It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Franken-Storm Halloween Display Pics & My Local Folklore Story Time!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Hello ATS,
I love Halloween, and I wanted to share with you a couple of cool pics of my house in Northwest Indiana during this crazy stormy and windy eerie day, while this hurricane churns up the winds over us. If we should get some lightning and thunder I would say this is the weather you imagine during this creepy time of the year. Not only is the wind going crazy, but there is a full moon with a beautiful halo. So, I decided I would entertain the ghoulish guests of ATS. So sit back and enjoy the pictures from my front-yard cemetery and insane asylum. Then I will read you a a few stories of some Indiana ghost tales-the ones that scare the bones out of the people in my local area, and superstition runs wild. I hope you share your stories with us too!
My Front-Yard:

The first story on my list is "Gypsies Graveyard". That graveyard is about 4 minutes away from my house, and nearly all the houses on that creepy old road are mysteriously for sale. I will never forget my first trip to the graveyard thinking how there is no such thing as ghosts, yet I couldn't let go of that fear. It was roughly midnight the night before Halloween and my friends and I pulled up down the barren road to a little fenced off gravesite. We got out of the car and noticed blood on our pant legs. We looked down with the flash light and there was bloody deer carcasses laying around and other small game animals skinned and rotting all over the place-it was messed up. Meanwhile I was distracted by the sounds of a bell pattern-not like a random sound, but repetitive.

We all walked into the graveyard looking at the beautiful statues and really old graves. Behind the graveyard was a trail we decided to take a look at. About 400 meters down the path we came to an area that resembles that of an ancient church area where the priest would stand lower in elevation compared to the observers. My wife (girlfriend at the time) was leaning up against a tree that looked very weird. We looked up with our flashlights and about 60 feet up was an old creepy cross.

The Story of Gypsies Graveyard:
In 1820 in the town of Crown Point Indiana there was a fairly large group of gypsies passing through who all became ill with an unknown flu-type sickness and were banished from the town. The Gypsies were known as thief's and witches. They sole herbal remedies (ironically), and the town had many missing livestock from the area turn up as bloody carcasses in the middle of the night. The town had enough of their evil ways and told them all to leave immediately. Even women shopping for food and other supplies were denied service because of a sickness within their pack. A couple of men on horses went and told the caravan that they must pack up and move along.

A Gypsy elder approached the men begging for supplies to help their pack get back up on their feet, as many of the women and children were badly sick. The Gypsies were denied assistance and given 2 days to leave. A local farmer had saw the Gypsies drive by in the night, and the next day the men returned to find mounds of dirt of the dead Gypsy's. The men returned home and their wives were horrified because the men were covered in blood from the knee down. The Gypsies left a bloody curse for the town so they will always remember what they have done.

Since my first visit to Gypies Graveyard I have returned many times at different times of the day and night. I have seen floating little yellow lights approach us with no one near them, and I am talking we watched this thing move through the forest and come about 20 feet away from us. We could see all around it and no one was holding this light! But, every time you go there you can count on having a good spook in the middle of nowhere.

Here are some pictures of the old gravestones at Gypsies Graveyard:

Reeder Road
By far the weirdest place in Northwest Indiana is Reeder Road. Everyone, and I mean everyone knows the story of Reeder Road and a tale of lost love in the night. My first trip to Reeder Road was exciting and super creepy. The kind of creepy that makes you feel like the ground below you is evil. That not one man or woman made an everlasting impression in one specific place, but that this whole place is just evil. The road is about 8 miles long beginning in Griffith and ending in Merrillville. To enter the road you must start of the west side. The road is so grown over a canopy surrounds the road all the way down, it is very eerie. You must pay attention out there as there is a lot of sharp metal and axes and things stuck up in trees and in the ground, almost in a sick booby trap fashion. We found a field of metal shards that resembled a school of sharks swimming through the ground awaiting a victim to touch its rusty self.
AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA + +

The Story of Reeder Road:
On dark and stormy October night the rain was torrential and the lightning was fierce. A boy named Randy was driving home trying to keep his vehicle on the road when he noticed a girl waving for help. He stopped and picked up the strange yet beautiful girl who whispered with the softest voice through the wind and rain. She said her car had fallen into a ditch, yet Randy could not recall seeing a car in the ditch earlier. The girl seemed frightened and shivering. Randy kindly turned the heat on full blast and gave her his Letterman's jacket. As they drove towards her house Randy was confused and kept asking for directions while she kept repeating you will see it-It is lit up and has white shutters.

Randy then pulled onto a road where he could make out the words on a gate "Ross Cemetery", he was wondering why he was driving through a cemetary when he saw a house with shutters lit up, he turned to say is this it? But, She was Gone!
Randy hopped out of the car and opened all the doors in the pouring rain looking through the lightning trying to see if the girl was around, but no one was in site!

The next day Randy tried retracing his steps to make sense out of the night after getting no sleep, and found himself back at the graveyard when a man in a red truck drive from the white house and asked if Randy was okay. Randy asked if their was a girl who lives in the white house and the old man said there was a little over 15 years ago. The girl and her boyfriend were in a tragic car accident on their way to a dance at school, but no one lives there but me now. The girl is buried right over there as a matter of fact.

