It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Voyager 1 Detects Weirdness At Solar System Edge

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Maybe things are changing above Pluto's orbyt?

edit on 2-11-2012 by dragnik because: wrong code entry

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by dragnik

It seems there is nothing out there, for a very long distance... I can be wrong...
voyager.jpl.nasa.gov...

edit on 2-11-2012 by dragnik because: additional link

I AM SATAN, TOO

edit on 2-11-2012 by dragnik because: addition of photo

... and, I realy want to go BACK to Hell

edit on 2-11-2012 by dragnik because: additional text

edit on 2-11-2012 by dragnik because: misstake grammatical

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by dragnik
reply to post by dragnik

It seems there is nothing out there, for a very long distance... I can be wrong...
voyager.jpl.nasa.gov...

Very long distances relative to the speed of Voyager. However, Alpha Centauri and other many other stars in our tiny corner of the Galaxy are extremely close when talking about the relative size of the galaxy.

Even if we see how far our radio signals have travel in the past 100 years -- even moving at the speed of light -- we can see how close a radius of 100 light years is, relative to the galaxy, as seen in this other ATS thread:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

I would be out of my mind with excitement if only I knew half of what the article is telling us.

magnetic boundary with the interstellar medium. No idea.

"termination shock" -- a region where the solar wind begins to interact with the interstellar medium. There are solar winds way out there???

magnetic field becomes compressed and begins to fluctuate. What's compressing it?

charged cosmic rays entering the solar system ENTERING the solar system from where?

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Anyway, 1 Light-Day limit, it seems to be broken... It shows 27 hours, and something, from The Sun, MINUS 8 MINUTES from The Sun to The Earth, it is still over 27 hours... That is big thing and interesting news...

They are both to pass nearby neighbouring stars, but in far future... There is about on linked page... voyager.jpl.nasa.gov...

Of course, the communication with Earth is to be stopped, soon, in next few years, probably... Because of impossibility to locate signal from...
edit on 2-11-2012 by dragnik because: additional text

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Those people working on it are well paid, because they can understand such a things...
That is very complex theory, with everyday improvements...
That is not the same inside, and outside our Solar System...
Those values are not too big, except the cosmic radiation...
Where from? From outer sources of radiation, meaning, other active cosmic bodies, stars, quazars, and similar.
We have some kind of protection from it, inside Solar System, and, especialy, on our planet, because of its atmosphaire and its own electro-magnetic field...
This is beutifull place in Space, and I love it

edit on 2-11-2012 by dragnik because: misstake grammatical

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

In comparation with, relatively, that is just behind the corner, but, in practice, in absolute, we can not reach them, with current level of technology, of course. Thousands of years, even tens of thousand years, are needed any expedition sent from The Earth, to reach them. On nowdays level. And, we are not sure that there is the appropriate planet, there, for us. Maybe some farer ones, but they are much farer, absolutely, of course.
However, our technology and level of knowladge is rising everyday, so, we can expect improvements, even some kind of revolution, in that way...

www.facebook.com...

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

I watched the movie, few times...

jra

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

Like the Earth, the Sun generates a magnetic field too, but one that engulfs the entire solar system. The Interstellar medium is all the stuff between the stars like gas and dust etc.

"termination shock" -- a region where the solar wind begins to interact with the interstellar medium. There are solar winds way out there???

Most definitely. Solar wind is what helps to create the heliosphere that surrounds our solar system

magnetic field becomes compressed and begins to fluctuate. What's compressing it?

The interstellar medium. The solar wind begins to slow down once it begins to interact with the interstellar medium.

charged cosmic rays entering the solar system ENTERING the solar system from where?

From anywhere and everywhere in the entire Universe.
edit on 2-11-2012 by jra because: fixed tags

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by PerfectAnomoly

thanks man i will check it out right away .

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Seeing that graphic makes me a little teary-eyed. I worked on the Voyager II Encounter with Jupiter project at JPL, 1978-79. The team I was on processed the visual data from the spacecraft into pictures. We got to see them first before I (just a lowly go-fer) delivered them to the guys downstairs in Mission Control. I'm sure all of my former teammates are wiping tears just like me. We didn't expect them to get this far. So long Hewey and Dewey!

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Wonderful topic (even without the V-Ger references). We are sorely lacking in real data to supplement the ever more elaborate models of comic phenomena.

And science needs data.

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Caffeineforge

...We are sorely lacking in real data to supplement the ever more elaborate models of comic phenomena.

And science needs data.

And Voyager (and other probes) are instruments for the collection of scientific data.

This story is another example of how science works: Make observations and /or collect data, then create hypotheses to attempt to explain those observations.

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by jra

Originally posted by jiggerj

Like the Earth, the Sun generates a magnetic field too, but one that engulfs the entire solar system. The Interstellar medium is all the stuff between the stars like gas and dust etc.

Most definitely. Solar wind is what helps to create the heliosphere that surrounds our solar system

The interstellar medium. The solar wind begins to slow down once it begins to interact with the interstellar medium.

