It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you think Obama will declare Martial Law / State of Emergency after Sandy ?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by conspiracytheoristIAM
I'm going to see your martial law possibility and raise the question ; what if they suspend the election on Nov. 6th, because so many people would be denied an opportunity to vote due to loss of electricity ?

You mean it would be a sandy election, as opposed to a muddy election? lol Yes, they created a storm to knock out electricity so the Presidential TV-show race would be delayed for a few days, because............................................................................................................................................... ................................I have no clue! lol

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by trysts

I'm going to see your martial law possibility and raise the question ; what if they suspend the election on Nov. 6th, because so many people would be denied an opportunity to vote due to loss of electricity ?

You mean it would be a sandy election, as opposed to a muddy election? lol Yes, they created a storm to knock out electricity so the Presidential TV-show race would be delayed for a few days, because............................................................................................................................................... ................................I have no clue! lol

Good question .. how many thinks that Obama will delay the election because of Sandy ?
many will obviously not be able to vote .. would be unfair at this point not to delay it a bit
edit on 10/29/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   
I don't think Sandy will become a major problem if the president does his job.

Sandy unlikely to damage US economy, analysts say By CHRISTOPHER S. RUGABER and MARTIN CRUTSINGER

Your Question: Good question .. how many thinks that Obama will delay the election because of Sandy ?

My Answer: Replace Sandy with "internal polling."

Originally posted by Ben81

Good question .. how many thinks that Obama will delay the election because of Sandy ?
many will obviously not be able to vote .. would be unfair at this point not to delay it a bit
edit on 10/29/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   

They've a week to restore power, that shouldn't be much of an issue.

Barring that... what's wrong with a piece of paper that says "Vote for President/Senator/Representative" and letting people write in whoever they want? Yeah, it might add a few days to the count, but who cares?

At the very least, spare those of us in non-affected states further adverts promoting one side or the other, lol.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Even though Adjensen is going to slap you and I after I back you up on this, oh well. It just seems that this storm has lived up to all the hype and we'll know a whole lot more by morning. After Katrina, New Orleans lost all law and order in three days and that was one city, this is devastating many cities affecting over 60 million people. I'm sure they've learned from Katrina and are planning better for this, but the scale of it is overwhelming, so Obama may declare something, and if there are still problems come next week you can bet Obama may decide to use some executive order to suspend elections until things are restored to normal. It was already mentioned in a post that governors use the National Guard and not for law enforcement but Obama can and will if law and order breaks down. In three days, NYPD may walk away, then what? I'm in Wisconsin but I'm listening to the scanner from several lower Manhattan precincts on RadioReference.com, and it sounds pretty scary - many calls for help and the officers can't get to people because of the flooding, fuel and oil in the water, hazardous chemical smells in the air, shots fired, burglaries, stranded city workers they can't get to, a couple of DOA's, an electrocution, and the calls go on, and this just in the past two hours. I'm not saying I know how bad it is there, i don't know how bad the flooding will be compared to what happened in New Orleans, I'm just saying. Who knows how bad this thing is really going to be. One other thing to think about I heard earlier one of the election experts was saying that this storm had a direct hit on the part of the country that is heavily supportive of Obama and he predicts that people will be out of election mode after experiencing this catastrophe. They will be lethargic and may skip voting altogether. Something to think about.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Googled: Can President Postpone Elections

This Came Up First:

The president does not have the constitutional or legal authority to set or change the times of elections in the United States. Constitutionally, this power lies with Congress, as does the authority to delegate the power to postpone elections to the executive branch.

Some History:

During the 2004 presidential election, concerns about possible terrorist actions caused some to question whether the election could be postponed and, if so, by whom. At the time, President Bush and his administration expressed interest in postponing the election in order to circumvent any planned terrorist attacks. However, because the power to postpone elections does not lie with the president or executive branch, the 2004 elections were carried out as scheduled and without incident.

Constitutional Provisions:

The authority to postpone elections, while not specifically addressed by the United States Constitution, is thought by constitutional experts to derive from Section 4 of Article I and Section 1 of Article II of the Constitution. These sections read, respectively: "The Times, Places and Manner of holding Elections for Senators and Representatives, shall be prescribed in each State by the Legislature thereof; but the Congress may at any time by Law make or alter such Regulations, except as to the Place of Chusing Senators" and "The Congress may determine the Time of chusing the Electors, and the Day on which they shall give their Votes; which Day shall be the same throughout the United States." These two sections, according to most constitutional experts, imply that the power to postpone elections rests entirely with Congress.

Read More:

Presidential Power to Postpone Elections By Jessica Hensley

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now My Question:

Does Anyone Here Want The President To Declare Marshall Law?

Martial law From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by riverwild
reply to post by Ben81

Why do you say:

"sadly i think it will be necessary"?

ML for a storm? For what reason?

Sounds like that is what you want! Why?
edit on 29-10-2012 by riverwild because: (no reason given)

Just to many people effected. THing could get nasty and many lives could be lost to gangs and idiots.

You dont want people to die do you?

