Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Australian students to study Asian languages as Gillard embraces 'Asian Century'

page: 1

join

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Truth about the 'Brain Gain' or Appeasement by GOA to the rising powers in Asia? Certainly I agree with the neutrality but not at the cost of losing vital resources and/or industries in Australia.

The measures, outlined in a report by a government-appointed taskforce, include offering thousands of scholarships to Asian students, new diplomatic posts across the region and requiring that a third of all company directors and senior civil servants have a "deep knowledge" of Asia. In addition, every schoolchild will be able to learn one of four "priority" languages: Chinese, Hindi, Japanese and Indonesian.

Ms Gillard said the "unstoppable" rise of Asia and its massive new urban middle class was "a transformation as profound as any that have defined Australia throughout our history".

LINK

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Its great to see the Australian Government has figured out which way the wind is blowing.

If I was the American Government I wouldn trust Australia any more than I had to. Australia knows the future is China and the Asian Century.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   
oh yeah ... an asian century ... even less rights for everybody, more stupid laws, one child policy all over the world, earning even less, working even more ... that sounds like fun ... in case it is really coming up, I give myself 6 month before being imprisoned for life because I peed on a tree ...

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Learning or knowing multiple languages is always a good idea. When I was growing up I had to learn french because of Quebec and I hated the language. This is the way the world is moving today, towards asia. I myself am planning moving to Hong Kong next year for work and plan on learning cantonese and mandarin (with a heavy newfoundland accent of course, lol). How do you say "How's ya gettin on" in cantonese or mandarin, lol.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

I just jumped at the chance to pop my two-cents into the social machine for a quick play...

But the '4' languages they offer have been 'fundamental' secondary subjects for Aussie kids for decades.
I started learning Indonesian at 10 in a state school in Victoria and when we hit High School at 12 we could continue it with massive opportunity to study overseas, not for 'their' language but to teach them ours (english)!

Considering the amount of aid we offer these neighbours of ours it could go without saying that its important to know a little local lingo for mutual benefits.

Im 28 now and chose to change my LOTE subject (languages other than english) to german at year 7 and discontinued study at year 10. Either of these would have given me scope to travel abroad with 'education' as the excuse. Now I can I barely remember any of it and given my current city (Melbourne), it would have been better if I could have learnt Arabic or Sudanese!

- education is a notional concept, ignorance is not...

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Strange how there is no referendum asking Australians if they want their culture dominated by the Chinese.
The same Chinese who shoot people for expressing free speech.
The same Chinese who ban the internet sites that even remotely speak the truth.
The same Chinese who comitted genocide just afew decades ago against its own people approx 100 million people executed.
The same Chinese who undercut ecery western nations labour costs by approx 1000% the result unemployed Australian youth who then buy inferior often dangerous Chinese goods made by those who have their jobs.
It would be good to have a say...but we all know democracy is a fairy tale.
And it will be unmentionable if the chinese apply their trademark fist on Australia as in Tibet.
I do not want to be under the thumb of China..I ask the uSA to invade Australia now yes Iam serious I would rather have the USA conrol Australia any day than have the Chinese tyranny have one inch of my being.
This is not about Chinese people just the evil force that is its dictatorship.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

A question. Do Australian schools teach the language of the indigenous Australian people? Do students have the ability to study such things?

If they do not, the Australian government ought to look to the languages spoken on its own shores since time freaking began for the human race, before moving its attentions elsewhere.

new topics

top topics

join