It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For those of you calling Sandy not a big deal...

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Again, not sure why the SOHO website is down but found this:

www.swpc.noaa.gov...

3 day solar weather forecast.......It is saying November 1st is going to be a DOOZY!

Scroll down to the bottom of the chart where you find these:

# Probability of Geomagnetic conditions at Middle Latitude
and
# Probability of Geomagnetic conditions at High Latitudes

The sun must have just thrown something BIG at us!

edit on 30-10-2012 by Pervius because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5
It was hyped a wee bit and I'm afraid to say had you been in Queensland Australia early 2011, you'll see "Hurricane" Sandy is a walk in the park.

you tell em mate
we had water up to our grandmothers lips mates
kangaroos were all like wtf mate look at all this
we saw steve irwin surfing and had crocs nippings at are feet

CRIKEY U TELL EM MATE
edit on 30-10-2012 by gangdumstyle because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5
It was hyped a wee bit and I'm afraid to say had you been in Queensland Australia early 2011, you'll see "Hurricane" Sandy is a walk in the park.

this morning they said that in new jersey...railroad cars had been blown onto highways, overpasses have been destroyed, subways in new york are down, 7.8 million people with no power, commuter and frieght train tracks have been destroyed. auto highway bridges damaged, train bridges damaged, sanitation and water services are out for millions...yeah.....just a walk in the park

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by detachedindividual

Originally posted by SuperTripps
ALL I know...my power is back on within 18 hours....hurricane irene i was out 2 days

dam right its been overhyped / this was supposed to wipe ius into the stone age

So you're judging the effects of one storm against another based on how long it took to get power back?

Please tell me you're too young to vote.

Actually with our storms, the length of time it takes the utilities to get power back is a very good indicator of how bad the storm was and how much the damage. I am sure you can see why that would be so.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
reply to post by khimbar

I amended the last part of my post and I apologize if I sounded insulting.

No insult taken, we're all allowed our opinion. But thank you for the apology and it's accepted (if that matters)

I understand your point exactly which is why his example of some siding (seriously, what the hell is it? Is it that cladding stuff on the side of houses or guttering stuff?) coming lose and a bit of water coming through a window really isn't such a big deal. People have died. More will probably die.

It reminds me of the media attitude in the UK but on a global scale. Unless it happens in London, it isn't news. Unless it happens in America, it isn't news. And all I'm seeing is NY this, NY that and a bit of flooding that reminds me of the floods in Cumbria a few years back. It's not the end of the world.

Thank you (and I actually mean this sincerely) for the concern for my humanity though. But I think it's long gone. I'm a weary sign of the times...a dumbed down, bred to be egotonic, child of the system.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by khimbar

Holy crap, some of you people just don't get it...this isn't about me, nor my Aunt who had siding (it is sheets of aluminum that cover the wood on a house) blow off, nor Queensland...it is a disaster no matter how a sane, rational person looks at it. Khimbar, I do not understand how you do not see this as a disaster regardless of what regoin, country, planet it is on. Please tell me more about yourself because I have never met a genuine, authentic piece of human waste before, and one that doesn't know what siding is.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

Big storm yes, not fun being without water and electric but it is not as bad as they are saying in terms of damage. It could have been way worse.

The damage to the infrastructure is bad enough. The potential loss of human life is worse still. What you are overlooking is the economic damage caused by disruption to the global economy's nerve center. Finding the funds to repair even the infrastructure will be difficult during a recession. The uncertainty that a multi-day closure of the NYSE will cause in global securities markets is incalculable. This isn't a bad storm swamping your boat dock up at the cabin, it's the Captal of Earth shutting down.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Over-hyped? Anyone that says that knows NOTHING about weather. At no time in recorded history have we seen a storm setup like this one. Noone knew exactly how bad it would be. Assuming that it would be really bad and moving people out the way is EXACTLY what they did and I completely agree with them.

When you have never seen a storm of such magnitude heading straight into a Nor-Easter you assume the worst and protect people. How many people stayed behind during Katrina? How big a mess did that make?

And yes, this storm is/was a beast. It could have been much worse but it is still pretty darn bad in some regions.

Anyone that says this is over-hyped is IMHO a freaking idiot.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
""" Two Earth-directed coronal mass ejections (CMEs)
occurred on 27 October. The CMEs were closely spaced in time and
appeared to be associated with a B9/Sf flare at 27/1235 UTC from
Region 1598. """"

www.swpc.noaa.gov...

"""""""Forecast of Solar and Geomagnetic Activity
29 October - 24 November 2012

Solar activity is expected to be low during the period with a slight
chance for M-class flares during 29 October - 02 November and 15 -
24 November.

High flux levels are expected during 05 - 24 November.

An increase to quiet to unsettled levels is
expected late on 31 October, with a chance for active levels, due to
the arrival of the CMEs observed on 27 October. A further increase
to active levels is expected on 01 November, with a chance for minor
storm periods, as CME effects continue. Field activity is expected
to decrease to unsetttled to active levels on 02 November as CME
effects gradually subside and a coronal hole high-speed stream (CH
HSS) begins to disturb the field. """""""""

The CME's headed to Earth strike on 31 October??? The Xrays already hit us I believe.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

We cannot claim that this is the biggest storm in recorded history since we only got satellite tracking very recently (last few decades).

