It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists offer quantum theory of soul's existence

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Welp, watched the video. Seems like a pretty big stretch to me. Hard to even call it science imo, even though I know it is. Point is, they came up with a wild idea, then put the burden of proof on others (in the video they say something like "no one's debunked it yet..."). I mean I can tell you we're all children of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. I'll be awaiting your debunkal!

It's a neat 'theory', but it's basically finding something new you don't yet understand (these tubules) and creating an imaginative wild story for them.

I've also wondered how birds can turn on a dime in groups as well, but have chalked it up to super-fast processing/specialized senses/etc. we aren't capable of/don't have. They are saying quantum physics is involved. Has this been proven, or are we just speaking wildly again!?

I would love for some thing like this to be discovered in 2012 that really would be as huge as this -- I desire truth however, not just fantastical ideas.
edit on 11/2/2012 by AkumaStreak because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix
This article has Nothing to do with the SOUL. It only has to do with Consciousness. If they believe the soul resides in brain cells then that soul Must die as the brain dies. Thats not the same as a soul. These guys ate just using that term to sensationalize their findings.

This is very misleading and harmful to many peoples beliefs world wide. If people believe their immortal eternal soul is simply going to die with the consciousness because of these scientists, then they (the scientists) are actually denying the existence of the soul as we think of it. These would be Anti Soul scientists working for an agenda to wipe out all religion.

They would have to theorize these microtubules live on after the brain dies and continue to contain consciousness. Their theory doesn't touch this aspect.
edit on 31-10-2012 by JohnPhoenix because: sp

It doesnt matter what word you give it; as words are irrelevant to consciousness.. words only work with the human being put it that way..

Consciousness = awareness

Soul/Spirit = Conscious Entity = an Entity that is aware of itself regardless of its physical (or not) vessel (in our case human bodies)

So its the same thing to some; language is limited in meaning..thus making it hard to describe certain concepts or other things. Emotions and images (telepathy) is the best means of communication.

As for the "soul living in the brain cells" .. its not that at all; your soul lives in your nervous system. This electricty that is always flowing through your human body, allowing you to operate and control it, is YOU, your spirit consciousness. The electricity in our bodies, is the manifestation of the spirit having control over the vessel.

I know most people who fall into science, want to keeep things scientific (bias) but the spirit consciousness does not label and judge. Words are words.. cheap tricks to conform to perception of.

How do we describe what we dont understand, with a language that is limited? The higher consciousness (awareness that is not contained in a physical body, dream/astral awareness etc..) does not bother with words and rationality; it just observes and experiences.. its YOUR human mind that wants to label, judge, conform, and make everything a precise way.

Something for "scientists" to think about

edit on 3-11-2012 by LoveisanArt because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tryptych
The fact that "soul" is actually matter doesn't give life any less value IMHO. And the fact that brain could be understood as a biological computer doesn't either. Also, these ideas are anything but new; people like Timothy Leary promoted the idea in the 60's and 70's, but he is still widely overlook because of his status.

The "eight circuit model" is the future of psychology and the study of consciousness. And that's just one way of representing it. IMHO it's anything but complete.

Peace out.

Star for anyone who understands and respects Leary

He is still ahead of the times to this day. The time will soon come that a variety of our social taboos will fall down, and then we will begin to appreciate the work of guys like Leary at a much wider scale...incredibly brilliant, just not yet widely recognized.

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by happykat39
I find it interesting that this should come out now since I just wrote a short piece on the same subject for my own web site about a week ago and put it up on my site on 10/24/2012.

Link to the full article

I recently came across an article on the psychic connection that has been shown to exist between identical twins. The article was in Issue#11 of Edge Science and was titled “The Twin Thing”. Here are two relevant excerpts from the article along with their research source notes. (the two excerpts are at the link to the full article)

Since the connection has been proven this started me thinking about how such a weak electrical signal as a brain wave could possibly have any influence beyond a few feet, never mind across a continent. The only thing that I could think of was the phenomenon known as quantum entanglement. Albert Einstein described it as “spooky action at a distance”. Quantum entanglement is a connection between two subatomic particles such as photons, which were created from the same event, which allows one of the particles to react to a state change in the other instantaneously over any distance. This seems to violate the universal speed limit of the speed of light.

I posted something like this many years ago under my old ats login name... Amazingly, years later I see people posting or claiming to be the first to think of this lol.... except I did not refer to twins like many have, but to the multiverse of alternative realities, many worlds or Everett interpretation, the mind communicating and receiving through quantum effects etc.

