It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For those of you calling Sandy not a big deal...

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian

Originally posted by khimbar

Khimbar and Wheelindiehl,

Now now, calm down chaps (or chappesses). Keep it civil or its off to bed with no dinner. And i am taking your toys away. For a week.

Yes boss.

edit on 30-10-2012 by khimbar because: (no reason given)

And none of the cheek either, you young whipper snapper. In my day...............

Young?! Why thank you!

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Lets see:
Over 34 dead right now, still finding folks. They wont know the toll on homeless until they drain several tunnels and catchways.
fires in many places, one just TODAY (Tuesday) in a flooded part of Queens destroyed 100 homes.
NYUT Hospital evaced several hundred patients.. including dying babies in NICU/PICU on battery powered respirators
Standing water in tunnels
More than 8.2 million without power.. that includes hospices, hospitals, nursing homes, etc...
FLooded and unusable emergency vehicles and equipment
More than 15,000 flights cancelled
NYstock exchange closed for the second day... hasnt happened in 100 yrs.
countless jobs lost.
Countless shipments disrupted
Nuke plants threatened, including the oldest built nuke plant.
Infrastructure destroyed in many areas.. unknown when it will be repaired or replaced.
ETCETERA, etc, etc, Everything wont be known for days, weeks, months.. by then youll be diustracted by somethig else while these people are still experiencing personal Armageddon. Isnt sounding real overhyped to me so far.

Im a survivor of Andrew and Mitch, I wasnt there for Katrina, though family was. You cant compare and it sounds absurd to play the "my storm is worse than yours" because its apples and oranges. You sound moronic. One small point thats overlooked yet the most important is that in the Gulf.. we are mentally prepared from birth for killer hurricanes.. and we handle it. In NY.. no one is prepared. Some of the ATSers are sick puppies. They NEED to see bodies floating. They NEED to see sickness, destruction and death.. to feel like they got their monies worth on the show they watch called "the news"... really screwed up psychology IMO. Freaking sick.

edit on 30-10-2012 by Advantage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by GaiusMarius
I am not paying any attention to American Media in relation to natural events from this point on.

Then if you live in the USA .. you'll get the Darwin Award. Fine by me.

And the politicians just love this stuff dont they? Makes it seem like they are actually doing something.

Both Obama and Romney have behaved very well (so far) with this disaster.
All the gov's of the states effected have done a very good job.

You get off the damn beach Chris Christie!

When Chris Christie said that the people on the beaches during a hurricane were IDIOTS .. he was right! They are idiots and they put 1st responders at risk. I applaud him for calling it like it was ... they were freak'n idiots. KUDOS to Chris Christie on that!

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starwise

Originally posted by JeZeus
LIVE REPORT ON SKY NEWS (uk)

They`re using "FEMA FOOD" , i dont like where this is going ..... why mention FEMA so soon ?

FEMA Food AND the Red Cross is setting up Soup Kitchens....

Surely this is a good thing? Are they not there for disaster relief?

I agree, food is good!!

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I would rather be prepared and wrong than not.

While the storm was devastating to NY and NJ, the effects here in Pittsburgh were mild...so far.

I was looking for a complete shutdown in electricity, but, when I would have expected a loss of electricity for a day or two, we didn't get as much as a flicker. Makes no sense to me though, as the electric company has outages on a clear sunny day, but 40mph gusts? Nothing.

Weird.

Bottom line, my wife and kids and I enjoyed a quite evening at home in front of the idiot box watching the reports. Nothing like seeing Willard Scott out there making his mark LOL

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
North Western Virginia here...Winchester area.

Last night was a wild ride! We had gusts in the upper 60's to 70's and sustained winds in the 40's. I live halfway up a mountain so flooding wasn't a concern. My mailbox is down at the bottom of the mountain, about 2 miles away. As I went to get mail this morning, the subdivision looked like a war zone. Trees down all over the place, trash and debris strewn everywhere.

Our power flashed on and off all through the night, but we basically dodged a bullet and came through relatively unscathed. My internet came back this morning but the cloud cover is still so thick, I can't get a signal on DirectTV. (The downside of living out in the sticks is no wired cable or internet so everything is wireless or satellite).

I also get a little peeved at folks downplaying this storm. People have lost their homes, their cars, and some have lost their lives. I'm not sure what it takes to get people to have a little compassion other than maybe take them and drop them in the middle of it and laugh as you pull away. Perhaps the next time they will remember what it was like and that it is not a scoffing matter.

Sure, the media hypes the crap out of stuff. I went to the grocery store Sunday night and the shelves were stripped....craziness. BUT...the media has an obligation to rattle people's trees a little bit. If they didn't "over" hype things, most of the sheep and drones wouldn't pay attention or be prepared. If the "hype" saved just one life...then they did a good thing. Those that don't want to "hear the hype"...I suggest you tune into "Swamp people", American Pickers or Pawn Stars".

edit on 10/30/2012 by Jeremiah65 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I think the term over hyped is totally subjective. I watched TV and read blogs all night long
so forgive me if my words are not as articulate as I wish. I found that my opinions and judgements were a reflection of the reactions of TWC staff on the beaches, and news casters etc....Some of them at times would literally over dramatize; for example, a wave....OMG it came over my boots now!!!
It was little things like that that was very annoying.........

Now when I saw with my own eyes the waters flooding NJ and NYC for example, I knew the ramifications, that's when I knew how bad it truly was!!! I found myself worrying for those ATSers who I knew lived in the path!

