It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LOUD Booms and Shaking Homes. Extremely Bright Fireball In The Sky!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
ALABAMAWX

Social media lit up like a Christmas tree around 5:30 this evening as thousands across North and Central Alabama saw an extremely bright fireball rolling through the southern sky. Then, loud explosive type “booms” were heard… mostly around Smith Lake and adjacent areas.

This just happened this evening so I am still researching and trying to find some pictures and or videos of the event. Why doesn't this stuff ever happen in Indiana??

Here is James Spann's FB. He has tons of comments from Alabama residents.
JAMES SPANN

"Saw the rainbow, two of them....."

"Heard it the boom and felt the house shake in Curry. Walker County"

"I saw a short rainbow about 5. It was strait. My dad was like "that's weird,a rainbow but no rain,wth?" I told my dad to never question logic.. Lol."

"I saw a short, straight rainbow at 5:30"

"Thought something hit the house ,my dog started barking like crazy !"

"My 5 year old son said he saw something falling from the sky! I thought he was telling a story, apparently NOT!!!!!!!"

"Our kids seen it outside. Come in screaming scared and excited. We felt in inside shook the house. Smith Lake-Brushy Pond."

"In my backyard in Samantha!!"

"I did ... it was stupendous. It looked like it was a block away from me"

"That was something!!!!!!!!!BOOM!!!!!!!"

"Good Hope, Cullman County.....very loud explosion sound. We all ran to see what had hit nearby Heard it and felt it in Hanceville; I figured it was my "fun loving" neighbor blowing some dynamite."

"Heard it the boom and felt the house shake in Curry. Walker County"

Another news article
METEOR SIGHTING

This website displays fireball data in the form of images, movies, diagrams, and text files.

NASA FIREBALL NETWORK

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Very interesting, thanks for posting. A "rainbow" followed by an explosion, I can't think of anything like that, though perhaps others might...

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by innervision0730

I'm getting the idea that it was a meteorite caused sonic boom? as a apposed to a plane crash?

I'll wait and see
edit on 30-10-2012 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   

I'm not sure if this is it but the info says it happened in the morning today. Now it's the same locations and same day so the timing might be an error on his part. You can tell how loud the boom was because the car alarm goes off afterwards.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
The first of many mass human transporters leaving the atmosphere.
We have 51 days left before full tilt.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
The Great Weather War
Has begun

Unleash that HAARP-Craken

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
It sounded like it hit right behind my house!!! it was awesome... although we did not know what it was at first... I noticed the rainbow on my way in from work.... that was something to see by itself then when you add the sonic boom.... too cool..... i just wonder where it actually ended up hitting????? I am in Hayden Alabama!!!

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Okay. So that's, like, the third one to go boom this month? Louisiana, Bay Area, and now THIS? Anyone else getting a hinky feeling?

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   
This story sounds eerily similar to the Louisiana explosions and fireballs that ATS member "Loam" posted on the 16th of this month.

That thread is still ongoing

Is it part of the Orionids meteor shower predicted to occur and end at the end of this month?

The waxing crescent moon sets before midnight on October 20, and that means a dark sky between midnight and dawn, or during the best viewing hours for the 2012 Orionid meteors. On a dark, moonless night, the Orionids exhibit a maximum of about 25 meteors per hour.

These fast-moving meteors occasionally leave persistent trains and bright fireballs. If you trace these meteors backward, they seem to come from the Club of the famous constellation Orion the Hunter. You might know Orion’s bright, ruddy star Betelgeuse. The radiant is north of Betelgeuse. The Orionids have a broad and irregular peak that isn’t easy to predict.

More meteors tend to fly after midnight, and the Orionids are typically at their best in the wee hours before dawn. The best viewing for the Orionids in 2012 will probably be before dawn on October 21. Try the days before and after that, too, sticking to the midnight-to-dawn hours..earthsky.org...

The Rainbow colours could be the Taurid meteors or "Halloween Fireballs" also predicted to occur.....

The Taurid meteors, sometimes called the "Halloween fireballs," show up each year between mid-October and mid-November, but Nov. 5 to 12 will likely be the best time to look for them this year, based on their peak of activity and the effect of moonlight on viewing conditions. Initially, on Nov. 5 the moon will be very bright in the gibbous phase, but it will diminish in brightness with each passing night. Before the moon rises — around 10:30 p.m. on Nov. 5, and about 55 minutes later on subsequent nights — some 10 to 15 meteors may appear per hour. They are often yellowish-orange and, as meteors go, appear to move rather slowly.www.space.com...

