Voyager 1 Detects Weirdness At Solar System Edge

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 01:15 AM
link   
We sure don't build them like we used to.

Faster, cheaper, lighter my arse...........

Go get some voyager 1,.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 05:44 AM
link   
To be honest, I could care less what Voyager whatever number has to say. The fact is, we should have colonies on both The Moon and Mars by now. You tell me when President corrupt decides it's time to stop waging war on brown people and starts advancing our species towards our true destiny. Until then, Voyager 1 can go crash into Pluto for all I care.
edit on 1-11-2012 by Dishonored because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy06shake
I see it this way our solar system is kind of like a cell and Proxima Centauri is just another cell a little further away. Us clever Monkeys just managed to breach our cell. Quite an accomplishment for the slave race that we were originally designed to be. I think we have potencial! Lets just hope some of the bigger kids in the neighborhood dont take notice.
edit on 31-10-2012 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

I was thinking the same thing! Unfortunately, right now it seems like we are more of a cell along the lines of cancer!!

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Clearly mind boggling! Yet insanely interesting. I'd like the raw data in exacts as to what amounts of particles were being detected and now aren't. Will this mean travel outside of our system would be faster? Less magnetic drag? Hmmm I wonder, great post!

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by chrismir

Takes 17 hours to get signals

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Just a little note... at 177 AU's 'astronomical units' , approximatly 7 minutes for light to reach the Earth from the Sun, 177 x 7 minutes divided by 60, gives us in the neighborhood of 14 + hours for the Voyager signal to reach us. And of course, around 14+ hours for any reply signal sent as a command to Voyager from us.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rezlooper
reply to post by chrismir

Takes 17 hours to get signals
You may be closer to the correct # of hours...

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by liejunkie01
We sure don't build them like we used to.

Faster, cheaper, lighter my arse...........

Go get some voyager 1,.

Well, the Mars Rovers Spirit and Opportunity had a nominal mission of only 90 days, but one is still going after more than 8 years.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I once saw a great explanation of the termination shock at the edge of the solar system, equating it to running water in a sink basin (the water in the sink being moving particles of the solar wind). When the solar wind reaches a minimum speed, a shock wave is created between where it has enough energy to propagate and where the speed is insufficient (it does not just "slow down and fade away"). The same thing can be seen in a sink:

The shock arises because solar wind particles are emitted from stars at about 400 km/s, while the speed of sound (in the interstellar medium) is about 100 km/s. (The exact speed depends on the density, which fluctuates considerably.) The interstellar medium, although very low in density, nonetheless has a constant pressure associated with it; the pressure from the solar wind decreases with the square of the distance from the star. As one moves far enough away from the star, the pressure from the interstellar medium becomes sufficient to slow the solar wind down to below its speed of sound; this causes a shock wave.

Other termination shocks can be seen in terrestrial systems; perhaps the easiest may be seen by simply running a water tap into a sink creating a hydraulic jump. Upon hitting the floor of the sink, the flowing water spreads out at a speed that is higher than the local wave speed, forming a disk of shallow, rapidly diverging flow (analogous to the tenuous, supersonic solar wind). Around the periphery of the disk, a shock front or wall of water forms; outside the shock front, the water moves slower than the local wave speed (analogous to the subsonic interstellar medium).

Source: Wikipedia Article on the Heliosphere

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   
This is where the human race find that the super charging of particles at the edge of the Solar System, along with the fluctuating magnetism, is just the right type of environment to source and fuel the type of craft which will move at speeds of which enable us to explore to the universe.

Now all we need to do is build a craft to get to the edge of the Solar System a little quicker than Voyager, instead of directly from Earth in to interstellar space.

Just my outside the box theory, like everyone else’s that is based on the information sent back from the great voyage.

One can only dream.

Regards ET H

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   
If we've always been part of the Milky Way Galaxy our Solar System would be on the same galactic plane as the Milky Way.

And when you look up in the night sky the Milky Way would be East-West. But it's not. We are 90* off of the Galactic plane of the Milky Way.

We are part of the Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy, that crashed into the Milky Way Galaxy. It's exactly 90* off of the Milky Way's galactic plane.

The 'weirdness' that Voyager 1 detected, is because of the ongoing crash going on. Of course the real scientists already know this.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Great thread thanks for posting.
The first thing that comes to my mind is this is amazing!

