It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For those of you calling Sandy not a big deal...

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 05:22 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

So you're trying to tell me that the population around New Orleans is anywhere near NY and NJ...you missed the point I'm trying to relay...

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 05:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by mr10k
It was an over-hyped storm. I live in Florida and storms are nothing new.

That's so arrogant.

People in New England and the Mid Atlantic get hurricanes and major storms all the time. (I've been through at least a dozen). Why some people from the south keep saying (or insinuating) that the Mid Atlantic and the North East don't get big storms or hurricanes is just ignorance.

From the amount of distruction it's obvious that this storm was NOT over-hyped.

The amount of coverage in the media SAVED LIVES.

This storm negatively effected nearly every state in the Eastern half of the country.

to those who say this storm was 'over hyped'.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Washed a tanker ashore.

edit on 31-10-2012 by Hijinx because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

It was an over-hyped storm. I live in Florida and storms are nothing new.

That's so arrogant.

People in New England and the Mid Atlantic get hurricanes and major storms all the time. (I've been through at least a dozen). Why some people from the south keep saying (or insinuating) that the Mid Atlantic and the North East don't get big storms or hurricanes is just ignorance.

From the amount of distruction it's obvious that this storm was NOT over-hyped.

The amount of coverage in the media SAVED LIVES.

This storm negatively effected nearly every state in the Eastern half of the country.

to those who say this storm was 'over hyped'.

You didn't take care to read the rest of my post where I said

The thing about it, though, just like with every other storm, it's not the intensity of the storm that is a dangerous thing. Take Wilma for example. It was a Cat 5 when it hit Florida and didn't do as much damage as Katrina did when it hit Orleans, and it was a Cat 3.

It's the area the hurricane hits that makes it dangerous. To us in the South, yes it was extremely over-hyped. But to the Yankees, of course, it was a very dangerous storm.

But you took extra special care in putting those smilies in your post. Of course the way you ripped the first sentences out of my post make it look ignorant, IF you didn't bother reading the rest. Looks like the people that starred you didn't read the rest of it either.

And yes, like I said before, it was over-hyped. For good reason.
edit on 31-10-2012 by mr10k because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 06:59 AM
link   
This is just preparation for the major relief (or let down?) of December 21st.

..hold on someone is calling.

OH hi Y2K! Long time no talk! The Mayans? Well what about them? Yea.. yea.. so you talked to them? Well thanks for the call Y2K!

..sorry Y2K just called, it said it wanted it's disaster back, but Sandy beeped in and he had to go.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 07:00 AM
link   
I'm trying to find the most recent vids of damaged areas.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Wheelindiehl

It always depends on where you live we were In the middle of the storm and never had a problem. I have a copy of Psalm 91 hanging Inside the front door for the storm angel to see.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by mr10k

If I misunderstood what you were saying .. I apologize.

As for the rest .. I stand by what I said about people being through these storms a lot in the North East and Mid Atlantic. This storm wasn't over-hyped. I think the coverage was necessary and it was accurate.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   
you people are acting like the fact that the nyc subway system is "down untill further notice" is a small thing. this has never happened. sure katrina was a strong storm but it doesnt even compare when you take into account the number of people effected. nyc is the financial hub of the U.S and it is essentially shut down untill the subways get back up and people can go to work.

And if the storm wasnt hyped up like it was even more people would have died then there would have been a sh!tstorm because the media didnt do a good enough job of warning people. people that think this need to get their crap together and look at the bigger picture. just because you werent disturbed in your little bubble doesnt mean that peoples lives werent effected by this
edit on 31-10-2012 by MastaShake because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   
I would also just add a little comment I have on all those who say this was not as bad as predicted.

So many are saying that the official comment was that between 50 and 70 million people would be left without power. As I recall the comment was that 50 to 70 million people would be impacted by the storm and that figure I think has been proven to be quite true, even if some were only slightly effected they were effected!

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Wheelindiehl

For those who have not seen this already....Watch as 3 large trees fall....

To have caught all this in a two minute video
Hurricane Sandy Three trees fall and a fire
edit on 31-10-2012 by wutz4tom because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   
My overall point to this thread was this, Sandy is going to cause a lot of damage to an area that is vital to the United States economy, it isn't affecting me personally yet, I know they/we can and will rebuild. But for anyone to say "this is nothing compared to _____" is a complete ass, this mess isn't over yet and there are only estimates as to what the total damage is. I am not saying this is the worst disaster to ever happen, nor am I saying the 40 or so people that lost their lives are more important than lives lost in Katrina and other storms across the world, but I thought the general population of ATS'ers had more compassion for fellow humans...I guess I was wrong. Thanks for any one supporting this thread.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by reficul
as for the driving rain that was promised,well we only got about 10 cm.(less than an inch)!

10 cm is in fact almost 4 inches.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by PULVERlZER

as for the driving rain that was promised,well we only got about 10 cm.(less than an inch)!

10 cm is in fact almost 4 inches.

Clearly not in Hades.

Perhaps it is an evaporation thing?

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by PULVERlZER

holy cow!!! i meant 1 cm!!! where was my mind!???

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by reficul

Hardly your fault, given location.

Probably distracted watching Sisyphus with his boulder.........

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   

well if you lived near toronto ontario (as i do),then i will say sandy was not a big deal!
(sorry for all the who suffered the brunt of the storm[s]).
all the news agencies promised Armageddon like conditions in toronto,with massive amounts of rain/snow,and wind speeds up to 110 km./hour! even our red cross was urging us to prepare for 'the end!'

lol.

I am an avid news-consumer. Not once did I hear any prediction even remotely as extreme as this.

What we got was exactly what had been predicted. Heavy rain (100mm over 2 days), High winds up to 100km/hr, power outages and minor flooding. All of these things came to pass...

Not a "big deal" for a lot of people, per say, but I can imagine the family of the women who got killed by a flying sign would say differently. The thousands still without power might also think its a big deal.

I'd love to see a source on those numbers.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by polarwarrior
Actually the guy has a bit of a point, it has been non-stop news coverage here in Australia whereas some other events that were far far larger only got the same or in some cases much less news coverage...

In 2008 Cyclone Nargis killed 138,000... and it did not get as much coverage as Sandy.

Maybe because they are "unpeople", to borrow a phrase from John Pilger, they just aren't as important as white Americans.

something in this hit a nerve, I guess.

Pretty sure it was that "unpeople" rubbish.

12 years ago this week I was in Namibia. In a pub in Windhoek, having a quiet beer. One of the locals struck up a conversation, asking if I was from New York. I'm not. Not even an American. But I know people in NYC, friends and family. He had a brother living in Queens. After a bit of conversation, we worked out that his brother lived about a block away from my cousin. Small world, eh?

And that's the thing about New York and the rest of the world. Go out and ask 10 random people if they know anyone who has lived in New York. Pretty much anywhere you go in the world, you're going to run into people who know someone who does. A friend from school, a co-worker, a family member.

Try it.

THAT - not simplistic racism - is why a storm in NYC is news in Australia. Because there are thousands of Australians living in and around New York. And they have families and friends who are genuinely worried. That's why it's news in Haiti and China and Bangladesh and Japan and everywhere else in the world. Because it's New York City. People from everywhere live there. That's what makes it news.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Dishonored

Every consider that Y2K was avoided? I remember technicians worked feverishly for a year to make sure it didn't happen.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 07:00 AM
link   
reply to post by vox2442

You make a very interesting point.

I was in NYC a few weeks ago, ordering breakfast at a cafe. I heard it being ordered in 3 different langauges around me. I think we must of hit every continent with every taxi cab driver, with no repeats.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join