't suffer catastrophic damage to their dwelling shouldn't be in too bad of shape at this point, but we all know there are many people who did not prepare. However, even the woefully unprepared shouldn't be in too bad of shape at this point though at 72 hours without food, it does become a major concern.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join