It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricane Sandy: Problems at Five Nuke Plants

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 05:00 AM
link   
reply to post by NeutralGuard

If thats what he meant that explains it, thank you.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrptr

Originally posted by Nuke2013

Shutting down a nuclear plant is routine, the only major draw back it to "get rid" of the accumulated power throught the electrical vines. Usualy that "extra" power is sent to anoother facility or send to Quebec Hydro at a loss, yes they pay to get rid of it.

I thought electrical power generation stops when the plant "shuts down"? Where does the "extra accumulated power come" from?

The plant doesn't just "shut down" instantaniously and the lower wattage produced while shutting down from the distribution grid is redirected to, either another facility or send over the boarder to Hydro Quebec from wich some of these plants already get the "raw" basic power from.

Nuclear plant are basicly humongus steam turbine electrical plants, when they go through the power shut down those turbines still spin for a couple of hours. Nuclear plant do not store the electricity they produce either, it's an imediate delievery system to the power grid. They can not send a lesser voltage through the normal feeding grid thus they send it where it can be used, ie another nuclear plant that can use it as "raw" power or send it accross the boarder to Quebec at a cost.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Nuke2013

Maybe you could link me to that. As far as I understand it a generator trips when the turbine slows down. it is designed that way to prevent damage to the turbine. So then again power production stops even though turbine is still turning due to residual steam. Just trying to understand...

new topics

<< 1  2   >>

join