Governor Christy Praises President Obama

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   
In superstorm Sandy, Gov. Chris Christie praises Obama's crisis leadership

In comments that perfectly encapsulated not only the severity of the storm but the divisiveness of our national politics and the bluntness of the speaker, New Jersey governor Chris Christie—primetime GOP convention speaker and frequent campaign surrogate for Mitt Romney—heaped praise on Obama’s initial reaction to the storm.

Christie told news outlets that the president’s response had been “outstanding,” said that coordinating with the administration had been “wonderful,” and remarked that “the president has been all over this and he deserves great credit.”

He even told Fox News the president had done a “great job for New Jersey” while staying above the fray about politics: “I’ve got a job to do here in New Jersey that’s much bigger than presidential politics, and I could care less about any of that stuff.

Gov. Christie Praises President Obama

One of Mitt Romney's biggest supporters, New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, had nothing but praise for President Barack Obama today, as his state prepares to rebuild from the damage caused by Hurricane Sandy.

"I have to say, the administration, the president, himself and FEMA Administrator Craig Fugate have been outstanding with us so far," Christie said on Good Morning America. "We have a great partnership with them."

Christie told ABC's George Stephanopoulos that Obama called him on Monday night around midnight to ask if there was anything else the federal government could do to help. Christie added that they worked together to move forward with a Major Disaster Declaration for New Jersey.

edit on 30-10-2012 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Nice to see some civility.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Wonder if he now understands a tiny ineffective fed would be bad. These people want to all but abolish FEMA...so, its good when they have opportunity to understand why such organizations exist.

KING: What else, Governor Romney? You've been a chief executive of a state. I was just in Joplin, Missouri. I've been in Mississippi and Louisiana and Tennessee and other communities dealing with whether it's the tornadoes, the flooding, and worse. FEMA is about to run out of money, and there are some people who say do it on a case-by-case basis and some people who say, you know, maybe we're learning a lesson here that the states should take on more of this role. How do you deal with something like that?

ROMNEY: Absolutely. Every time you have an occasion to take something from the federal government and send it back to the states, that's the right direction. And if you can go even further and send it back to the private sector, that's even better.

Instead of thinking in the federal budget, what we should cut -- we should ask ourselves the opposite question. What should we keep? We should take all of what we're doing at the federal level and say, what are the things we're doing that we don't have to do? And those things we've got to stop doing, because we're borrowing $1.6 trillion more this year than we're taking in. We cannot...

KING: Including disaster relief, though?

ROMNEY: We cannot -- we cannot afford to do those things without jeopardizing the future for our kids. It is simply immoral, in my view, for us to continue to rack up larger and larger debts and pass them on to our kids, knowing full well that we'll all be dead and gone before it's paid off. It makes no sense at all.

Currently sitting in the southern US, I see such talk as life threatening...so, in a way, I am glad this storm went up north and slammed them for awhile. Let them understand that disasters aren't something you can simply ignore.

Well done Chris. now, lead your party verses lock step with the radicals once this is over.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Call me cynical, but I wonder if the POTUS support would have been as stellar in, say, 2009. If I were one of Obama's campaign advisors, I would have warned him about being under a comparative microscope and told him that nothing less than a perfect response to the situation would suffice. "Don't give the Romney camp anything to criticize."

Campaign issues aside, Christie's straightforward style is refreshing.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Well, my respect for Christie rose a couple notches. I wouldn't have expected him to come out bashing the President at a moment like this, but there are many states with major losses right now and he stood out as being among the first to say kind words and offer support for the Federal Response to date. That took class, given the almost vicious environment that seems to say NO kind word may EVER be spoken of the other side..no matter what the cause of reason. He could have just mumbled a few things about how it could have been worse or whatever. Nicely played for Gov. Christie, IMO.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Yes obama single handedly saved millions from superstorm!

I wonder what he would have done if this storm was after the election. Probably wouldve gone to vegas again

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by lobotomizemecapin
Yes obama single handedly saved millions from superstorm!

I wonder what he would have done if this storm was after the election. Probably wouldve gone to vegas again

I'd say you are a bit cynical - refusing to give a little credit where credit is due.
This is contributing to the breakdown of civilization. Thanks a lot. Now I know who to blame.

It is also the surest way to MISS many good ideas, embrace bad ones instead and fail.
Learn. You must recognize success, or you are doomed to repeat failure again and again.

No soup for you! LOL

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I like Governor Christy. He has a (tell it like it is) personality... and he says exactly what is on his mind.

President Obama regarding this issue is doing his job...doing what he is supposed to be doing...and Gov. Christy is grateful for that.

I really respect a guy like that.

Regarding the hardships that my fellow human beings are going through in the eastern part of the U.S... my heart and prayers go out to all of them. I care deeply about humanity...so of course I am really upset about the situation.

I just hope that there are enough resources to help, rebuild and restore.

I am going to make a donation to the Red Cross; how about the rest of you?

