It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

London MEGA Mosque o_O

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
reply to post by Sinny

Seems to me that the Daily Mail article is just digging up old news. It isn't saying anything of note on there about any new plans, just re-hashing what we already know, which is they had planning permission refused and the local council even tried to have them removed from their current site, which was overturned on appeal and an extension was granted for the site in it's current use, which expires this year.

If I was a cynic, I'd guess that the DM has dug this up to remind everyone about it just "in case" they get more time or get given planning permission for the new Mosque.

Spot on, and well pointed out

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by samsamm9
A mosque, a temple or a church are houses of god, why so scared ?
Would you rather have built a massage parlor, a strip joint, a liquor store or a gun shop in your area ???
Or you're just scared at the idea of 10 000 brown men gathering together ?

edit on 31-10-2012 by samsamm9 because: (no reason given)

What ridiculous logic!

If there isn't a mosque, that automatically means there will be some den of debauchery instead?

Fact is, many local residents are against this and that is the bottom line. I suspect many of the thousands of worshippers who would attend such a place would come in from a much wider area.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

lets just hope everybody gets what they want out of this situation, cause the powers that be got what they want. dividing of the people that bicker over religion. its like kids fighting over witch one is best teenage mutant ninja turtle.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

Personally I feel that it means "society" is bending over backwards for a specified religion.
Whereas no other religion has that precedent, besides presumably Catholics.
But their buildings have been standing for hundreds of years.

What does it mean?
Seems there is a plan afoot that the people have no say in or choice.
Almost like they are forcing you to go along with their agenda, or what-have-you.

Again, the serfs (taxpayers or non-politicians) are just that and should bow down.
The ruling class has spoken. Now, get on your knees!

That's exactly what it seems like to me.
Good job for getting the word out there!
You should help and definitely join a protest group.
At least you can say you tried to do something.
Rather than just talk about it...be about it!

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   

reply to post by Flavian

I suppose a different (and highly controversial) way of looking at it for those opposed would be that at least most of the Muslims would be in one place at certain times of the day!

What do you mean by that ?
Second line.

Exactly what i wrote. I personally, as stated, think this is good idea and have no problem with it. Some clearly do though.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Would you rather have built a massage parlor, a strip joint, a liquor store or a gun shop in your area ???
Or you're just scared at the idea of 10 000 brown men gathering together ?

edit on 31-10-2012 by samsamm9 because: (no reason given)

The world could always use more booze! =D

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by havok
reply to post by Sinny

Personally I feel that it means "society" is bending over backwards for a specified religion.
But their buildings have been standing for hundreds of years.

What does it mean?
Almost like they are forcing you to go along with their agenda, or what-have-you.

Again, the serfs (taxpayers or non-politicians) are just that and should bow down.
The ruling class has spoken. Now, get on your knees!

That's exactly what it seems like to me.
Good job for getting the word out there!
You should help and definitely join a protest group.
At least you can say you tried to do something.
Rather than just talk about it...be about it!

That's more like it!

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by havok

How come?

If plans were afoot to build a Church Of England 'superchurch' do you think the authorities would oppose it?

And how on earth do you work that out?
Catholics are the UK's largest minority and are also the only religion legally discriminated against.

Are you seriously saying that the Anglican Communion has not been given preferential treatment over the years throughout the UK?

What does it mean?

What plan is that?

What agenda?

Please don't get me wrong; I have genuine concerns about creeping Islamification within the UK, but the problem is not as widespread as some would have us believe....yet.
And I have an intense dislike of the more extreme interpretations of Islam and those who preach and believe it.
And I feel these concerns need to be addressed as soon as possible.

But the FACT is that there is a very large Muslim community in London, a large percentage of whom are active worshippers - and not just the 'brown skinned' one's.
And that community has the financial wherewithal to fund and maintain a 'super' mosque.

My personal concern is that extreme forms of Islam are taught at the mosque - I suspect that inside such a large community a certain amount of extremism and fanatacism is unfortunately inevitable.
But at the same time it can be argued that extremism would be noted and reported in such a large and high profile establishment.

Denying Muslims, or anyone for that matter, a place to worship will not eradicate the problems we have with Islam.
In fact by forcing them to worship in secret or seclusion and isolation we will only increase their sense of alienation etc.
edit on 31/10/12 by Freeborn because: grammar and clarity

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by samsamm9

Personally I'd like to see every single church, mosque, synagogue, temple, meeting house etc knocked down and replaced with a bar, strip joint, knocking shop, or any other place of fun and enjoyment but that just isn't going to happen. (I don't quite like the idea of gun shop's being anywhere).

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   
I see the racism card already in play in this thread, well let me tell you, it's a load of rubbish playing the racism card in london, were are the most multiculturalist city in the world, its not just white people who oppose this mosque, it's all ethnics groups in london, and racism has nothing to do with it.

1 in 3 muslims support sharia law in the UK, and do you know this mosque is being finance by Saudi Arabian backers, who refuse to talk to the local people about future intentions for this mosque, and meetings concerning this mosque is for muslims only, so if this mosque is for the good of london and the community, why are locals not permitted to be present at these meetings.

Here a few Vids concerning this MEGA Mosque of Europe....As some of the local muslims call this the European mecca...We don't want this on our doorstep.

Also they plan to build a muslim only school inside this mosque ?

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

Have you ever considered the Anglicans got special treatment because it IS the religion of England?

Ha ha.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

Not anymore, according to the figures. The religion would be football. Or X Factor - terrifying prospect!

Could you imagine.......I pray to thee Simon Cowell. Actually, i bet he does imagine it, very regularly.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by TheMaverick

I understand fully your concerns, and if I was to be entirely honest I've got to say I don't think I'd be entirely comfortable if this was in my own back yard, but I'm not entirely sure what the alternative is.