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by alternateuniverse

Have you seen all the new executive order privileges given to the president in recent years. I believe they could find a way to circumvent constitutional law, especially after he's declared martial law, lol.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 12:34 AM
link   
You ended your post with lol. I take it you want the president to declare martial law after his ineptness to deal with the aftermath of Sandy.

Originally posted by Rezlooper
reply to post by alternateuniverse

Have you seen all the new executive order privileges given to the president in recent years. I believe they could find a way to circumvent constitutional law, especially after he's declared martial law, lol.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 05:46 AM
link   

EDIT :
Just want to point out .. the kind of martial law im talking about is soldiers with no weapons
just their hands to help out the 60 millions affected people

I believe that they will. I don't know what happens over there, but when the state of Queensland (Australia) got hit by floods (covering 99% of the state), the army was sent in to help the population, in conjunction with the Air Force.

Also, when Queensland got hit by the Category 5 Cyclone Yasi last year, the army was sent in to help clear #.

So i will say that it is most likely the army will be sent in.
edit on 30-10-2012 by daaskapital because: sp

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 07:22 AM
link   
My personal opinion is that the military has had about all of Obama as they can tolerate. I don't think they would support BO on a call for martial law.

With TPTB bypassing BO on the Osama take-down and the miserable failure in Libya to protect our people, to include the removal of two high ranking military leaders, I don't think the military would support something of this scale to keep BO in office.

They may be looking for a tank to throw him under.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Oldnslo
My personal opinion is that the military has had about all of Obama as they can tolerate. I don't think they would support BO on a call for martial law.

With TPTB bypassing BO on the Osama take-down and the miserable failure in Libya to protect our people, to include the removal of two high ranking military leaders, I don't think the military would support something of this scale to keep BO in office.

Obama is very popular with the military and its an oddity since he is a Dem. He has dominated Romney in campaign donations from the military. Last election he was close to beating Mcain but did not, either he has gotten even more popular with the military or they really do not like Romney. Either way he easly the best liked President for the military since Reagan.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrSpad

Originally posted by Oldnslo

Obama is very popular with the military and its an oddity since he is a Dem. He has dominated Romney in campaign donations from the military. Last election he was close to beating Mcain but did not, either he has gotten even more popular with the military or they really do not like Romney. Either way he easly the best liked President for the military since Reagan.

No disrespect for military guys, i got a lot a respect for these kids, but IMO our education system has failed them miserably and a lot of younger people are convinced the best way for them is liberal and they just don't know any better. I'm not saying this about the whole generation, but a vast majority has been let down by the education system. Also, in regards to the higher ups in the military, it seems that Obama has put liberal thinkers into all the right positions for him to advance his agenda of cutting down the military. Since when would generals say they don't need this, or they don't need that, and back up a president who wants to cut their budget, personnel, weapons, bases and more. Makes no sense to me. But not all the generals feel this way.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   
It is important to remember that the United States held Presidential elections (that were not delayed) during the Civil War.

It is important to remember that the United States held several Presidential elections without electricity (the elections were not delayed in hopes of the possible invention of electricity)

It is CRITICALLY important that the United States Constitution does not provide any President or Congress the authority to alter the electoral process, actually the United States Constitution explicitly details the process of amending any of the powers, rights, rules included in said founding document of this nation (Not that this has stopped the current or previous administration from altering the Constitution and rights provided by it without following a process the framers wrote into it and the States ratified).

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I think that it IS possible, though not likely, that martial law could be instigated. It all depends on how circumstances play out. Mind you, I don't think Obama would call Martial Law as a means to dictatorial take over.

If the situation were to take an EXTREMELY bad turn- rampant looting, destructive rioting, severe gang type violence, murder, mayhem and chaos- to the point that the combined forces of the police and National Guard couldn't put a dent in all of it, then and only then would there be a call of temporary Martial Law until the situation was under control and the appropriate local forces could handle it by themselves.

I don't find such a situation likely, but as we never know how people are going to act following something so devastating we have to consider that worst case scenarios are a possibility.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by adjensen

Case in point, lol. *slap*

adjensen, block and slap back atcha ! Aren't most of the states affected by Sandy, left leaning politically speaking ?? If there is anyway they are swayed not to vote...loss of power and Diebold won't function...worrying about their families and homes rather than elections...involved in clean-up...involved in rescue ? Think Obama's political machine is going to let a storm block his re-election plans ? They will do whatever it takes to use this storm to their advantage and if that means martial law or putting a hold on the elections, so be it.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by adjensen

Case in point, lol. *slap*

adjensen, block and slap back atcha ! Aren't most of the states affected by Sandy, left leaning politically speaking ?? If there is anyway they are swayed not to vote...loss of power and Diebold won't function...worrying about their families and homes rather than elections...involved in clean-up...involved in rescue ? Think Obama's political machine is going to let a storm block his re-election plans ? They will do whatever it takes to use this storm to their advantage and if that means martial law or putting a hold on the elections, so be it.

I think that, if this were happening next week, the story might be different (though if it requires an act of Congress, as someone said, I'm not sure that would be forthcoming,) but I think it will go off as scheduled, and I'm not alone in that belief.

