It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For those of you calling Sandy not a big deal...

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I live near Cleveland too. Yeah Lake Erie had some huge waves, and some rivers flooded. It really wasn't that bad here.

The East Coast looked like it got hit with Hurricane Irene but just a little bit worse.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wheelindiehl

As for relation to Katrina, New Orleans has a population of about 360k people...

No, we are talking Millions of people here from south Louisiana. That number is just the New Orleans city limits. The greater New Orleans Area was effected, including Metairie, Kenner, New Orleans East, anyone south of New Orleans.. lots of parishes and lots of cities with hundreds of thousands of people.

Your statement is very misleading.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   
I disagree with the thread poster,
I do think that natural disasters are terrible.
Look at the Tsunami that happened last year
2011 Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami
Now the damage compared to the event that happened to Japan has no competition.

Damage (Billions $):
Tōhoku 122
Sandy 30-50

But the thing is. You can not just sit around and do nothing.
Rome was not built in a day.
Japan managed to do something about it, and still do somehow.

All my thoughts go to the families and people of the East Coast. Just like they did during the massive natural disaster in Japan.
This is the winning vote for Obama, if he does it right.
edit on 30/10/12 by hellzdoms because: Structure.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by phroziac
Is that interstate 90 youre saying is closed? im in mo at the moment, trying to get back to the joe....where theyre calling for 20 foot waves. Cook nuclear plant is designed for 20 footers...nothing more.........

It cant flood where i live though, about 100 feet above the lake on the edge of a bluff/cliff

What?!?!
Cook Nuclear Plant...... I used to work there. It was weird seeing the name again...lol

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by bluemirage5

I've seen you post this on another thread too. I let it go, but seriously, this is worse that what happened in Jan 11'. I'm surprised you're even comparing it! Our flood, besides Toowoomba was slow creeping so people had time to get out of their homes, and, take a drive along graceville, chelmer, rocklea, they've rebuilt and some, as have those in Ipswich. Having lived in 7 homes that went under, (fortunately we were moved out of our oxley home months before it went under) and having lived less than 800m from where the water came through the main streets of Toowoomba, they have also finished their clean ups. What happened to us was indeed devastating, particularly along withcott, Grantham etc, but by no means was it WORSE than what the folks on the us east coast are going through. You sound like a typical male comparing size.

Apologies for any grammar/punctuation mistakes, Swype on this tablet is not my friend today.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Wheelindiehl

I would guess people living in somewhere like Bangladesh would think that this is well over hyped. They live with these kind of events. With a lot worse infrastructure..

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
The days of hurricanes, tornadoes and earthquakes are over. It's going to be the rising tide that does all the damage from now on...

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by rollsthepaul
Sandy is the rehearsal for the main event. In the first five months of 2013, there will be a global coastal water event, that will see water moving inland, from the ocean 200 miles. The hardest hit areas will be +/-30 degrees latitude. Whatever you may have gleaned from Sandy, you will have plenty of opportunity to use in 2013, when things get much more serious.

I know we should not feed the bears, oh hell, I can not resist!

I thought we were supposed to be wiped out before Christmas. 21/12/12 getting a wee bit close, so what you are already moving the goal posts. What is wrong with 2013. Oh, yea, the 13 part. Stop watching the horror flicks. Friday the 13th part 281 is a story, nothing more!

P

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by pheonix358

Originally posted by rollsthepaul
Sandy is the rehearsal for the main event. In the first five months of 2013, there will be a global coastal water event, that will see water moving inland, from the ocean 200 miles. The hardest hit areas will be +/-30 degrees latitude. Whatever you may have gleaned from Sandy, you will have plenty of opportunity to use in 2013, when things get much more serious.

I know we should not feed the bears, oh hell, I can not resist!

I thought we were supposed to be wiped out before Christmas. 21/12/12 getting a wee bit close, so what you are already moving the goal posts. What is wrong with 2013. Oh, yea, the 13 part. Stop watching the horror flicks. Friday the 13th part 281 is a story, nothing more!

P

Yes, but whats really scary is what happens on Saturday the 14th.
I was 13 and had a major boner for Kari Michaelsen and all things spoof sci-fi. MST3K where are you now?

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by DJW001
reply to post by SuperTripps

30 people died - there really is NO NEWS here of utter importance

I am sorry to hear that you consider any human life to be of no importance.

it was only hyped because of the population zone and nyc

It received worldwide attention because it will have a global economic impact.

and yet after all this barely any deaths

How many deaths would make you happy?

lots of happy, ALIVE people , who will go back to work and live their lives though and have no need for a doom and gloom thread like this

This is not a gloom and doom thread. In fact, it is one of the few disaster related threads on ATS that is based on reality. And, as you yourself have pointed out, the death toll has been remarkably light.