The second thing that comes to my mind is 2012. Specifically the "2012 Prophecy" or whatever you want to call it. I don't believe doomsday will happen. I believe it will be some kind of awakening. Something amazing. I've been watching technology and space breakthroughs trying to pinpoint something that might propell us into a new age. Supposedly, we are supposed to enter the Age of Aquarius officially on Dec. 21st 2012.

What if voyager entering inter-steller space teaches us something? Or as others have explained catches the eye of another inter-steller race and they come here?

Honestly I'd put my money on nothing happening on Dec 21st 2012. However, I'm really hoping for some sort of amazing breakthrough that just propells us to limitless or near limitless potential. Terence McKenna (Timewave / Novelty theory) himself said this about his Novelty theory -

"What is happening to our world is ingression of novelty toward what Whitehead called "concrescence", a tightening gyre. Everything is flowing together. The "autopoietic lapis", the alchemical stone at the end of time, coalesces when everything flows together. When the laws of physics are obviated, the universe disappears, and what is left is the tightly bound plenum, the monad, able to express itself for itself, rather than only able to cast a shadow into physis as its reflection. I come very close here to classical millenarian and apocalyptic thought in my view of the rate at which change is accelerating. From the way the gyre is tightening, I predict that the concrescence will occur soon—around 2012 AD. It will be the entry of our species into hyperspace, but it will appear to be the end of physical laws accompanied by the release of the mind into the imagination."

I believe he could be right. They Mayan long count also counted the ages - and we are moving into a new age.
As I understand it, there is also some sort of galatic alignment happening on the 21st of Dec. as well.

All of this makes me believe that something wonderful and amazing is going to happen on the 21st of Dec 2012. Not doomsday. I'm excited!
edit on 1-11-2012 by zeeon because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dishonored
To be honest, I could care less what Voyager whatever number has to say. The fact is, we should have colonies on both The Moon and Mars by now. You tell me when President corrupt decides it's time to stop waging war on brown people and starts advancing our species towards our true destiny. Until then, Voyager 1 can go crash into Pluto for all I care.
edit on 1-11-2012 by Dishonored because: (no reason given)

This to a degree. Extremely interesting but it saddens me to think of the wasted potential of the human race. At this point in time anyway

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by DropBeatsNotBombs

There's little doubt that we have the technology to base people on other bodies (e.g. moon, mars), but there's no way government programs can venture in this in our current economic state; hence, the government's transition of responsibility, in that area, to the private sector.

However, I believe that if one of our current missions did make a discovery of a high enough magnitude, such as accessible water, higher complex life forms, evidence of past civilization or intelligent life, then the capable nations of the world would unite in a common goal of funding, research, and implementation of space programs and goals of prominence.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Just love it! Thanks for the heads up on this one!

And just for you (and the rest) - here's the best Voyager mood music for your thread!

I'm really looking forward to hearing more about this! Thank you again.

peace

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   

This is awesome. Thank you for the post. I knew it was getting close but not THAT close. Super intrigued as to what's going to happen, what we'll find, and whether we'll even be able to hear a peep after the bow shock (if Voyager survives.)

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by ~widowmaker~

I apologize if someone has already corrected you on this, but 93 million miles is 1 AU, voyager 1 is 122 AU away.

93 000 000 x 122 = 11 346 000 000 Miles, therefore if it was 93 million miles away it would take ~ 8 minutes to communicate with it. At 11 + Billion miles, it takes about 16 hours.

But yes, impressive nonetheless.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   

VOYAGER 1 DISTANCE FROM EARTH 18,397,923,250 KM 122.98252083 AU DISTANCE FROM THE SUN 18,299,345,323 KM 122.32356809 AU ROUNDTRIP LIGHT TIME FROM THE SUN 34:05:37 (hh:mm:ss)

Nasa

So approximately 17 hours one way.

Also. It's traveling at 17km/s which is 61k km/h.
edit on 1-11-2012 by zorvok because: Didn't want to double post.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Small animation, to illustrate some theories seen in this thread.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Pervius

We are 90* off of the Galactic plane of the Milky Way.

Actually, the solar system is 60º off of the galactic plane.

If we've always been part of the Milky Way Galaxy our Solar System would be on the same galactic plane as the Milky Way.

Just one question.
Why?

Wait, one more. If the solar system is part of Sagittarius Dwarf, why are are we orbiting the center of the Milky Way?
edit on 11/1/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

new topics
top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join