It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bergen County, NJ Levee Break: THOUSANDS require rescue!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 05:02 AM
link   

Rescue efforts through the night in Moonachie, Little Ferry, Carlstadt after levee breaks

A massive effort to rescue thousands of people continued through the night in Bergen County, where a levee break flooded Moonachie and parts of Carlstadt and Little Ferry, bringing rescuers from the National Guard, the New Jersey State Police, the Bergen County Police Department’s Water Search & Recovery Unit and all available personnel and equipment from the Bergen County Sheriff’s Office.

This is very serious.

Looking for more sources...

ETA:

Levee breaks in Northern New Jersey, floods three towns

NEW YORK (Reuters) - A levee broke in northern New Jersey on Tuesday, flooding the towns of Moonachie, Little Ferry and Carlstadt with 4 to 5 feet of water in the wake of Hurricane Sandy, officials told Reuters.

"We are in rescue mode," said Jeanne Baratta, chief of the Bergen County Executive. There were no reports of fatalities as of yet, she said.

Baratta said the three towns had been "devastated" by the flood of water. The break comes after Sandy, which dropped below hurricane status just before it hit the U.S. East Coast on Monday, flooded parts of New Jersey and New York City.

ETA, one more:

Moonachie slammed when North Bergen levee breaks, evacuations underway

A evacuation is underway in Moonachie after a levee broke early Tuesday morning.

The entire borough is underwater and hundreds of people are being evacuated, according to Jeanne Baratta, chief of staff for the Bergen County executive.

In a trailer park in one part of the borough, people have had to climb onto the roofs of their trailers to await rescue, Baratta said.

There are no reports of any injuries or deaths, she said.

Boats and high-water vehicles are being brought in from other municipalities to assist in the rescue. Parts of Little Ferry and Carlstadt are also affected, Baratta said, and the number of people needing evacuation could eventually exceed 1,000.

Moonachie “has lost their fire department, their police department and their municipal building,” Baratta said.

The National Guard, the State Police and local agencies are helping in the evacuation, which has been going on for hours and is expected to continue for hours more.

The levee’s exact location within Moonachie, a borough near the Hackensack River, was not immediately available.

Sgt. Adam Grossman, a State Police spokesman, said the levee broke around 12:30 a.m., although Baratta said it was sometime later than that.

edit on 30-10-2012 by loam because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-10-2012 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 05:26 AM
link   
It's gonna be a looooong loooooong day for millions of people. My prayers to them all.

Breaking News

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 05:31 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

My Prayers to all in the danger areas. I was hoping there wouldn't be any situations like this. Too many memories of Katrina come to mind. Stay safe all. Some very brave folks in rescue efforts. I wish there was something I could do to help. I'm sure their local Red Cross can use all the donations that come their way.

First mention of it now on FOX News.

Des

edit on 30-10-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 05:53 AM
link   
I mentioned this in another thread but since there's a proper one for it now...

From everything I've read, police are not telling where the evacuees are being taken. I really want to know that these people arrive at a safe location and, more importantly, leave that location. I know this is an important event happening right now but this is still a conspiracy site.

Large groups of people being taken to undisclosed locations...
edit on 30-10-2012 by Noncents because: Changed a word.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 06:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Noncents

It's a conspiracy site, indeed... let me add though that after listening to the police radios in different areas all night, I'm not sure the cops even know where they are taking anyone until they get someone on the radio en-route. They're running on empty and been running non-stop at 150% all evening and all morning.

If someone cries foul on missing people in a day or two? I'd sit up... right now..there are dead, injured and at least 3 cities flooded in Jersey, 50 homes gone in just one fire alone in NYC and inland? This is still just starting. Interstates in W.V. are closed for ice and snow... It's just insane.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 06:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Noncents
I mentioned this in another thread but since there's a proper one for it now...

From everything I've read, police are not telling where the evacuees are being taken. I really want to know that these people arrive at a safe location and, more importantly, leave that location. I know this is an important event happening right now but this is still a conspiracy site.

Large groups of people being taken to undisclosed locations...
edit on 30-10-2012 by Noncents because: Changed a word.

It's a tense and rapidly changing situation under extremely harsh conditions. Just that people are being rescued, from locations, that can even be reached, is a good thing. They, I'm sure are being taken to the closest locations that can handle the influx of people in extreme shock, and many with medical needs. No one is trying to keep anything secret...they are just trying to save lives, as best they can. I saw your other post asking the same thing. You should be Praying that all who need rescuing, get it. jmoho....

Des

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 06:08 AM
link   
I know they're likely not hiding anything intentionally. I just want to get it out there in advance that police haven't said where people are being taken. Hopefully get a few people paying attention. There's so much going on it's going to be easy to overlook something since most of us aren't involved directly.

I'd hate for the something overlooked to be people. Also, please don't think that because I'm considering all sides that I care any less about those in rough times right now. It's just that, well, you know, conspiracy theory.
edit on 30-10-2012 by Noncents because: Added a bit more.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Noncents
I know they're likely not hiding anything intentionally. I just want to get it out there in advance that police haven't said where people are being taken. Hopefully get a few people paying attention. There's so much going on it's going to be easy to overlook something since most of us aren't involved directly.

I'd hate for the something overlooked to be people. Also, please don't think that because I'm considering all sides that I care any less about those in rough times right now. It's just that, well, you know, conspiracy theory.
edit on 30-10-2012 by Noncents because: (no reason given)

Here, this may help you keep it in perspective. The live radio scanner for the NY Fire Dept. You can hear, first hand, the absolute chaos, frustration, and total exhaustion of some of those trying to help so many in need. It's heart breaking. So many fires and floods trapping people, that can't even be reached. Pray for them all. They really need all the Prayers they can get. Bless you for your concern, and caring.

www.radioreference.com...

Des

top topics

join