The explosion is the strange part!

S&F...............I'll be keeping a close eye on this.
edit on 30-10-2012 by Sublimecraft because: added more links

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by bmck12

You are so lucky to experience that! It's definitely rare. Sadly, I still haven't had that opportunity yet

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by sepermeru

Yeah I agree, the rainbow descriptions are rather intriguing.

What causes rainbows?

Rainbows are caused by the splitting of white sunlight into its component colors by raindrops. Some of the light that falls on a water drop enters the drop. As it enters the drop, the color components of the sunlight are refracted (bent) by different amounts depending upon their wavelength (we perceive the different wavelengths as different colors.)

Then, the different colors reflect off the back of the inside of the drop, and when they pass through the front of the drop again, they are refracted once again.

A rainbow is always directly opposite the sun from the observer's perspective. This explains why rainbows are only seen when the sun is low in the sky, usually in the late afternoon (in which case the rainbow will be seen to the east of the observer), or early morning (in which case the rainbow will appear to the west of the observer).

If the observer could see the shadow of his head cast by the sun, it would be in the exact center of a circle where the rainbow forms the top portion of that circle.

Source

So I looked for horizontal rainbow and found this posted on AmericanDigest.org

In that article they have classified the above as a...

A circumhorizontal arc or circumhorizon arc (CHA), also known as a fire rainbow

to add...

It occurs only when the sun is high in the sky, at least 58° above the horizon, and can only occur in the presences of cirrus clouds. It can thus not be observed at locations north of 55°N, except occasionally from mountains.

Which by the descriptions, was the only thing I could find that is relevant to a "straight rainbow". Quite intriguing as I have never heard of a meteor having this characteristic upon entry to the atmosphere.
edit on 10/30/2012 by UberL33t because: tags

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by PamelaBritton2U

I just know that this year has been extremely crazy with all kinds of mysterious and rare events happening. I know people say it's because we are able to communicate etc but we have been able to do that for some time now.

Here is a good video that shows you what I mean

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   
ok it was not part of the teuroid meteor shower... according to NASA in Huntsville this was a meteorite that broke our atmosphere and produced a very loud sonic boom... they are estimating that it was the size of a nice boulder and streaked around 30 miles above the earth... thus the large number of sightings... They said they are having problems finding where is actually hit the earth.... I still say my backyard... I am so stoked about this... Nothing ever happens here in the woods.....
Yes the rainbow was something: there was no arc whatsoever it was just straight up and down.... I just kept looking at it since it was right in front of me on my drive home...

edit on 30-10-2012 by bmck12 because: add information

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Sublimecraft

Here is what I have found on this particular meteor....
www.alabamawx.com...

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by innervision0730

I hear ya, Indiana is so boring, all we ever get are the Komomo lights. Never any good UFO sightings or anything exciting like, "fireballs" in the sky, weird noiseseminating from the sky, or loud rumblings from the ground.

I just have to get on ATS to read about all the cool stuff everywhere else.

Plainfiled/Indianapolis, its such a boring place to live most of the time.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by inverslyproportional

At least we have ghosts... even though everywhere else does too lol Indianapolis is ok, some fun things to do. I live an hour north of there. I'm going to school for Aerospace and Astrophysics and of course always staring up at the stars (my passion) hoping to one day see a UFO, asteroid or something... nope. Why would a doomtard, UFO enthusiast, space nut nerd like me get that chance in life

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Is it plainfiled or plainfield. Not sure which sounds more boring.
Doesn't matter just joking around. You wouldn't have to go very far for some dark skies, try it around the peak of a meteor shower, with a clear sky and you will see a fireball. Any clear night with some patience and maybe a pair of binoculars you are sure to find something fascinating to see.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   
its meteor com acrros our atmosphere with supersonic speed and boom.....
blog.al.com...

About rainboy in daylight,5 rainbow thats the mistery

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by iforget

I grew up out in the sticks, out in Cloverdale. About 40 miles from any city, we could always see the glow of Indy in the sky out west, but I got to spend my first 28 years star gazing, saw all kinds of meteor showers while night fishing on Cagles mill( Cataract) lake.

It is "Plainfield" it is exactly as exciting as the name implies, though it is hard to see the night sky from the "glow" from Indy.

Op, have you everf seen the "Kokomo lights"? I saw them on the net, but never IRL.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   

No... I think I missed that?
Never heard of it honestly. People are like zombies here,

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join