Randy was terrified and the old man left staring Randy down as he drove away. Randy walked through the cemetery for a few minutes while looking at gravestones approaching the gravestone with the word Elizabeth written upon it. The name and date isn't what scared Randy. It was his Letterman's Jacket laying beneath!!!
Since then the girl is reported often and considered to be haunting the road looking for her lost love.
AHAHHAHAHH.
stories helped out by: Haunted Indiana (Mark Marimen) and my friends

photoby: www.chaostrips.com...

My last and most favorite story is actually not a story but another gruesome murderer from Indiana that has yet to make it to the Main Stream. These events are all true and the name Bell Gunus makes the bones of men shiver with fear from here to Missouri: (Next Post)->
edit on 30-10-2012 by samlf3rd because: edit

edit on 30-10-2012 by samlf3rd because: misspelling

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Belle Gunness

"COME PREPARED TO STAY FOREVER"
Belle Gunness -- "Lady Bluebeard"

On April 28, 1908 a mysterious fire raged through the small brick farmhouse of Belle Gunness, a widow who lived outside of the pleasant and unassuming town of La Porte, Indiana. The fire at first seemed to be no more than a horrible tragedy that claimed the lives of Belle and her three lovely children, aged 1, nine and five, but then questions began to emerge from the smoldering ruins. The answers, and the unsolved mysteries, that would emerge from these ruins would make headlines across the Midwest.

In life, 48 year-old Belle Gunness had stood just under five and a half feet tall but had weighed a massive 280 pounds, however the body that was found in the remains of her home was no more than 150. Had the blaze somehow burned away the flesh from Belle's portly body? No one could really say for sure since the head of the corpse was missing. How had this happened? Could a falling section of the house have severed her head -- or had it been cut off by a murderer who had set fire to the house to hide his crime?

Bell Gunness was no stranger to mystery or to controversy. Several years before, her husband, Peter Gunness, had been killed (according to Belle) when a meat grinder had toppled off the shelf in the kitchen and had struck him in the head. But when the coroner looked at the body, he allegedly muttered "this is a case of murder." To make matter worse, one of Belle's children even told a classmate that her mother had hit him over the head with a cleaver. The authorities investigated but Belle was so convincing, and so formidable, at the inquest that no charges were ever filed. And after her husband's death, Belle was never considered a proper widow. It was common knowledge in town that she had taken her handyman, Ray Lamphere, to her bed on lonely winter nights.

.NEXT-->
edit on 30-10-2012 by samlf3rd because: misspelling

edit on 30-10-2012 by samlf3rd because: double content

edit on Tue Oct 30 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: shorten story

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   

www.prairieghosts.com...

Happy Halloween ATS!

edit on 30-10-2012 by samlf3rd because: no ex text

edit on Tue Oct 30 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   
The wind is still very crazy here from the hurricane-35 minutes from downtown Chicago! 60 mile an hour gusts! It will be a spooky night, it is dark here at 10:00 A.M. cool!

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Good thread.Interesting stories which make a change from some of the other rubbish I've read here in the last few days.Just read a thread from a guy who controls the flow of traffic with his mind,I kid you not.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by glen200376

Hilarious. It's actually funny that I didn't realize I was creating something needed out of the norm with this. Very cool. I enjoy my yard too. I spend hours walking around it adding more and more things. I actually have spot lights in my backyard, a creepy fence, a Michael Meyers and smoke machines and strobes everywhere. I took those images with my Canon ti3 with long exposures and you can't see the strobes or smoke. I have a bunch of loud music playing too.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by samlf3rd

Your house and yard look awesome!!!

My son loves Halloween but nothing scary-he likes the silly scary stuff-which is understandable since he has night terrors.

Anyways cool stories. I love scary stories all year round but especially Halloween time!

Thanks for your thread, really enjoyed the read and pictures!!

Have a Happy Halloween!!!

Edit: I love it when it's dark during the day.

edit on 30-10-2012 by natalia because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Thanks for the cool stories!
I was lazy this year and didn't put up our cemetery. Looking at yours, I wish I would have!

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by natalia

It's funny that we save about $40 in candy every year because a lot of kids cry and walk all the way around our house. Meanwhile most of the kids in our subdivision get dropped off next door to me, they trick or treat my house and my neighbors then their parents pick them up. I have a ton of other props not in the pics. People stop here all night long and just stare at the decorations. We scar the crap out of people on Halloween. In June people are driving by asking when I am going to set everything up.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by chiefsmom

It's funny that I almost ended up not setting everything up this year because I am so busy with work, but I am glad that I did. I have been doing this since I was 15-Almost 20 years!

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Love it! Thanks! S & F

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   
It seems that everywhere has its own phantom hitchhiker story. Interesting.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Headshot

Yes actually while looking it up I found that the first mysterious hitchhiker was first spotted over 800 years ago in China!

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Mhm, I used to live in Anadarko, OK. They had theirs about an old indian woman who would turn into a raven as you pulled over to let her in.

It's like crybaby bridges, there are probably thousands of them all over the country, or world. Cool stuff!

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Great thread!!! I'm from Griffith and know about the first two, but I never heard of the 3rd. I just happened to search reder road and came across your thread!!

Where you from? It's good to know there's other Region Rats on ATS!!

top topics

join