Recorded history goes back thousands of years. What CAN be confidently said is that this is the biggest storm front to hit the US since satellite tracking. It may seem picky but i assure you there is a huge difference between the two.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

Thank you, that is the exact message I'm trying to relay, couldn't have said it better...will you edit my posts in the future!

Thank you to someone who sees the bigger picture!!

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wheelindiehl
reply to post by khimbar

Holy crap, some of you people just don't get it...this isn't about me, nor my Aunt who had siding (it is sheets of aluminum that cover the wood on a house) blow off, nor Queensland...it is a disaster no matter how a sane, rational person looks at it.

Then why did you bring your Aunt into it as an example?

Khimbar, I do not understand how you do not see this as a disaster regardless of what regoin, country, planet it is on.

I know, I mean look how many times I've said it isn't a disaster! You'd be up a very long time counting the number of times I've said that. It would take days. Oh wait, no. I haven't actually said that at all. I see what you did there you old roister doister you, you're trying to put your words in my mouth. And incorrectly spelled ones at that.

Please tell me more about yourself because I have never met a genuine, authentic piece of human waste before, and one that doesn't know what siding is.

I'm a Sky pirate ninja, full time. In a party of Sky pirate ninjas, we roam the galaxy looking for evil and wherever I find it I combat it. Or thwart it occasionally. There are four of us. One is a half cat, half woman, one is a dwarf and the last is a robot. I'm the tech of the group and the pilot.

We're all ninja though.

I can see though how not knowing that you colonials seem to like to cover your houses with 'aluminum' (whatever that is, is it related to aluminium by any chance?) makes me a piece of 'human waste'. That's a logical progression that no one could deny.

I mean it's good that you've got arguments like this to fall back on to make your point instead of, for example, cheap name calling on the internet, cos I mean if you haven't and you resort to cheap name calling on the internet you'd look like a bit of a dickhead.

Phew huh? That was close.

edit on 30-10-2012 by khimbar because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

Hurricane Sandy killed more people in the Carribbean, not exactly economically wealthy and alot poorer than those in the USA.

Pull together and stop whining, there are billions of people outside the USA alot worse off than you Americans 100 fold; grab a mop and start cleaning up!

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by khimbar

i mentioned my Aunt to show there is wind damage as far away as lil' ol' Ohio...I'm calling it a disaster, you are disagreeing and sorry eye Mls=5pell3d reegun...I see wit, sarcasm and negativity are your specialty, I never use name calling, "dickhead" would be name calling my son, I was simply describing your kind.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   

reply to post by khimbar

i mentioned my Aunt to show there is wind damage as far away as lil' ol' Ohio...I'm calling it a disaster, you are disagreeing and sorry eye Mls=5pell3d reegun...I see wit, sarcasm and negativity are your specialty, I never use name calling, "dickhead" would be name calling my son, I was simply describing your kind.

Please show, with evidence from my postings, where I've disagreed with you and specifically said this is not a disaster? Thank you.

And I didn't call you a dickhead. I pointed out that, for example, if someone were to have no argument to make and merely resort to calling someone 'human waste', then they'd look like a dickhead. Still, if you think the cap fits, feel free to wear it.

You can call me all the names you want, but you'd think you'd at least have the courage to own up to it, I really don't care. Aah, now on the internet even the keyboard warriors are such cowards without the courage to back up their convictions.

Now you've made me special foe or whatever it is, do we get to duel? Do I get to name the place or the weapons?

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by DJW001
reply to post by Char-Lee

Big storm yes, not fun being without water and electric but it is not as bad as they are saying in terms of damage. It could have been way worse.

The damage to the infrastructure is bad enough. The potential loss of human life is worse still. What you are overlooking is the economic damage caused by disruption to the global economy's nerve center. Finding the funds to repair even the infrastructure will be difficult during a recession. The uncertainty that a multi-day closure of the NYSE will cause in global securities markets is incalculable. This isn't a bad storm swamping your boat dock up at the cabin, it's the Captal of Earth shutting down.

True, although the CNN news this morning said that often more money is made after these storms and disasters then the initial cost in jobs and industry having to do with the cleanup.

They said it not me.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by bluemirage5

Hurricane Sandy killed more people in the Carribbean, not exactly economically wealthy and alot poorer than those in the USA.

Pull together and stop whining, there are billions of people outside the USA alot worse off than you Americans 100 fold; grab a mop and start cleaning up!

You miss the point entirely. It is indeed sad that so many others suffered in the wake of this hurricane. I'm sure the loss of life and relative infrastructure damage to the US Northern Seaboard is much less than that elsewhere. The problem is, when New York suffers, the rest of the world suffers. Orders from factories all over the world, orders vital to the income of the people who work in them, will not get placed. Because of global connectivity, for better or worse, when New York suffers, the world suffers. Factories in China may shut down because a corporation based in New York cannot order any more widgets this quarter. The Russian Federation cannot count on its customers in Europe, which are subsidiaries of corporations headquartered in New York or which do business with such corporations, placing the expected orders for natural gas, on which their economy is based. This hurricane has tossed everything up into the air.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Khimbar and Wheelindiehl,

Now now, calm down chaps (or chappesses). Keep it civil or its off to bed with no dinner. And i am taking your toys away. For a week.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian

Now now, calm down chaps (or chappesses). Keep it civil or its off to bed with no dinner. And i am taking your toys away. For a week.

Yes boss.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by khimbar

Originally posted by Flavian

Yes boss.

And none of the cheek either, you young whipper snapper. In my day...............

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join