It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POST SANDY: "People are turning on each other -- they're attacking each other"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+16 more 
posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Hurricane Sandy Looting, Fights Plague South Brooklyn

Water that had risen six feet high hadn't completely drained away from the streets of Coney Island in Brooklyn, N.Y., yet looters had already rifled through the remains of vulnerable shops on Mermaid Avenue.

"The water went away and these people started walking down the streets and just robbed stores," a frustrated worker at the pharmacy, who wished to remain anonymous, told HuffPost Crime.

...police presence in the neighborhood came after looters stole from banks, pharmacies and other shops with valuables.

"It's getting dark, and it's real dangerous out here -- that's why there's a cop on every block," one NYPD officer told HuffPost Crime. "You could get your stuff stolen."

What's interesting to me is how quiet the boob tube media is on this... If I hadn't been reading about these looter and violence accounts, I wouldn't know they were happening.

But if you read the user comments below most print stories, it's clear this is a big problem...and only likely to get much worse.

Scary stuff.

ETA:

Infowars does a pretty good job of making the case that the media is largely ignoring this problem:

Looters Plague Hurricane Victims Post-Sandy

The very real acts of looting now deepening the suffering of hurricane victims are no laughing matter.

The New York Post reports that looters are ransacking “stores and homes across the city” and that some are posing as utility workers to con victims.

These people are not acting out of desperation by looting water or food, they are stealing clothes and electronics.

edit on 31-10-2012 by loam because: (no reason given)

edit on Wed Oct 31 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: trimmed long quotes IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

+33 more 
posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   
High population densities like that of NY and NJ pretty much guarantee looting.

Anyone who didnt expect this is smoking too many rainbows.

Not really surprising the MSM isnt reporting it. They have higher priorities. Like Christies defacto support of Obama and how Obama walking around makes building rebuild themselves.

Looting Reported at Seaport
Looters organize via Twitter
Nine arrested for allegedly looting
Homes and businesses hit by looters
edit on 31-10-2012 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Agreed.

I think people forget that the worst part of natural disasters like this one is what comes afterwards.

Poor people.

+10 more 
posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   
There is always a small segment of the population that is looking for an excuse to act badly. Looting, fighting and predatory behavior after two days? That seems criminal and not out of "need".

What happened in Katrina wasn't all about stealing or looting...it was about survival. This is not quite the same. If things were terrible weeks after the storm, I could sympathize...but two days? That just sounds wrong.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Jeremiah65

Originally posted by Jeremiah65
There is always a small segment of the population that is looking for an excuse to act badly. Looting, fighting and predatory behavior after two days? That seems criminal and not out of "need".

What happened in Katrina wasn't all about stealing or looting...it was about survival. This is not quite the same. If things were terrible weeks after the storm, I could sympathize...but two days? That just sounds wrong.

I don't think you understand how dire things are in NY and NJ and elsewhere:

There's A Mass Exodus Of Manhattanites Heading Uptown In Search Of Food And Cellphone Power

Power remains cutoff in lower Manhattan, and no one knows when it will turn back on.

So a mass exodus has begun uptown in search of two things: food, and battery power.

Things will get MUCH worse before they get better. Mark my words on that.

edit on 31-10-2012 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   
they said they weren't stealing any food/water, but they don't say if there is any food/water to be stolen left on the shelves?

could be possible many are stealing items to trade for food and water, just a thought.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   

You got it. It wont be reported unless one of them does it (for the ratings ofcourse). They'll attempt to portay this disaster recovery as a smooth one to the best.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by LittleBlackEagle
they said they weren't stealing any food/water, but they don't say if there is any food/water to be stolen left on the shelves?

could be possible many are stealing items to trade for food and water, just a thought.

Possibly.

Does Brookstone carry Ramen?

A security guard at the South Street Seaport observed approximately one dozen looters early this morning at the Brookstone on Fulton Street.

Maybe they were holding people up for food and water?

“Guys were looting, pretending they were Con Ed and holding people up. It was sick,” cab driver Eric Martine told the New York Post.

For scum like this food and water is at the bottom of the priority totem.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
I was in Florida from 2004 to 2011,and weathered 4 hurricanes during that period.

Two of those storms hit the area I was living,both somewhat severe,and pretty devastating.

I personally didn't get a lot of damage or loss from them,aside from losing electricity for about a month from one,and a tad over a week during another.

I didn't really witness a lot of ill behavior from people there during any of these storms,all of the traffic control lights were down for a time,but people were actually being pretty good about their driving.I found that pretty amazing,considering most of the drivers there were some of the worst I had ever seen anywhere.

It did tend to get tedious for a time when grocery stores that lost power were forced to throw out their stock because refridgeration went down,and gas was hard to get because my car had the gascap on the passenger side instead of the drivers side like most others.So I rode my bicycle,have been every since,by the way...

I was replying to some of these discussions about the hurricane that smacked the northeast,and realized pretty early on there was one big difference between the storms I weathered compared to in the north.

