It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The President's Role During a Crisis

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

So again you are mad that he was campaigning during an election season?

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Resurected
reply to post by beezzer

Guess that means neo should be along eventualy if hes still here lol

He's monitoring the "Liberals Avoiding Hard Questions" seminar in Vegas. You know, the one Obama went to.

(Is that where you are?)

If you see Neo, tell him hi from beez.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Sounds like he is taking GOP funding for his own use again, because thats been over a few days!

*Edit* small thing to point out, only place you will see"vegas" even being mentioned in any of this far right wing sites lol
edit on 30-10-2012 by Resurected because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
Okay. Obama is at the White House, handling the crisis, Hurricane Sandy.

What is his job?

He spoke to the govenor's of the states affected. And, um. . . what?
The Red Cross and FEMA are already on-scene, so what is Obama doing?

This is where I pretend you care about the answer

(HARTFORD, CT) – Governor Dannel P. Malloy released the following statement in response to President Obama’s approval Sunday night of the Governor’s request to declare a pre-landfall emergency in Connecticut, which will allow the state to request federal funding and other assistance in advance of Hurricane Sandy’s impact on the state.

“I would like to thank President Obama for understanding the necessity of declaring an emergency in our state in advance of the storm,” Governor Malloy said. “As each forecast has come in, it’s become more and more clear that this storm will have a major impact on Connecticut. We cannot wait until after it hits to begin the process of seeking emergency assistance. State emergency management personnel under my direction have already been working with the FEMA team assigned to Connecticut to coordinate these efforts, understanding the urgency our residents are facing.”

connecticut.cbslocal.com...

Obama declares major disaster in NYC, NJ as Sandy kills 28, causes major flooding and fires
www.msnbc.msn.com...

Approving funds, troops etc. etc. He is in DC because the buck stops with him...

Now back to the campaign and BS....Carry on.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Resurected

Actually both him and Romney stopped campaigning during this crisis.
The OP does bring up a valid point,with this many people affected,shouldn't he be doing more seeing as he is the President?

Its great he made a politically correct decision to stop campaigning,but what is he actually doing in this crisis?

Declaring this as an emergency is idiocy,we already know that and don't need to be told...people are living it and can figure that out without him "declaring it"
edit on 30-10-2012 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Okay guys... I'm up for a roasting, I can feel it. However, I'm going to say Obama fulfilled his role as a President for this crisis, at least up to this point in time. I can't very well hold his proverbial feet to the bonfire on every little thing he does wrong if I can't also grudgingly admit when he does, for whatever motives, the right thing. Even Chris Christie was quoted first thing this morning as saying Obama has been a stand up guy for this crisis.

Now.. Gee, (rolls eyes toward White House) I wonder what day it is..and what is happening in a few days? lol... I wonder...could it be related? Naww.... 'course not...

No one is naive enough to think he did this by the purest of motives, of course. His track record over time shows that's highly unlikely. It doesn't change the end result though. Just as I don't care what motives might have been when things go horribly wrong......it's still his fault, so we have to hold true the other direction when things go right.

It seems to me....for all a President CAN do while a Disaster is in progress...he did it. Now lets see how he handles the second half and then aftermath. He was quite loud about Katrina. Well..We had it again. Complete with swift water rescues inside neighborhoods and people trapped in attics with rising water. I wonder...how he handles that part? For everyone sake, I do not hope to see him falter or fail.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

“The federal government’s response has been great.

I was on the phone at midnight again last night with the President, personally, he has expedited the designation of New Jersey as a major disaster area,”

Christie, a top surrogate for Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney, said on NBC’s “Today.”

He added, “The President has been outstanding in this and so have the folks at FEMA.”

www.washingtonpost.com...

But as I am sure we all know...Chris Christie is a liberal commie!

Keep up the theme of politicizing national tragedies...see where that lands the GOP.

edit on 30-10-2012 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
You know I haven't seen Neo, maybe he's been busy working the restroom stalls at the Vegas airport

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
Okay guys... I'm up for a roasting, I can feel it. However, I'm going to say Obama fulfilled his role as a President for this crisis, at least up to this point in time. I can't very well hold his proverbial feet to the bonfire on every little thing he does wrong if I can't also grudgingly admit when he does, for whatever motives, the right thing. Even Chris Christie was quoted first thing this morning as saying Obama has been a stand up guy for this crisis.

Just about to star your post for objectivity...then...

Now.. Gee, (rolls eyes toward White House) I wonder what day it is..and what is happening in a few days? lol... I wonder...could it be related? Naww.... 'course not...

No one is naive enough to think he did this by the purest of motives, of course.

Can we agree that both Liberals and Right Wingers....Both Democrats and Republicans...care about Americans in harms way? Maybe, just maybe we can have a grown-up conversation some day?

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

The further a U.S. President can stay from the scene of an ongoing disaster, the better...if that is what you mean by seeing. One of the most personal things I HATE Obama for..the MOST...is his stunt in Joplin that caused all search and rescue to be halted so he could have a photo op. A person just 1 day before had been pulled, alive, from a basement where she'd been trapped. Rescues WERE still possible...and no one could know for sure that people weren't trapped while they were stood down for his visit.

If he's not going to stomp through the middle of THIS one for photo ops...Good. I'll tip my hat to the man this time. By politics or by being a decent person, perhaps he's learned or appreciates the damage anyone in his Office can do by merely showing up at a place where his entourage and travelling circus is MOST unhelpful.

link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

you bring up very valid points. He is doing all that he can for this disaster and I truly hope he doesn't fail the people in this. He did get a commendation from Gov. Christie for his actions for his nonpartisan actions and I also do commend him on his work with this crisis ( even though I know my previous post doesn't sound like it and in the great scheme of things my opinion means nothing). But facts are still facts, the federal government is failing us in the most important areas such as protecting us from threats and violence.
edit on 30-10-2012 by shadwgirl because: spelling

link   
reply to post by beezzer

The president has done everything that he can do. People on ATS just don't understand that disaster emergency is done on a local level, not the federal.

