It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to Keep Your Smartphone Battery Going During Hurricane Sandy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 01:20 AM
link   
For all those caught up in "the big one". Here are some tips I came across to help you conserve your battery life on your cell phone. It may be a while till you get power guys?

Some obvious, some not so..........

Be safe.

www.wired.com...

and for those who dont want the pretty pictures:

With Hurricane Sandy bearing down on the eastern seaboard, millions of smartphone owners will be left without a way to recharge the battery that keeps them connected to the world. But if you can read this, here are a few tips to make sure you squeeze as much as possible out of your battery until you can get to a functioning outlet again.

•Turn the display brightness down much as you can while still being able to make things out. The dimmer the better.

•Say goodbye to Bluetooth. It sucks battery like no tomorrow and a natural disaster. So no Jamboxing your Storm Party playlist.

•The power is out. That Wi-Fi connection isn’t doing you any good. Turn it off.

•Unless you really need to include your location in those Instagram photos of the water rushing down your street, turn off location services.

•Turn off push notifications, too. People will understand if they’re not getting immediate e-mail responses from you right now.

•Go back to 2G. Staying on 3G, 4G or LTE sucks battery faster than you can stream your 30th viewing of “Gangnam Style”. If your smartphone gives your the ability to use the 2G network, do it.

•Use Airplane mode. I did this to my iPhone 4s on a two-and-a-half-day camping trip once and got home with juice to spare, even though I’d been taking pictures and listening to music out in the wilds. If you don’t need to make a call, this is your best play for saving battery life, especially if you’ve also dimmed the screen.

•If you’ve still got power, plug in your laptop so you can use it to charge your phone. In situations like this, mobility and connectivity trump the laptop. Use it as a giant battery.

•Adjust your usage. Obviously. Going a couple of days with only minimal Facebook and Letterpress time will be worth it when you’re able to phone your mom two days into the blackout.

Put the phone away and read a book!!!

edit on 30-10-2012 by CaptainBeno because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 02:23 AM
link   
I bought a 400 Watt inverter off of eBay for $21.

If you have a vehicle, then you can bring your car battery inside and use it to recharge your phone several times.

But di not run to much off of it because the battery is not a deep cycle and it can go dead fast.

Last winter we lost power and I did this. I ran a small radio and two phone chargers for several hours.

Now I have a deep cycle battery and it lasts longer. You can always use your car to recharge the battery. Just do not let it go dead. You need it to start the vehicle.

That is if you have the resources though.

It is a simple short term solution that costs under $100. I have my deep cycle in the back room charged and ready.

I was the only one in my neighbor Hood with a light on when a thunderstorm knocked out the power a couple of months ago. I had one 20watt energy saver bulb, .8 amp small fan(short bursts), radio, and phone chargers at my disposal.

Just an idea for you if you have the extra cash after the storm. I love it.

I also have a few five and ten Watt solar panels to recharge the battery. You have to wait for the storm to be over though.
edit on 30-10-2012 by liejunkie01 because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-10-2012 by liejunkie01 because: phone spelling

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 02:34 AM
link   
reply to post by liejunkie01

Available are small, size of ipod external usb batteries, with more power than a 12 cell laptop. A couple of these, charged with your methods, or even from your pre charged deep cell allows for super portable usb power. Large fold out panels could take a day to charge these from the sun.
Great for those who like to take their devices camping sometimes.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 02:49 AM
link   
reply to post by ecapsretuo

Yes that would work great.

I forgot to add that if one does not really ha e the cash for a new car battery that you can purchase a used car battery from a junk yard for $20. I just took my sister to get one a few weeks ago.

So for about $40 or $50 you can have a pretty simple setup. I currently have about 40 Watts of 5 and10 Watt solar panels. The thing is that you have to run less amps(or watts) than you charge with. If you allow the battery to go completely dead it will take forever to charge. You could go buy a $10 set of jumper cables and recharge your purchased battery with your vehicle. It will burn a little gas but I think it is worth it to have a phone and options. You can even plug in the inverter when you car is running to run a few things to get a little more gas milage.

Just some ideas that might help someone. I know it made me feel good when I had a light on in and the radio going.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 03:13 AM
link   
reply to post by liejunkie01

I lived at a place with a very simple solar setup. Six deepcells to an inverter in the house. You are right. The batteries charge needed to be maintained above about 50%, or else the batteries would lose their ability to retain a charge. The batteries were charged by a small generator, run for a few hours, and as they aged, I needed to more and more so supplement them with gas power..still, even a weak battery or battery set is a good energy reservoir to
have between your gas power and AC inverter. Some generators have an AC inverter built in, great for using power tools in the woods

yes man great ideas to help someone. A lot of folks in the woods out here have lived comfortably without being on the grid. It can take time to learn some of the tricks.
edit on 30-10-2012 by ecapsretuo because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-10-2012 by ecapsretuo because: correction

top topics

join