From anywhere and everywhere in the entire Universe.
edit on 2-11-2012 by jra because: fixed tags

Is electro-magnetic field of The Sun responsible for solar wind? The Sun is a kind of generator, which force the flow of gases and dust?

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
What is the purpose of those explorations of The Solar System? To exploit it in future times, I guess? Mines on Mars, Neptun, and similar, even factories there? And to create the infrastucture there, in purpose of cheap transport of all of those products, and of people? I believe it is possible, and it will be, not too far in time

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Haven't I seen a troian satellite near The Moon? I saw it few times, so it could be that... LaGrange's point, 60 degres...

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 02:52 AM
link   
Ok so i might have missed this, but i always wonder something when i read about the voyager and it's brethren in the black.

Why, exactly, don't we have like five or six 'research' probes in the deepest parts of our oceans if half the current requirements for life on other worlds include the presence of water?

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Josephus

Thanks for the stars everybody. I've never gotten this many from one comment before.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 05:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by RUFFREADY
I don't get it. Hope there won't be a test.
But anyway, I guess that since the V'ger is 122 AU's from us (1 AU=

93,000,000 miles in KM=I don't know metric chit) It is at the edge of our solar systems interference and at the

"outer effects" of the void between stars. V'ger might be all charged up once it hit that boundry and its showing

buy its reaction to interstellar space. Even between stars (in the vacum of space) there's stuff. Some of that stuff

might not beable to "enter into contained solar systems", but..when an object leaves the "shell" of its solar system

it go's bat chit!

What I don't understand is why the hell did those guys back in the 70's or whatever, WHY DID THEY NOT SEND OUT A DOZEN OF THESE VOYAGERS IN DIFFERENT DIRECTIONS SO THEY COULD ALL SEND EXCITING DATA BACK TO EAR FROM ALL CORNERS OF EXITING THE SOLAR SYSTEM????

I MEAN THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN AWESOME IF WE FOUND OUT THAT SO MUCH STUFF WAS DIFFERENT THAN WHAT WE THOUGHT AND WE WOULD HAVE MUCH MORE THAN JUST ONE VOYAGER TO CONFIRM IT OR SEND US DIFFERENT RESULTS FROM DIFFERENT AREAS OF THE LEAVING THE SOLAR SYSTEM

THINK ABOUT IT FOR A SEC...ABOUT HOW AWESOME IT WOOD BE TO HAVE LOTS OF TEHSE CRAFTS VENTURING OUT INTO INTERSTELLAR SPACE AND HOW MUCH BIGGER THE CHANCES IT WOULD BE FOR AN ET RACE TO FIND ONE OF THEM AND COME BACK TO SAVE EARTH FROM HUMANS

I MEAN WHAT'S THE WORST THING THAT COULD HAPPEN.... THE ALIENS WOULD COME TO DEPLEATE OUR RESOURCES OR KILL OFF OUR PLANET... WELL WE HUMANS A DOING A JOB JUST FINE AND DANDY
SO WHY NOT LET SOME ET DO IT, AT LEAST THEY WOUD HAVE MORE ODDS OF SAVING OUR PLANET INSTEAD ÔF DESTROYING IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by dubiousone

Originally posted by smyleegrl
Greetings, ATS!

So, it seems Voyager 1 is encountering some high strangeness as it prepares to leave the solar system.

Why does the illustration depict Voyager as crossing a "bow shock" as though the heliosphere is travelling against the current?

Aren't the interstellar "wind" and particles coming at our system equally from all directions? Or is there indeed a "bow shock" as depicted because our system is travelling through space in the depicted direction at an incredible speed?
edit on 10/31/2012 by dubiousone because: grammar and spelling

There is no bow shock as IBEX discovered just this year but the solar system is still moving incredibly fast through space.

IBEX data have shown that the heliosphere actually moves through the local interstellar cloud at about 52,000 miles per hour, roughly 7,000 miles per hour slower than previously thought

www.dailymail.co.uk...

Not only do they expect to see bow shock at the helm, but they expect there to be sort of a tail, but surprisingly they saw no bow shock.

The following is from wikipedia and I find it a little odd. I hope someone makes a drawing of this very soon because it makes me curious and I can't imagine what they aqre trying to describe.

The Voyager 1 and Voyager 2 mission currently includes studying the heliosheath. In late 2010, Voyager 1 reached a region of the heliosheath where the solar wind's velocity had dropped to zero.[14][15][16][17] In 2011, astronomers announced that the Voyagers had determined that the heliosheath is not smooth, but is filled with 100 million-mile-wide bubbles created by the impact of the solar wind and the interstellar medium.[18][19] Voyager 1 and 2 began detecting evidence for the bubbles in 2007 and 2008, respectively.[19] The probably sausage-shaped bubbles are formed by magnetic reconnection between oppositely oriented sectors of the solar magnetic field as the solar wind slows down.[19] They probably represent self-contained structures that have detached from the interplanetary magnetic field

sausage shaped bubbles??

Maybe I need to come back and reread this after some sleep.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join