The feds are not even allowed to set foot in a state until the state says it is ok by declaring a state of emergency.

The President signs off on it and releases FEMA, that is his only role.

It is the Governor's, the Mayers, state Department heads, and your local EMS that handle disasters. The feds just provide support.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Thanks. What he is doing is what he should be doing then. Manning the White House during a crisis.

I understand.

Great.

So if it's a domestic crisis a week before the election, he's a stand-up guy.

But if it's a foreign crisis in Bengazi with only 4 Americans dead, he goes to Vegas.

Got it. Can't say I understnd it, but I got it.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

Indigo..... Would you prefer I put on a false face and play as if I don't hate Obama so much it vibrates? Everyone on this site who knows me from my posting knows my feelings toward this man. I'm being as gracious, respectful and grateful toward the President as I can bring myself to be, given how I personally feel about him as a man as as a leader.

So... I hope, in that sense, my sentiments can be taken as sincerely as they're offered. I really am sorry, and I mean this, that my personal feelings are so strong, I cannot set them entirely aside. I thought about how to address that when I got up today....and I figure just being 100% up front and being me is the best way.

Yeah.. I think we agree entirely, when it comes down to it on this crisis. The man did it right. How or why isn't nearly as important as the fact he DID, by all accounts, do it right for the nation and those suffering right now.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   

The further a U.S. President can stay from the scene of an ongoing disaster, the better...if that is what you mean by seeing.

If he's not going to stomp through the middle of THIS one for photo ops...Good. I'll tip my hat to the man this time. By politics or by being a decent person, perhaps he's learned or appreciates the damage anyone in his Office can do by merely showing up at a place where his entourage and travelling circus is MOST unhelpful.

Will you promise that 24 hours from now you won't pipe in on the inevitable hate- thread calling Pres. Obama the worst President EVER for NOT visiting the disaster zone? Politics have a way of punishing good deeds.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   

What is his job?

It's a multi-state affair that requires the federal government to intervene and coordinate efforts through all those various states. Mostl of this occurs through the executive branch so the president needs to be there to sign all those official forms that need to be signed to send X number of trucks and federal employees to locations A, B and C. In addition to all the disaster relief that the different governors are going to be asking for.

Now let's go back a month.

Another crisis. Bengazi Consulate. 4 Americans dead due to a terrorist attack, our Consulate burned.

What did Obama do?

Go to Las Vegas.

?

Is it just me, or does anyone else see a disconnect here.

That's really a whole other can of worms involving classified CIA intelligence, units disobeying lawful orders and communications that aren't exactly verified on who they were going to or what they were talking about.

I think it's a far cry to call an attack on a US embassy the same thing as a hurricane hitting the north eastern seaboard in late October.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
reply to post by beezzer

The president has done everything that he can do. People on ATS just don't understand that disaster emergency is done on a local level, not the federal.

The feds are not even allowed to set foot in a state until the state says it is ok by declaring a state of emergency.

The President signs off on it and releases FEMA, that is his only role.

It is the Governor's, the Mayers, state Department heads, and your local EMS that handle disasters. The feds just provide support.

I understand what you are saying and I do agree. But when katrina happened, people crucified Bush. You can't have it both ways. Sorry to bring this up, but it needs to be said. Strangely enough, this was what I said when people were blaming Bush for katrina and I got it thrown back in my face.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by links234

What is his job?

It's a multi-state affair that requires the federal government to intervene and coordinate efforts through all those various states. Mostl of this occurs through the executive branch so the president needs to be there to sign all those official forms that need to be signed to send X number of trucks and federal employees to locations A, B and C. In addition to all the disaster relief that the different governors are going to be asking for.

Now let's go back a month.

Another crisis. Bengazi Consulate. 4 Americans dead due to a terrorist attack, our Consulate burned.

What did Obama do?

Go to Las Vegas.

?

Is it just me, or does anyone else see a disconnect here.

That's really a whole other can of worms involving classified CIA intelligence, units disobeying lawful orders and communications that aren't exactly verified on who they were going to or what they were talking about.

I think it's a far cry to call an attack on a US embassy the same thing as a hurricane hitting the north eastern seaboard in late October.

So one is a crisis and the other is what? Workplace violence?

Also, Obama has that nifty "autopen" and instant communications anywhere he is.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indigo5

The further a U.S. President can stay from the scene of an ongoing disaster, the better...if that is what you mean by seeing.

Will you promise that 24 hours from now you won't pipe in on the inevitable hate- thread calling Pres. Obama the worst President EVER for NOT visiting the disaster zone? Politics have a way of punishing good deeds.

Now I'm not about to agree to anything THAT vague.

I will say this as something you can hold me to and I quoted your message so no one (even me) could say something else was meant later.

IF Obama does nothing by his own actions....or HIS direct subordinates do nothing by THEIR actions (it's gotta be people working for HIM...some gomer who happens to be a Dem at a state or local level, I can't count) that turns all my sudden goodwill sideways by making this situation worse somehow..........IF nothing is done that we can clearly agree was a screw up and hurt people....

^^ assuming that..

Then yes, you can 100% hold me to it, that I will not use this crisis for any political purpose or petty political points.. I can think of nothing more repulsive and obscene than using a disaster people have and are still dying in....for points in a debate. Fair?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join