COLD!.

These people are cold,hungry,probably really need a few things they can't get,and don't know how to act when they are not able to get what they need any other way in a situation like they find themselves in now.

There is still no excuse for getting violent about it though,I am not making an excuse for their misbehavior/misdemeanor.

The thing that worries me is what is going to happen when this becomes the norm,when people can't get what they want or need because they can't afford it,or it simply isn't there for them to buy.

I have been preparing for the time when a lot of people react in an inappropriate way to lack of available food,water,housing and so on for some years now.My life quite literally collapsed 12 years ago for health reasons,employment loss,loss of housing,joblessness.....

It takes a while to get used to appreciating nothing,because nothing is all there is in the worst case scenario.

When people react badly,they simply lost their way,they have become needy consumers,helpless.

Then you have the aggressive predator types who take from the weaker ones,using their kids or something else for an excuse to behave badly.

There is nothing going on here we didn't get ourselves into all by ourselves.

It can always be worse.

Anyways....................

+12 more 
posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   
MSM reporting of looting and bad behavior will be suppressed until after the elections.

They have their orders....after the elections we'll get a better view of the reality of what is happening now.

One thing I did see on CNN this morning. Video of areas from the air/chopper, of many many homes on fire. Sporadic homes in full blaze. The reporter was commenting on rescue people trying o figure out how these fires are starting. I think a lot of people who are seeing now, their homes severely damaged by water, and not having flood insurance, are taking advantage of their home fire insurance. It only causes more damage to all the homes around them.

Des

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by hp1229

You got it. It wont be reported unless one of them does it (for the ratings ofcourse). They'll attempt to portay this disaster recovery as a smooth one to the best.

It is what they're paid to do after all.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone

I think a lot of people who are seeing now, their homes severely damaged by water, and not having flood insurance, are taking advantage of their home fire insurance. It only causes more damage to all the homes around them.

That's exactly what they're doing. Very few people have flood insurance. Even those living at or below sea level. Geniuses.

But everybody has fire insurance. And chances are good that by the time any investigator can get to the scene any evidence of arson will be long gone.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Coming soon to a town or city near you when the dollar crashes! Prepare accordingly folks!

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Ya will not hit MSM until a few of them get shot.
So were all those million of MRA fema got a few month ago.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by MyHappyDogShiner

I agree with your post.

Not many would understand what those people had just gone through. The rich and the educated would have stocked up enough to ride out the disaster. But many whom are traumatised, poor, ignorant or misled would resort to turning on to anyone and anything.

But the rule of law must be maintained, or chaos will result. It will have to begin with you and me, to share what we have, and call on the State authorities to supply necessary needs, to rebuild the State and society so that none be left behind, espacially after a disaster such as Sandy.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

Originally posted by Destinyone

I think a lot of people who are seeing now, their homes severely damaged by water, and not having flood insurance, are taking advantage of their home fire insurance. It only causes more damage to all the homes around them.

That's exactly what they're doing. Very few people have flood insurance. Even those living at or below sea level. Geniuses.

But everybody has fire insurance. And chances are good that by the time any investigator can get to the scene any evidence of arson will be long gone.

I totally agree. They see their homes as a complete loss from water and wind as it is...just set it ablaze and collect on the fire insurance. I honestly think this trend will be far worse than the original damage due to the storm. Selfish people may very well set whole sections and neighborhoods on fire on purpose. There is no way in hell, these fires set in the middles of heavily damaged areas can be easily reached to curtail the spread.

Des

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

I am no dreamer, or live life through rose colored lens, but Please do not think ill of your neighbour, espacially as you have no evidences to proof. A man is innocent till guilty.

Rumours feed upon itself and ultimately will destroy societies, more so unsubstantiated ones at times like these. What had happened, had already happened. Everyone should remain vigilant, and look out for one another, not hurting or harming one another right now.

Man are reasonable beings. It begins by reasoning through communication with each other, not by accusations, to find better ways and solutions out.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   
You've got to wonder just how bad things will get if there ever is a near or complete breakdown of society for whatever reason.

It's sad that people will react in such a manner but somewhat predictable given the divisions within our societies.

Perhaps those preppers do have a point or two - they certainly don't seem that crazy now.

On a slighlty different note I was pleased to hear earlier on today from a mate of mine who lives in Manhattan - he's fine other than he's got no power - he had stocked up on food, beer and other essentials though.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I have not seen a single video of people actually looting, it was just the aftermath of the storm. Every time there was a bad black out or a disaster sort of situation, people actually became a lot more friendlier, ever notice that? There was a black out a few years ago it lasted 3 days, not a single store got looted, not a single person got hurt, everyone was outside, BBQ their food to share with the community and family, people that you wouldn't expect to come up to a police officer to hand him water did it anyways, don't know you guys, but were being played pretty bad.

By the way, if the stores got looted, why are there still supply's in the stores? that picture is of a store packed with bottles.
edit on 31-10-2012 by XaniMatriX because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join