It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Voyager 1 Detects Weirdness At Solar System Edge

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I find it amazing that this craft is still going and reporting back all this data..............what I also find amazing is that I had to replace a light bulb today !!!!!

Wolfie

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
While I was reading I was thinking this: "Nice graphs but what the hell does it mean" just then I scrolled down to "What does this mean"...lol, my question was answered. Nice post OP.
edit on 31-10-2012 by HawkeyeNation because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I believe that this is a reason for the weirdness.....
Its called the Interstellar Cloud or Local Fluff

science.nasa.gov...

"Using data from Voyager, we have discovered a strong magnetic field just outside the solar system," explains lead author Merav Opher, a NASA Heliophysics Guest Investigator from George Mason University. "This magnetic field holds the interstellar cloud together and solves the long-standing puzzle of how it can exist at all."

What can this ribbon of magnetic energy do? What caused it?

Astronomers call the cloud we're running into now the Local Interstellar Cloud or "Local Fluff" for short. It's about 30 light years wide and contains a wispy mixture of hydrogen and helium atoms at a temperature of 6000 C. The existential mystery of the Fluff has to do with its surroundings. About 10 million years ago, a cluster of supernovas exploded nearby, creating a giant bubble of million-degree gas. The Fluff is completely surrounded by this high-pressure supernova exhaust and should be crushed or dispersed by it.

Can it cause climate change on Earth?

The fact that the Fluff is strongly magnetized means that other clouds in the galactic neighborhood could be, too. Eventually, the solar system will run into some of them, and their strong magnetic fields could compress the heliosphere even more than it is compressed now. Additional compression could allow more cosmic rays to reach the inner solar system, possibly affecting terrestrial climate and the ability of astronauts to travel safely through space.

What are we doing to try and understand all the data?
ibex.swri.edu...

October 19, 2012 marks exactly four years since the launch of the IBEX spacecraft. On that same date in 2008, the many in the team and I watched from Dulles, Virginia as IBEX was carried into space by a Pegasus rocket launched from Kwajalein, an atoll in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. It was a tense day, but in the end, everything worked out just fine and IBEX was safely in its initial orbit around Earth. In the last weeks of December, we were elated when IBEX began detecting energetic neutral atoms (ENAs) coming from the boundary of our Solar System. Little did we know that day the amazing discoveries that were in store for us. In October 2009, IBEX’s first science results were released, highlighting the surprising and completely unexpected "IBEX Ribbon," an arc–shaped region in the sky that is producing many more ENAs than was expected. During the past three years, we also have detected neutral atoms from outside our heliosphere as they make their way to Earth’s region of our Solar System, and we have discovered ENAs coming from the surface of our Moon and from regions just outside and inside Earth’s magnetosphere. Most recently, we announced that there is no bow shock for our heliosphere, a complete paradigm shift from what was thought before. To date, scientists have already published 100 papers related to this small but remarkable mission — what an incredible scientific harvest!

There is a lot more information on the websites and I have done other research and find it is quite amazing and scary at the same time. There are many threads on this phenomenon here on ATS if you would like to read more scientific information. This is a subject I wish more people would be interested in!!

Thanks for posting the thread!!

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Snipped quote of the entire OP of the thread.

Voyager 1 Detects Weirdness At Solar System Edge.....Jesus! < INSERT SHOCK HORROR MUSIC HERE >

Hardly...

edit on 31-10-2012 by Just Chris because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-10-2012 by Ahabstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Way Cool!!!

The really neat part is all these scientists are sitting there, almost like you or I, wondering what to make of the data. Obviously, they will put something together but it is great to know there is still more mystery than mundane out there.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

I think it's exiting because it signifies going into unknown territory. This is how we learn and grow, both about the galaxy we live in and ourselves even. They're going out into yet unexplored territory with knowledge and educated guesses and, really, that's about the best anyone can do.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   
If we are living in a simulation how far out would it make sense to extend it? If the operator of this simulation detects that we find the edge of it maybe they will reboot it?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I loved it when the captain on third rock lamented that we were such a backwards race because we had not discovered the superiority of the analog vinyl records, and had only progressed to digital cd's. Which brings us back to V1 doesn’t it have the gold plated records on it playing everything from Chuck Berry to the Beatles? Wonder who will be spinning that platter?

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by nitrobandit
If we are living in a simulation how far out would it make sense to extend it? If the operator of this simulation detects that we find the edge of it maybe they will reboot it?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I think the simulation goes "all the way" as far as we've observed and further. I don't think there is any limit.

We have way more potential than we have reached so far and more than we can imagine. Some day we'll probably pass V1 and wave as we go by.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by djmarcone
Some day we'll probably pass V1 and wave as we go by.

Oh yes we most definitely will

It's an epic journey of discovery and the fact it can still phone home is truly astonishing. Long Live Voyager 1!

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
Greetings, ATS!

So, it seems Voyager 1 is encountering some high strangeness as it prepares to leave the solar system.

Why does the illustration depict Voyager as crossing a "bow shock" as though the heliosphere is travelling against the current?

Aren't the interstellar "wind" and particles coming at our system equally from all directions? Or is there indeed a "bow shock" as depicted because our system is travelling through space in the depicted direction at an incredible speed?
edit on 10/31/2012 by dubiousone because: grammar and spelling

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Can't help but wonder without the gravity well of a nearby star, if voyager's molecules would disintegrate and it dissipate into nothingness?

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

External gravity does not hold things together.
In the case of Voyager, molecular bonds do.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Supposedly high energy particles are flying at us from the center of our galaxy and are coming to kill us all based on this article. If that's the case I suspect Voyager will be destroyed as soon as it leaves the heliosphere. If not then, as I suspect, that post is full of it, but it'll be interesting to see what the results are either way.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Seems as if there's always a reason and a way with nature. Perhaps this phenomenon is there for a purpose. Maybe it is a power source where we thought there would be none that far from the life giving sun. Sadly I probably won't find out in my lifetime, but thought provoking nonetheless.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Josephus
I say it's going to crash into a wall; in the vein of Jim Carrey's boat in The Truman Show. Perhaps this will happen on December 21st.
That could cause a societal shift back here at home.

Youre wrong. Its the Eschaton.

The Eschaton
edit on 31-10-2012 by Mike.Ockizard because: (no reason given)

jra

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlexIR
Strangely enough, V1 does have a camera and it took this iconic picture:

This is the image of the earth as seen from 6 billion kilometers away.

Wonder why they didn't release any more images since then.

Both Voyager 1 and 2 have taken a lot of images of almost all the planets in our Solar system. However, due to there power source getting weaker over time. Many of the instruments, including the camera's have been turned off to help save power.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   
21/12/2012 v-ger returns via stargate and warns, dooomed, we're all doomed. the asgard come to eat us!
edit on 31-10-2012 by weemadalex because: spelling

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

I'd love for her to come home. I'd give her a big old hug

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Topics like this are SOOOO much more interesting than politics!

Thanks....but, more, more....

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join