Actually the guy has a bit of a point, it has been non-stop news coverage here in Australia whereas some other events that were far far larger only got the same or in some cases much less news coverage...

In 2008 Cyclone Nargis killed 138,000... and it did not get as much coverage as Sandy.

Maybe because they are "unpeople", to borrow a phrase from John Pilger, they just aren't as important as white Americans.

The boxing day tsunami killed around 300,000 in 2004. It was in the news, getting equal coverage as Sandy. Is Sandy really equal in importance to the boxing day tsunami? To the racist media it is.

Most people do not even remember these events, yet if you were to ask an American what 9/11 was they would look at you in horror. They are more important you see.

The Chinese floods killed 4,000,000, but how many people randomly asked in the street could tell you about it.

Could you, off the top of your head tell me the year of the Bangladesh cyclone which killed 138,000? Even the decade?

Sandy does deserve coverage, just not as much as its getting. Maybe they should leave some space in the news for other people around the world.

edit on 31-10-2012 by polarwarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 12:27 AM
link   
I had an encounter today with a young woman who is from the entitled club of New York. She looked like she put her make up on by a flash light! I think that maybe the whole world is just waiting and watching to see exactly how this club is going to deal with the fact that Radio Shack is all out of iPhone car chargers. I for one can't wait to see what happens and I have a front row seat. Call me pessimistic, but I think it's going to be one of the "ugliest" disasters on record. Don't get me wrong, I am taking things very seriously here in Long Island, it is a very serious situation, but I don't think that I'm too far off the mark here with what I say...

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 12:47 AM
link   
It''s not a big deal.
From my perspective here in Brooklyn

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 12:50 AM
link   
What has happened is a horrific situation. My prayers go out to everyone that was affected.

One thing I learned from a very wise woman...Corrie Ten Boom....is that even in the toughest of situations you can find something good that comes out of it.

Hurricane Sandy has done in two days what the government hasn't been able to do in 4 years! It will put thousands if not millions of unemployed people back to work!

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Well I for one would take an overhype over an underhype anyday... most everyone was prepared for the worst and that is good! where as not having people prepared and it be as bad as it is or worse.. 30 people here in the US are dead.. 60+ in the Caribbean. Imagine all the lives lost if they hadn't prepared and shut down the subways.. that alone could have wiped out thousands.. not that I know but i'm just saying.. So you all need to quit your bitchin.. you never know!! Expect the worst hope for the best..

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 02:21 AM
link   
It was an over-hyped storm. I live in Florida and storms are nothing new. The thing about it, though, just like with every other storm, it's not the intensity of the storm that is a dangerous thing. Take Wilma for example. It was a Cat 5 when it hit Florida and didn't do as much damage as Katrina did when it hit Orleans, and it was a Cat 3.

It's the area the hurricane hits that makes it dangerous. To us in the South, yes it was extremely over-hyped. But to the Yankees, of course, it was a very dangerous storm. I know I'm in the wrong, but it was right of the media to over-hype it and get people off their ass and packing supplies. It was never a 'city-ending storm' or 'The Day After Tomorrow-storm', just any old storm. It just hit hard an area that wasn't prepared to deal with those kinds of natural disasters.

Over hyped? Yes
Dangerous? Very

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 02:30 AM
link   
(Forewarned is forearmed - chance favours the prepared mind)
No harm in getting the message accross even if it saves just one life. Hype
Is not a bad thing and it certainly is a big deal storm that could of been worse.

Praise to the services in genreral/the media/and all those of you who helped thy
neighbour in these troubled times and for everyone of you for support on the info you
have posted...

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 02:32 AM
link   
As for the Media,,, they way over-hyped it. It was a very large storm affecting multiple states.
Besides the cost of the cleanup and damage. the economic loss with these states being shut down will have a large impact. Even in Pa., which is a large hub for warehouses and the trucking industry.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Here's a thread i created...showing how serious this was/is...and still...people INSIST it's no big deal. Something is seriously wrong with our sense of judgement.

Devastating Photos (Sandy's Path)

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 02:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinTruth
Here's a thread i created...showing how serious this was/is...and still...people INSIST it's no big deal. Something is seriously wrong with our sense of judgement.

Devastating Photos (Sandy's Path)

The STORM was no big deal
The damage done was.

If it had hit somewhere that was used to and prepared for storms like this, it wouldn't have cause half the damage seen in the NE

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 02:59 AM
link   
reply to post by SpittinTruth

It is a very big deal indeed and you will be surprised at how many people in england give
a sh!t.I have a loved one who lost her home and was missing and i was worried sick .

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join