It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

[~How To Hunt a Witch~]

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by NavyDoc

Well, everybody knows that gingers have no souls. Just ask Cartman.
Think your
funny saying that do you i guess my son hasn't a soul too

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Get your facts right.

A soul is actually body + spirit.

Are you a stupid 'hit-n-run' troll ?

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Doesn't matter whether you were ginger, opinionated, young, old, looked at your neighbours husband once - you still got it. Main thing though betwixt the hysteria is that it was one massive big land and money grab, jealousy and greed.
edit on 31-10-2012 by Suspiria because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Suspiria

Now be fair, they employed the ducking stool - state of the art technology. The science said they were witches.

What? Unfair? Well so was causing Mrs Miggins cow to get a lame foot by looking at her funny. Now come here whilst i intimately body search you for signs of the devil..........

Seriously though, makes me glad i wasn't around as a lady at the time. For all the usual suspects, i suspect their were also people like extremely attractive ladies that wouldn't sleep with the neighbour / lord, etc, landladies that wouldn't give the regulars a couple on the house, etc, etc.

Plus, you have to remember, there were rewards offered and doled out for witches. Probably quite tempting at the time of debtors prisons and the like.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian
reply to post by Suspiria

Now be fair, they employed the ducking stool - state of the art technology. The science said they were witches.

What? Unfair? Well so was causing Mrs Miggins cow to get a lame foot by looking at her funny. Now come here whilst i intimately body search you for signs of the devil..........

Seriously though, makes me glad i wasn't around as a lady at the time. For all the usual suspects, i suspect their were also people like extremely attractive ladies that wouldn't sleep with the neighbour / lord, etc, landladies that wouldn't give the regulars a couple on the house, etc, etc.

Plus, you have to remember, there were rewards offered and doled out for witches. Probably quite tempting at the time of debtors prisons and the like.

True fact, it was bound to be the case.
I'd be screwed which ever way, I've got the scaramanga gene.

Last time I went past a bridge with the presence of the ducking mechanism still present (you know, the bit where they shoved the wood between the stone to lower you in) I felt compelled to do the evil eye hand gesture. Got a few funny looks more than normal in Norwich that day...

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by TheSparrowSings

You might also be interested in the Malleus Malificarum (no idea if I spelled that right). Also known as the Witch's Hammer, it was a witch hunting guide used in Europe during the time.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Ahh yes. Killing that which you do not understand.....Just as Jesus would have done..

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Another poster mentioned the Mallefircarem, I am sure that this texts pre-dates that one, given this manuscript is said to have been penned in 1460's and as far as I know, has no current translations.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheSparrowSings
reply to post by smyleegrl

Another poster mentioned the Mallefircarem, I am sure that this texts pre-dates that one, given this manuscript is said to have been penned in 1460's and as far as I know, has no current translations.

I'm sure it's earlier. Will be very interesting to see how the two compare!

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Now all I have to do is get a few children (We can use my 3 year old, and my friend's 6 year old) and have them point you all out in a crowd and claim they saw you all speaking with the devil. Then you'd all be in trouble. lol.

I wanted to stay up last night and participate in this thread more but had to go to sleep, it was 3 am at the time. Thankyou everyone for participating. Many of the tools that they used to define "witches" during the time period are completely absurd. Its hard for a logical mind from this time frame to even believe that people would follow these rules. But that is always a problem throughout history, authority dictates rules and people obey, because authority dictated it.

ETA. As I was typing this my source from the library at the U of A called me back. She was not aware of this revelation and is now going to look further into it for me as well. The University of Alberta website is down, unfortunately, so I am at a standstill currently but believe me, ATS'ers, I have known this source of mine for my entire life and she is a research-a-holic. I will post more on the manuscript as soon as the information becomes available to me.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   

i am hunting wabbits - its less messy

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by denver22

If you had redhair you would be screwed as your a witch if you like it or not..

If you had red hair during the Spanish Inquisition, you were accused of having stolen the fires of hell, then quickly burned as a witch

During 16th and 17th century witch-hunts in England, many redheads were stripped to look for marks of a witch. Marks of a witch included moles, scares, or freckles. This made the lifespan for a redhead in England during this time very, very short.

Pretty crazy stuff ...

edit on 31-10-2012 by denver22 because: (no reason given)

We have no soul....but we gain a freckle for every one we steal...

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by AccessDenied

Lol. nice one.

Star for that one. No wonder everyone fears witches.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by AccessDenied

Ohh nice one sister .

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
To all you folks who think there's an invisible man who lives in the sky who watches everything you do, be aware that when your book says "Suffer not a witch to live", it's a mistranslation. (Yes, I know, the idea that JAYSUS didn't speak English is shocking to some, but it's TRUE! Go figure.) The original passage was "Suffer not a caster of curses to live". There were several different words that referred to people who used magic, and the injunction was ONLY against those who did evil things with it.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
- How do you know she is a witch?

- She turned me into a newt.

- A newt?

- I got better.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   

The original passage was "Suffer not a caster of curses to live".

Still buggered then, casted a few curses this morning when I stubbed my toe on the door.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by NavyDoc

I may have no soul but at least i 'have a heart' doc. let's go have a quiet drink somewhere
just you and me.. it will be fun ..

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Before you can "Hunt a witch", you need to have some idea where there is one. That is a witch is "denounced" (the finger pointing thing). For no other reason, someone extends their arm levels a finger in somebody's direction, wags it and hisses, "Wiiitch, wiiiiiitch.... burrrrrn her... shes a witch!"

Then this book is used to determine through various means wether or not the accusation is true. I'm not even getting into that.

Today, there is a close comparison in this country. We hunt "terrorists" and they are interrogated in places like Guantanamo. That would also be a witch hunt of sorts. Any one have a copy of that manual?

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Not much has changed, but today the term is "Domestic Terrorist." Same witch hunt, same result, just different political motivation. Or maybe not, I suppose that hasn't even changed all that much.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join