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

I agree. Obama is no Cory Booker. He is not swimming in the subway rescuing people and not doing anything great or out of the ordinary but responding to a crisis as almost anyone in office would. I voted for the guy but I am not going to make a hero out of him here. However my estimation of Chris Christy did raise a few pegs. I never liked him in particular - but I can see the basic integrity and decency in the man during a crisis like this.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant

Well, he is right. Give credit where it is due, and when it is due. The problem with the R's and the D's is that they are both so caught up in their partisan BS that they never give the other side credit when it is deserved.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by OptimusSubprime

Well, he is right. Give credit where it is due, and when it is due. The problem with the R's and the D's is that they are both so caught up in their partisan BS that they never give the other side credit when it is deserved.

That is not entirely true sir! I try to give credit whenever it is due regardless. It is the only way to see through the BS is to recognize when someone has a good idea even if it isn't you.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   

I was mainly talking about the politicians and media hacks.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by OptimusSubprime

I was mainly talking about the politicians and media hacks.

Well that's true. There is no cooperation whatsoever and seems more of an effort to conceal real purposes and confuse issues so people will just quit fighting out of sheer exhausted frustration. They definitely do that.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I would say it's just to shine the "good light" on FEMA. And pave the way for FEMA to get some cash...I bet those folks in New Orleans are wondering.....Where the hell did this FEMA come from? The one we got with Katrina..sucked.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 02:32 AM
link   
of course he would, his nose is darker than obamas.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by graceunderpressure
Call me cynical, but I wonder if the POTUS support would have been as stellar in, say, 2009. If I were one of Obama's campaign advisors, I would have warned him about being under a comparative microscope and told him that nothing less than a perfect response to the situation would suffice. "Don't give the Romney camp anything to criticize."

Campaign issues aside, Christie's straightforward style is refreshing.

Yeah, you're being cynical, but this is clearly an opportunity for Obama to shine one week before the election. No doubt his campaign chiefs have made sure that he does so. I doubt those affected, who will receive help, care a whit one way or the other the reason behind his alacritous and effective response and leadership.

That said, I believe there were some big storms in 2009 and he behaved in a similar fashion. Smart, compassionate politicians do this. Bill Clinton did this during disasters. Sociopathic, out of touch politicians do not -- case in point: George W. Bush during Katrina.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by newcovenant

I agree. Obama is no Cory Booker. He is not swimming in the subway rescuing people and not doing anything great or out of the ordinary but responding to a crisis as almost anyone in office would. I voted for the guy but I am not going to make a hero out of him here. However my estimation of Chris Christy did raise a few pegs. I never liked him in particular - but I can see the basic integrity and decency in the man during a crisis like this.

Uh, not everybody would respond to this crisis as Obama has. Exhibit A: George W. Bush during Hurricane Katrina. Exhibit B: What Obama's opponent, Romney, has said regarding FEMA and disasters; he wants to do away with FEMA and let state and local governments deal with it -- in fact, he said it would even be better for the private sector to take care of such matters.

Speaking tangentially of which, where are all the Obama bashers in this thread? Sure, there was one who suggested that had this happened after the election that Obama would have gone to Vegas instead, but that was purdee lame. Where are you Obama haters, who want him tried and impeached for this, that and the other overblown issue? And are you seriously going to claim that you'd rather have Romney as president, given his stance on FEMA and disaster relief?
edit on 31-10-2012 by MrInquisitive because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   

See what Romney has to say about disaster relief should he become president:

Romney's natural disaster response policy (ATS thread)

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrInquisitive

Originally posted by newcovenant

Uh, not everybody would respond to this crisis as Obama has. Exhibit A: George W. Bush during Hurricane Katrina. Exhibit B: What Obama's opponent, Romney, has said regarding FEMA and disasters; he wants to do away with FEMA and let state and local governments deal with it -- in fact, he said it would even be better for the private sector to take care of such matters.

Speaking tangentially of which, where are all the Obama bashers in this thread? Sure, there was one who suggested that had this happened after the election that Obama would have gone to Vegas instead, but that was purdee lame. Where are you Obama haters, who want him tried and impeached for this, that and the other overblown issue? And are you seriously going to claim that you'd rather have Romney as president, given his stance on FEMA and disaster relief?
edit on 31-10-2012 by MrInquisitive because: (no reason given)

Good post. I wonder if Chris Christy would prefer Romney and his private sector be who he turns to in a state of emergency. Somehow I am thinking No.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Chris is praising him because someone finally gave the guy some attention. I really don't care, neither him nor Obama have any effect on the actual recovery right now. He's probably just glad that he's in the national news. Obama touring here? For what? To see the damage and then what?

It makes me mad that people use disastrous events as a means for politics. The devastation was immense....how heartless can people be. Not only that but Obama is supposed to look this afternoon....he hasn't even done anything yet. I have no idea about Romney either. Honestly they should just keep their mouths shut and do everything they can to help recovery efforts and not milk this disaster for politics.

All relief effort so far was due to local politicians asking for help. As well as all our local fire departments, police departments and power companies, even the landscapers are helping. We've all come together as a community.
edit on 31-10-2012 by Svipdagr because: (no reason given)

new topics
top topics

<<   2 >>

join