Although storm damage will likely affect voting, especially early and absentee voting in the Northeast, it is highly unlikely that Election Day itself will be postponed.

For one thing, federal and state officials have a week to clean up and prepare.

There are also legal issues involved. Federal law requires elections to take place on the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November. Any deviation from that plan is likely to lead to lawsuits.

Any mention of delaying the election is also likely to draw intense political protest, especially from President Obama's critics.

The United States has held elections in difficult situations before — including in the middle of the Civil War in 1864, when Abraham Lincoln won re-election over one of his own former generals, George McClellan.

At the White House on Monday, Obama said, "I am not worried at this point about the impact on the election. I'm worried about the impact on families, and I'm worried about the impact on our first responders. I'm worried about the impact on our economy and on transportation."

He added: "The election will take care of itself next week." (Source)

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 02:37 AM
link   
you see why i was worried

Reports of Sandy Looting Begin Trickling In

We didn’t have to wait long for reports of looting in the wake of Hurricane Sandy to start coming in

Earlier today, we covered seemingly the first case of looting in Philadelphia where a suspected looter was caught trapped beneath a collapsed building he’d allegedly attempted to loot, leaving him needing to be rescued by firefighters.

Now more reports are beginning to trickle in.

The Gothamist reported on about a dozen looters ransacking a Brookstone store on Fulton Street in the Manhattan borough earlier today. According to the Gothamist, a security guard on late-night patrol spotted the group with his flashlight, prompting them to scatter. “The looters, some of whom were already wearing the headphones, also absconded with a DVD projector that is usually displayed in the front of the store,” noted writer Christopher Robbins

Also, according to the Queens Chronicle, reports of looting have also come from Howard Beach in the southwestern portion of Queens. Reportedly two banks and a pharmacy were looted forcing the Army National Guard to move in “possibly in an effort to quell the criminal activity.”

Nine looters were also arrested near the Rockaways in Queens stealing from a gas station, a Radio Shack, and a clothing store.

Reports of looting in Brooklyn have also come in. According to the NY Scanner twitter feed, multiple NYPD units were dispatched to the 60 precinct to deal with “Mobs who are looting storefronts in several neighborhoods.”

NYT on Hurricane Sandy: We’re Doomed Without FEMA and Big Government

Hurricane Sandy’s blustery entrance and exit gave the New York Times the opportunity to climb up on its soapbox and celebrate FEMA and large government. It also provided the establishment’s Newspaper of Record the chance to slam Romney for his insincere campaign rhetoric on states’ rights

“It’s an absurd notion, but it’s fully in line with decades of Republican resistance to federal emergency planning. FEMA, created by President Jimmy Carter, was elevated to cabinet rank in the Bill Clinton administration, but was then demoted by President George W. Bush, who neglected it, subsumed it into the Department of Homeland Security, and placed it in the control of political hacks. The disaster of Hurricane Katrina was just waiting to happen,” the Times writes.

Oddly, the Times characterizes FEMA as a “properly functioning federal agency” despite the fact most of its budget has found its way into “black” and classified projects. In short, it is a front for secret government operations. A 1992 study by the Cox Newspapers Group found that during 1982-1992 FEMA’s budgets included only $243 million for disaster relief but $2.9 billion for black ops, according to Harry Helms, author of Inside the Shadow Government: National Emergencies and the Cult of Secrecy.

“Not only is it the most powerful entity in the United States, but it was not even created under Constitutional law by the Congress,” writes Harry V. Martin.

Hate to be right all the time
but Obama need to declare something .. or hell will broke loose in the affected place

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 08:17 AM
link   
I've been hearing countless first hand reports from friends and family on Long Island, NYC and New Jersey who have shared stories about: long (2+ hour) lines at gas stations which they have seen arguments, NYC gas stations who are completely out of gas (essentially to get gas you have to travel about the 30s and the impact on those stations have led many to run dry), the food stores that actually have power are running low on supplies and remember these are just the stories from yesterday. The long speculated notion is that people can go 72 hours void of supplies before the breakdown of that areas society begins, yet we're seeing the beginnings of it on day one.

This doesn't even take into consideration the countless people who live on the north and south shore (not directly on the water but a few blocks from the water) of Long Island who returned to their homes yesterday to be welcomed to 3-4 feet of water on the first floor of their homes rendering their homes destroyed-- while they expected their crawl spaces to flood, they never expected a flood of this magnitude. This doesn't include the fact that the NYC subway system, tunnels leading to/from the city and the commuter rail lines paths to/from Manhattan are being corroded by salt water.

That being said, unless there is a major infrastructure miracle, this situation could easily deteriorate to chaos-- kinda like Escape from New York the home game. Do I think this will happen? Not likely. But did I think the storm would make an unprecedented sharp left turn and have such an impact? No I did not.

While the media is hyping the idea of the election being postponed, we as citizens cannot allow this to happen unless the method for postponement outlined by the US Constitution is followed. If we allow this administration to render the Constitution meaningless once again, then our inalienable rights are no more.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join