It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

[~How To Hunt a Witch~]

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 02:47 AM
link   

EDMONTON - A rare medieval manuscript on how to recognize, question, torture and burn witches is being resurrected at the University of Alberta. It's one of only four copies in the world, with the other three housed in libraries in France, Brussels, and Oxford.

I have taken most of the important quotes from the article but for those who wish to view the source please see below:
Rare Witch Hunting Manual Revealed at University of Alberta

History Professor Andrew Gow, along with his grad student, Francois Pageau, hope to release the contents of the manual to the public once they have finished its translation. (medieval French to English)

Professor Andrew Gow, who came across the originally miscatalogued book and is now working on translating it from medieval French to English, describes the content as "atrocious."

"It wasn't until books like this appeared and spread the idea that witchcraft is actually a form of Satan worship, a form of service to the devil, that witchcraft becomes a capital crime."

For those who do not know, Wikipedia describes the classical period of witch-hunts in Europe and North America to have occurred from 1480 to 1750 resulting in an estimated 40,000 to 60,000 executions.

According to the article, and personal sources I know at the University of Alberta, this manuscript dates back to a time before the "state-sponsored" witch hunts. Written in 1460, it is not only a window into the minds of those responsible for this disturbing period in history but

Gow also considers the text to be a priceless cultural artifact that holds great insight into the history of Europe. In addition to changing the way witchcraft was looked at in medieval Europe, the work may also be responsible for a common image we associate with witches: them riding on brooms.

I, for one, am very interested in seeing the results of this translation. To have the insight into the earliest known propaganda behind the idea of "witches" is exciting to me. I remember that I was a young teenager the very first time I heard about the witch hunts, I had just read The Crucible for a school project, and found myself completely blown away by the story. Not even aware at the time that the reality was so much worse than could ever be depicted in a fiction novel. In addition to guidelines set to determine what classifies someone as a "witch" the manuscript contains records of trials and appeals. I would be interested in seeing if any of my ancestors made it in there. I am pretty sure if these guidelines still existed today I would have been burned at the stake a LONG time ago.

The fact that this manual is locked up, merely a 15 minute drive from where I live, makes this even more exciting for me. There may be a chance I might actually get to see it (through glass, I would assume) but how often does somebody get a chance to do so.

And mods, if you feel that this should be moved to a more appropriate forum, please do so. I realize that a manuscript from the 1400's does not qualify as ancient but couldn't think of another place to post something that is rare and medieval.

Edit: Just realized what time it is. Happy Halloween Everyone. Way to kick it off, medieval style.

edit on 31/10/2012 by TheSparrowSings because: time

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 03:03 AM
link   
I'm going to need this on PDF A.S.A.P.!! Star and Flag. I would love to see their version of how they would question a witch. I'm no sadist but I would also like to read up on their torture methods.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 03:06 AM
link   
It may be ancient history to us here in the west, but witch hunts are still taking place today in parts of africa and the middle east.

A Saudi man has been beheaded on charges of sorcery and witchcraft, the state news agency SPA says.
www.bbc.co.uk...

Bleg fled to Gnani, one of northern Ghana’s “witch” camps, where many of the more than 900 accused people tell a similar tale. Like Bleg, they’ve been tried, Salem style, their fates sealed by testimony offered by neighbors and relatives, their guilt or innocence determined by a priest.
www.thedailybeast.com...

edit on 31-10-2012 by Atzil321 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 03:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Allegorical

I am not sure how long it will take them to actually translate the entire manuscript. I do know someone who works in the library at the U of A. I am going to ask her in the morning if she has heard anything about this and how I can learn more. I really want to take the opportunity, if it is given to me, find out as much as possible about the progress of the translation. And tidbits would be REAL nice *lol*

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 03:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Atzil321

Yes, I know, and I don't want to take this thread that direction. I have seen videos that are severely bothersome and make me feel sick just thinking about it. What compels another human being to do these things? It is utterly barbaric that some people allow their belief to commit these disturbing actions. But, let us leave it at that.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 03:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheSparrowSings
reply to post by Atzil321

Yes, I know, and I don't want to take this thread that direction. I have seen videos that are severely bothersome and make me feel sick just thinking about it. What compels another human being to do these things? It is utterly barbaric that some people allow their belief to commit these disturbing actions. But, let us leave it at that.

Very bothersome indeed when someone says back then i think it may rain later and if it did
you would be classed as a witch..Very sad state of affairs to be burned for such things..

Complete paranoia ..

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 03:33 AM
link   
reply to post by TheSparrowSings

If you had redhair you would be screwed as your a witch if you like it or not..

If you had red hair during the Spanish Inquisition, you were accused of having stolen the fires of hell, then quickly burned as a witch

During 16th and 17th century witch-hunts in England, many redheads were stripped to look for marks of a witch. Marks of a witch included moles, scares, or freckles. This made the lifespan for a redhead in England during this time very, very short.

Pretty crazy stuff ...

edit on 31-10-2012 by denver22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Thanks op good thread and for anyone who has not seen the film the crucible i recommend
a view of it and also the book too.

In this clip you will find more info on mass hysteria and shamefull wrong doings bullying etc.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Just think, yesterdays Witches are todays Conspiracy Theorists.

If a person doesn't fit into the norm, they are sent to a new world FEMA camp.

Can you imagine the stupid looks on the witch hunters faces when they all end up in hell with blood on their hands for disobeying the commandment 'Thou shalt not kill'

edit on 31-10-2012 by Rapha because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 04:26 AM
link   
Social paranoia from puritans in the salem village explained.