Even though I'm agnostic I still fully support a person's right to freedom of thought and belief - and I would fight to defend that right.
And people have a right to worship how, what, where and when they like providing they are not breaking any laws or infringing upon other's rights.
That is one of the basic cornerstone's of our society - and once we compromise that where will it stop?

And by restricting or placing conditions and limitations on where people are allowed to worship will onlyfurther alienate and compound the problem.

As usual there is no straight forward answer or solution.

And I know it's not a matter of race - I think those comments were directed at something someone posted about 'brown skinned' people.
It's a shame that many can't differentiate between dislike of Islam or interpretations of Islam and dislike of Muslims.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

Have you ever considered the Anglicans got special treatment because it IS the religion of England?

And before Henry VIII spat his dummy out and forced his own brand of Protestantism upon people Catholicism was the religion of England - and before that - and before that etc.

The point is that Islam is NOT being given preferential treatment as the poster claimed and that other religions HAVE been given preferential treatment in the past, again contrary to what the poster claimed.

Ha ha indeed.

And I'd beg to differ - the religions of England are celebrity, the banal and the trivial.
It may seem strange coming from an agnostic but matters spiritual have long since ceased to be a concern for the vast majority of English and British people.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

See what's gets me is - I'm all FOR mutlicultralism - I think we'd suffer lots if we segregated our selves..

However - having said that, a lot of our Muslim friends seem hell bent on converting/infiltrating/sabotaging the UK.

On a side note - I'd much prefer being surrounded by thousands of Chinese people instead of people who would stone me/ gang rape me/ chop off my hands because I'm wearing something "to revealing".

And I'm sorry if that seems like a generalisation - but its how the majority are over here.

The Muslim religion is still 2 centuries behind our western culture, so unless they want to embrass it - I see no need for them to be here.
edit on 31-10-2012 by Sinny because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Religion in the United Kingdom via percentage.

ROMAN CATHOLIC 12.5 %

PRESBYTERIAN (INCLUDING THE CHURCH OF SCOTLAND) 5.5%

OTHER CHRISTIAN 8.2%

MUSLIM 2.7%

HINDU 1.0%

SIKH 0.6%

JEWISH 0.5%

BUDDHIST 0.3%

OTHER 0.3%

NO RELIGION 29.0%
Now only 2.7% of the UK have muslim faith, but yet trying to build the biggest mosque in europe bang in the middle of london, who already have over 300 mosque's, so it's not as if they don't have any were to go, i believe the purpose of this mosque is to create a bigger muslim following in the UK and to try and implement the muslim dream of sharia law in the UK and Europe , which we don't want in the UK and especially not on my doorstep, i like to see the UK move away from the madness of religious ideology's.

Also, Saudi Arabia are funding this mega mosque but you wont find one church or for that matter any other religious temples in Saudi Arabia other then muslim temples, let alone a mega temple, do you really think the saudi would tolerate the west building a mega church in there capital...No they wouldn't, in-fact they would behead you for even thinking about it.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
You know building an incredibly large mosque, i would argue, discourages integration between the clashing cultures of that area. Also, building it would almost be like a status symbol of "owning" that land - in the name of islam and all that follow which i believe could heighten any underlying tensions in the community at large.

Im sure, as usual, the muslims will get their way.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by TheMaverick

Even some Muslim groups oppose it..

In March 2008 Ghayasuddin Siddiqui, co-founder of the Muslim Parliament of Great Britain, publicly opposed the construction of the mosque, stating that "We have too many mosques. I think it should not be built. What we need first is more integration between the existing mosques and the wider community."

Siddiqui's opposition joins that of Craig, together with that of Irfan Al-Alawi, the director of the Center for Islamic Pluralism Europe, who expressed extreme concern about the spread of Tablighi Jamaat

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheMaverick
Religion in the United Kingdom via percentage.

ROMAN CATHOLIC 12.5 %

PRESBYTERIAN (INCLUDING THE CHURCH OF SCOTLAND) 5.5%

OTHER CHRISTIAN 8.2%

MUSLIM 2.7%

HINDU 1.0%

SIKH 0.6%

JEWISH 0.5%

BUDDHIST 0.3%

OTHER 0.3%

NO RELIGION 29.0%
Now only 2.7% of the UK have muslim faith, but yet trying to build the biggest mosque in europe bang in the middle of london, who already have over 300 mosque's, so it's not as if they don't have any were to go, i believe the purpose of this mosque is to create a bigger muslim following in the UK and to try and implement the muslim dream of sharia law in the UK and Europe , which we don't want in the UK and especially not on my doorstep, i like to see the UK move away from the madness of religious ideology's.

Also, Saudi Arabia are funding this mega mosque but you wont find one church or for that matter any other religious temples in Saudi Arabia other then muslim temples, let alone a mega temple, do you really think the saudi would tolerate the west building a mega church in there capital...No they wouldn't, in-fact they would behead you for even thinking about it.

Bravo! And thank you!

I'd offer the same argument

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

I understand and indeed share many of your concerns but at what point do we compromise our own principle's of freedom of speech, thought and belief?
And if we do at what cost?

Islam is an all encompassing belief system and many of it's tenets are brutal, restrictive, repressive and seem very outdated to those with a more 'western' and liberal viewpoint.

And it's true that some want to impose this upon us all - and they must be resisted at all costs, Sharia has no place in the UK - but what right have we got to restrict where anyone can worship?

And as TheMaverick pointed out the fact that it is funded by Saudi Wahhabists is worrisome to say the least.
Wahhabists have been shown to control many, if not the majority, of 'extremist' Mosques within the UK.

As I said before, there's certainly no easy, straight forward answer or solution.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join