I remember one post I made about this subject long ago, and the next I know it's being talked about on C2C... It's all comic-book theory anyway, until it can be proven..... We will never know who was the first to think of the brain having quantum effects, and it really doesn't matter unless you can cash in on it...many have already.

Lot of new age con-artist claim to be the first in the quantum field, they will sell you a thousand dollar answer that can be found here on ATS for free.

edit on 3-11-2012 by imitator because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Microtubes are still several scales of magnitude to large to be entangled with any sort of quantum effect.
There would need to be an interface between actual entanglement, and the physical coherence, which hasn't been discovered yet. I would almost think that mechanism would be defined as the "soul", undetectable, or nearly so, being able to witness the effects, but not positively quantify it.

C'mon science, you can do it. Just not today.

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by AkumaStreak
Welp, watched the video. Seems like a pretty big stretch to me. Hard to even call it science imo, even though I know it is. Point is, they came up with a wild idea, then put the burden of proof on others (in the video they say something like "no one's debunked it yet..."). I mean I can tell you we're all children of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. I'll be awaiting your debunkal!

The "flying spaghetti monster" analogy is a redundant, shallow minded cop-out. People use it to compare to anything that offers an explanation for consciousness, the soul/spirit, an afterlife; basically anything that's not yet mainstream empirical science.

If you've watched multiple videos & the papers, which go very in-depth into the explanation for this theory, you'd know that to compare it to magic and mythology is nonsense. This theory is somewhat viable & offers the information necessary to entertain it without having to resort to esoterica, or typical faith-based dogma.

Saying that it's akin to the "flying spaghetti monster" is intellectually insulting.... so please, keep it to yourself.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raelsatu

Originally posted by AkumaStreak

The "flying spaghetti monster" analogy is a redundant, shallow minded cop-out. People use it to compare to anything that offers an explanation for consciousness, the soul/spirit, an afterlife; basically anything that's not yet mainstream empirical science.

If you've watched multiple videos & the papers, which go very in-depth into the explanation for this theory, you'd know that to compare it to magic and mythology is nonsense. This theory is somewhat viable & offers the information necessary to entertain it without having to resort to esoterica, or typical faith-based dogma.

Saying that it's akin to the "flying spaghetti monster" is intellectually insulting.... so please, keep it to yourself.

How about instead of giving me a talking to you point me to more of this scientific literature? Because the video I saw that supposedly covered it was devoid of most anything that would hold up in the scientific community.
edit on 11/4/2012 by AkumaStreak because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Are we talking about the microtubules present in every eucariotic cell (almost always absent in procariotic cells)?

Those supposed to help in gene seggregation?

According to that theory minerals have no souls for those wondering :p , they are not cells hence no microtubules.

Sorry for being skeptic about this, but what the article presents is so supperficial it's not funny. How do they know it is the microtubules? A cell has so many organules, i could just go and say the soul is stored in the nucleus, because... why the hell not? DNA has simply every single code for every single protein that will make us these perfect beings we are, then i could post an article about that and someone would post it here and the topic would be flagged a lot lol

Not trying to flame or anything, saying what I know about microtubules, it is well known they are "responsible" for genetic cross-over in meiosis(though science currently considers it being as a random factor and the microtubules simply helping in cromatides segregation, if it is proven there is an intelligence behind microtubules, making this not so random anymore, maybe it would make some sense).

But then again it would only make sense when an ovule is fertilized (meiosis), and though microtubules also help in mitosis, there is no real change in genes there since it is mere replication.

There isn't much else to be known about microtubules, not anything else that has been perceived that is.

Now theorizing a bit:
That would make them responsible for many genetic diseases known that are caused by a failed segregation (like the well known trisomy of the 21 aka Down Syndrome for example), so does that mean our "souls" makes us fail on purpose giving us these diseases (some that are even lethal at birth)?

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheJourney

Star for anyone who understands and respects Leary

He is still ahead of the times to this day. The time will soon come that a variety of our social taboos will fall down, and then we will begin to appreciate the work of guys like Leary at a much wider scale...incredibly brilliant, just not yet widely recognized.

Of course it will be recognized. You know why? Because it's the truth. Also certain "mystic" teachings will also be understood and verified by science. The scientific community should also understand that these teachings are allegories. The world is now saturated with narcissistic materialism, with people with no imagination (or their potentiality blocked) and with no spiritual insight. We need to get rid of that and start to be creative and brave again.

Before that, humans cannot be truly happy and in balance.
edit on 7/11/2012 by Tryptych because: (no reason given)

edit on 7/11/2012 by Tryptych because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Great thread!!

Here's a video explaining this even more. I have been a fan of this theory for years.

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join