It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

London MEGA Mosque o_O

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Now i'm guessing most of you think a muslim a muslim, well there are many different divisions and ideology in muslim faith, and this mega mosque is the Tablighi Jamaat muslim faith.

Tablighi Jamaat, an ultraorthodox Islamic sect which preaches that Muslims should replicate the life of Muhammad and tells them it is their duty to travel the world converting non-believers to the one true faith.

The fundamentalist sect of Islam Tablighi Jamaat are the ones wanting and paying for this European Mecca smack bang in the middle of London, my home city.

Here's a really good article from the guardian Uk paper about the tablighi jamaat muslims, to give you a insight about them.
www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by TheMaverick

Why is that any different from Christian missionaries? Do they not travel the world, believing it is their duty to convert the unbeliever?

I do have a problem with Wahabi Islam as it is so repressive and aggressive, but then i have a problem with any religion that runs on similar lines.

Looking at some of the responses here though, maybe i have the wrong viewpoint. I spent 5 years as the only white person for about 10 mins either direction in Bradford and never had a problem and have also worked in Libya, again without problem. So maybe i have tinted spectacles. I really do not see the problem though with this mosque.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by SearchLightsInc

Look what happened to Constantinople - I mean Istanbul...

For centuries, the last bastion of the Roman Empire and Orthodox Christian. Ottomans take over and build the Hagia Sophia (on the site of a former Orthodox temple!) to stamp their brand on the area.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Bad example. Just to be Devils Advocate, i could equally say that the Roman Empire built there temples all over existing ones in every country they invaded. As an example, look at the Temple of Minerva in Bath, the Temple of Jupiter in Baalbek, etc.

Or that the Normans did exactly the same when they beat the Anglo Saxons, etc. In point of fact, one of the very few Empires that never (or rarely) did that was the British Empire. Same for the Vikings.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian
Why is that any different from Christian missionaries? Do they not travel the world, believing it is their duty to convert the unbeliever?

They tend not to blow up/execute/stone those who refuse to comply though..

I've had the "pleasure" of working with some Salafi (Wahabi by another name) Muslims in Slough.

For a whole year, I was bullied, pressured and cajoled about pretty much everything in my "decadent" Western life, from eating bacon, to smoking, to having a baby (and then looking after it - women s work apparently).

These were not your bearded video-makers, oh no, these were all young, well shaven and educated Muslim men who, if you saw them on the street or just spoke to them in passing, would seem quite nice. Get them in private, or where they feel safe (they outnumbered us 5-1 in our department) and the mood changes.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

reply to post by Flavian

It was an example off the top of my head, hardly one I poured hours of research into.

Never the less, it was a specific reply to the other poster who said about them wanting to build a big Mosque to stamp their authority and "ownership" on an area. I not once said it was the only example, in fact, it is something most culture do when trying to subvert another. In actual fact, it was a excellent example

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

Originally posted by Flavian

They tend not to blow up/execute/stone those who refuse to comply though..

No but then they do perpetrate acts like encouraging Africans not to use condoms. I could go on. The point being that extremists are extremists - not particularly pleasant regardless of denomination.

We are a nation that is known for not discriminating. They make up less than 3% of the population - hardly a threat to the national structure, despite what the DM may think!

To be honest, i flit between the whole Muslim paranoia issues from finding it highly amusing to being extremely sad that this is stage we have got to.

If Muslims were a huge percentage of the population, i may find this mosque more of a problem. At present though, i think it is a good idea and none of the posts so far have made me reassess that position. Who knows though? Someone may say something that puts a different spin on it for me.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I do think its healthy to discuss these issues and divisions - our government would brand us racist by not being so PC about these problems..

At the end of the day, censorship is negative.
edit on 31-10-2012 by Sinny because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sinny
I do think its healthy to discuss these issues and divisions - out government would brand us racist by not being so PC about these problems..

At the end of the day, cencorship is negative.

Totally agree with that.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

I was about to say it's a great example you gave, and is exactly what is taking place with this mosque.
Some people are forgetting we are now in the 21st century, the days of creating mega temples to implement a aggressive conversion of faith on a society and it's youth are over, and to allow this MEGA Mosque in London is a step backwards for our country.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
So, effectively many are saying it is ok to compromise our faith and belief in freedom of worship because we are uncomfortable about the funding and nature of this mega-mosque?

Once we start banning where people can worship on the grounds of what they are worshipping where and when will it stop?

"First they came for the communists........."

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

I largely agree in so far as I do not consider them a particular problem worth getting all worked up over....

However, having worked closely with some who I previously though of as "Westernised" (they certainly appeared it), the views they harboured and only spoke about when they felt comfortable, worried me. Not only were they trying to force views upon me, but from what I heard them talk about and what I have seen in the media since shows they are actively subverting the democratic process. First at local level andn we do see now they have the main parties litterally falling over themselves to have "Muslim" MP's, as if their religion matters! Do we count the number of Christian, Jewish, Hindu or Sikh Mp's?

Also, I am guilty of this myself by the way, but the 3% figure is based off the 2001 census... A lot has changed in the past 11 years, in fact, the last decade has been the one where immigration peaked. I am eagerly awaiting the results of the 2011 census to be published....

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

Not at all, matey. I have a problem with this group who want to build it because of their dubious links to Salafists in Saudi. The Muslim group who opposes it also says they have more than enough Mosques and they should be looking to consolidate, not build more.

At the end of the day, local opposition to this plan is strong with even the council opposing it. One has to wonder why they do not build the mosque in an area with a high Muslim population which would use it, rather than in the middle of an area which evidently doesn't.

Freedom to worship, think and live your life goes both ways, after all.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by samsamm9
A mosque, a temple or a church are houses of god, why so scared ?
Would you rather have built a massage parlor, a strip joint, a liquor store or a gun shop in your area ???

Whats wrong with having more booze and massages?
I think that would calm people down

I think pole dancers may actually raise some peoples blood pressure but in a good way

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

If this MEGA Mosque does get the green light in London, i like to see what you americans did, when this kind of thing was tried in new york at ground zero, have a wealthy guy, buy up land next door to this mosque, and apply for planning permission to build a giant strip bar.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by TheMaverick

New Yorkers have a funny sense of that whole balancing Yin and Yang thing....

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Is there such a shortage of mosques that neccesitates a 'Mega' one being built?

If it isn't built will people really have nowhere to pray?
edit on 31-10-2012 by khimbar because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by khimbar

I know of 5 giant mosque's in London, and after a quick search apparently there are 352 mosque's just in london, which kinda shocked me really, i know it was quite a few, but not that many..

Do they really need anymore mosque's, considering only 3% of the whole population of the uk are muslims.

It's a WTF moment Look --->Mosques in London
edit on 31-10-2012 by TheMaverick because: link added

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Yea id love my town to be like this...

That wouldnt be at all annoying would it.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I see no difference between one cult's clubhouse and another cult's club house.

You wanna spend millions of dollars to build a place where you get all get together and share your delusions, that's fine.

You want to oppose it because you feel like Muslims are taking over your country? That's also fine.

But don't go around pretending you aren't a Xenophobe.

~Tenth
edit on 10/31/2012 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join