Salem In 1692, Salem Village (now Danvers, Massachusetts) was the scene of a moral panic that spread throughout the region and involved witchcraft accusations which led to trials, torture, imprisonment, and executions. Others died in jail or during torture. At least twenty residents lost their lives. Social paranoia was such that two dogs were even accused and executed! All convictions were based on ambiguous evidence. The witch mania began in December 1691, when eight girls living in the vicinity of Salem exhibited strange behaviors including disordered speech, convulsive movements, and bizarre conduct. Explanations for the “fits” range from outright fakery to hysteria to ergot poisoning of the food supply. By February 1692, the affected girls had accused two elderly women and a servant from Barbados named Tibula of being witches, and they were arrested. Soon hundreds of residents were accused of witchcraft, and trials were held. In May 1693, the episode ended when Governor Phips ordered that all suspects be released (Nevins 1916; Caporael 1976; Karlsen 1989).

Dogs accused of witchcraft

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 05:34 AM
link   
Well, I would be staked and baked...
Red hair, conspiracy theorist, and naturopathic medicine.
I find it disgusting that they condemned women who gathered cures for ails from nature as GOD intended, and made the act demonic. If everything in nature was not intended for our use to survive here, than what is it's purpose?
Probably would have had my tongue cut off for asking such a blasphemous question...

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by AccessDenied
I find it disgusting that they condemned women who gathered cures for ails from nature as GOD intended, and made the act demonic. If everything in nature was not intended for our use to survive here, than what is it's purpose?
Probably would have had my tongue cut off for asking such a blasphemous question...

I agree tottally it was disgusting i am appauled by it all being one myself i wouldn't of stood a chance.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 05:41 AM
link   

Brilliant spot, S & F.

Just a slight point though, witches (and sorceresses, seers, etc) have been known of for many thousands of years in pretty much every location around the planet that humans live in. They have been written about by various cultures over the millenia.

Still, this is highly interesting as it will give an insight into the disturbed thinking of the time. I will be eagerly waiting for further info as it develops.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 06:19 AM
link   
This book sounds like it might be a French version of the Malleus Maleficarum. Better known to us as the "Hammer of the Witches"...

The Malleus Maleficarum (meaning "Hammer of the Witches" in Latin; "Der Hexenhammer" in German) is a treatise on the prosecution of witches, written in 1486 by Heinrich Kramer, a German Catholic clergyman. The book was first published in Speyer, Germany in 1487. Jacob Sprenger is also often attributed as an author, but some scholars now believe that he became associated with the Malleus Maleficarum largely as a result of Kramer's wish to lend his book as much official authority as possible.
The main purpose of the Malleus was to attempt to systematically refute arguments claiming that witchcraft does not exist, discredit those who expressed skepticism about its reality, to claim that witches were more often women than men, and to educate magistrates on the procedures that could find them out and convict them.

Source

Funny how a religion that finds humans inherently evil, and in need of redemption, is itself responsible for some of the most hideous and heinous acts ever recorded in history.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified
This book sounds like it might be a French version of the Malleus Maleficarum. Better known to us as the "Hammer of the Witches"...

The Malleus Maleficarum (meaning "Hammer of the Witches" in Latin; "Der Hexenhammer" in German) is a treatise on the prosecution of witches, written in 1486 by Heinrich Kramer, a German Catholic clergyman. The book was first published in Speyer, Germany in 1487. Jacob Sprenger is also often attributed as an author, but some scholars now believe that he became associated with the Malleus Maleficarum largely as a result of Kramer's wish to lend his book as much official authority as possible.
The main purpose of the Malleus was to attempt to systematically refute arguments claiming that witchcraft does not exist, discredit those who expressed skepticism about its reality, to claim that witches were more often women than men, and to educate magistrates on the procedures that could find them out and convict them.

Source

Funny how a religion that finds humans inherently evil, and in need of redemption, is itself responsible for some of the most hideous and heinous acts ever recorded in history.

Yes, what does it say again in the bible and versed in the ten commandments etc
ahh that's it .... (THOU SHALT NOT KILL)

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by denver22

If you had redhair you would be screwed as your a witch if you like it or not..

If you had red hair during the Spanish Inquisition, you were accused of having stolen the fires of hell, then quickly burned as a witch

During 16th and 17th century witch-hunts in England, many redheads were stripped to look for marks of a witch. Marks of a witch included moles, scares, or freckles. This made the lifespan for a redhead in England during this time very, very short.

Pretty crazy stuff ...

Well, everybody knows that gingers have no souls. Just ask Cartman.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by AccessDenied

Logic...you have it. If one believes in God, then one would also believe that medicines would have been part of nature's bounty that God placed on the earth for his people.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Spot a witch? Simple..The hair proves it! (Cheap Blackadder quote)

Seriously though I do fancy getting my hands on a translated copy of the Malleus Maleficarum (Hammer of the Witches). Spotted one on the internet once, went for a bit more than I was willing to pay though. Oh well another day....Oh hey up now, The Book Depository has them going for £8.35...Wayhey!!!

edit on 31-10-2012 by Suspiria because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Suspiria

How to hunt a witch?

Post this as a thread and voila...........hooked you in hasn't it?
I guess that is one to the OP!
(sorry Suspiria, couldn't resist).

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian
reply to post by Suspiria

How to hunt a witch?

Post this as a thread and voila...........hooked you in hasn't it?
I guess that is one to the OP!
(sorry Suspiria, couldn't resist).

It's a fair cop guv.....

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join