The infrastructure of our nations economic hub is in ruins!! This storm has made history! THIS IS MOST DETRIMENTAL TO THE COUNTRY! If anyone thinks otherwise, they are clueless!

Anyone who states that this storm was not a big deal, I would have some choice words for you!!
People have lost their lives and YES THIS STORM WAS and STILL IS DEVASTATING!!!!!!!

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wheelindiehl
reply to post by phroziac

Yes, I-90 indeed, and no, this is not NJ or NY it's Cleveland, Ohio...this was last night, this morning was worse, the waves were monstrous...

fox8.com...

Yeah, im very familiar with i90 in cleveland, the only interstate highway where ive seen waves spraying water into the road......must be a huge mess. Truckers with hazmat arent allowed there because of thr possible consequences of a spill..

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
loads of people are shopping, going out, getting take out, etc where I am in southern new england and we were supposed to be blown away

once again, the permabear negative ninnies are wrong again. unless you were directly in the cone in NJ/NYC there is nothing special about this storm

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by SuperTripps

once again, the permabear negative ninnies are wrong again. unless you were directly in the cone in NJ/NYC there is nothing special about this storm

Cute, you can go and say that to the millions without power, or the parents of dying babies who had to be evacuated into the cold streets from the flooded hospital. Or to the firecrews who haven't slept for 24 hours and are pulling corpses out of the rivers. Or the people who were crushed by trees, or the people electrocuted in the water when the power lines fell down.

These negative ninnies would probably love to here that when they are desperately trying to contact missing relatives and they can't because the emergency service lines are jammed and they cannot recharge their phones, nor can they get across the city because the bridges and tunnels are closed and flooded, and the subway in some parts has been ruined.

Perspective, kid.

edit on 30-10-2012 by mr-lizard because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   

This was I believe the Biggest Sized Storm we have recorded.
It did deserve the Attention it recieved as the Potential for Disaster was there.
The fact that it didn't destroy at its Full Potential is a Great thing.
It is always better to Over Prepare.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Sandy is the rehearsal for the main event. In the first five months of 2013, there will be a global coastal water event, that will see water moving inland, from the ocean 200 miles. The hardest hit areas will be +/-30 degrees latitude. Whatever you may have gleaned from Sandy, you will have plenty of opportunity to use in 2013, when things get much more serious.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by sprtpilot

It was over hyped to make people serious about it. As a comment I made in another post, if they made it a no big deal situation then people would just shrug it off and wouldn't of taken precautions. There would be much more fatalities and the subway might of still be ongoing which indeed flooded. The pressure was 940 mb which is very rare and low covering what a 400 mi radius? We felt the affects of 50 mph winds here in Indiana. It didn't cause a doomsday event but for many affected it probably feels like it.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   

ALL I know...my power is back on within 18 hours....hurricane irene i was out 2 days

dam right its been overhyped / this was supposed to wipe ius into the stone age

Continue with that kind of thinking- however, there are plenty of people (outside of your tiny demographic) who are greatly affected by this storm. Instead of complaining that you weren't hit hard enough, or "wiped into the stone age", be grateful and at the same time think of those who lost everything. Everything

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Tw0Sides

yes, but they warned people up to a week in advance..and no one is talking about all the damage it didn't do

they just keep harping on the damage it did do

well no crap, the breadth of the storm was amazing. and hence i am flabberghasted no one is pointing out all the damage it didnt do

I knew this storm was hyped from the beginning and when i found out the winds were much lower than real hurricanes

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by SuperTripps

yes, but they warned people up to a week in advance..and no one is talking about all the damage it didn't do

Because something not happening is not news.

they just keep harping on the damage it did do

Because something happening is news.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Ill be surprised if the death toll gets anywhere near as large as Katrina (fingers crossed).

IMO i dont think the two are comparable.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

30 people died - there really is NO NEWS here of utter importance

it was only hyped because of the population zone and nyc

and yet after all this barely any deaths

lots of happy, ALIVE people , who will go back to work and live their lives though and have no need for a doom and gloom thread like this

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Here's a novel idea for those who feel harassed by all the media coverage and "hype".... turn off the television. TURN OFF THE TELEVISION. And while you are at it, don't rely on Twitter and Facebook for your news.

Just because the entire east coast didn't disappear into the sea like some badass disaster fiction, does not mean that there are no lingering effects from this (not to mention the initial effects).

Try an experiment. Turn off your TV. Just turn it the frick off. Leave it off for a week. Listen only to the radio for your news instead. You will be pleasantly surprised that a massive and cumbersome burden of constant media hype and fake drama has been lifted. No longer must you be a slave to the sea of talking "experts" spouting their various opinions. You are getting very little... NEWS amongst those fifty million channels of slop... and a buttload of OPINION and supposition. The storm is not the issue. An unhealthy dependance and addiction to corporate media is the true problem.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by SuperTripps

And lots of people will suffer from those loved ones and damages to get their home or business back up again (not including things that can never be replaced) It was over hyped because it was a rare hurricane at the lowest recorded pressure for that area (940 MB) with a big population extending over 400 mi. We had 50 mph winds here in Indiana from this storm. They can't predict the future, they can only see what is happening at the time and at the time, it was massive. They over hype to keep peoples attention and make them serious of a potentially dangerous storm. Thanks to the media, they prevent more possible deaths and damages.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join