It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ex-Navy SEALs Kill 60 Terrorists In Benghazi Consulate Attack

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by pyramid head
reply to post by Flavian

They had gunships on standby in Italy. Those involved in the attack had a laser high-lighting the target for hours with repeated calls for back up. Had a desicion been made the gunship could have destroyed the "target" within an hour. Most special forces have this capability, especially so close to hostil territories. As a former marine, it makes me sick to think they were left to die. There is nothing more soul crushing then being abandoned by the thing you have been willing to die for. Americans were abandoned and so were their family and friends by a cowardly government.

I take your point about the gunships but as you yourself say, they were an hour away. Even if this can be linked back to Obama not doing anything, i would have to say that an hour would have been too long. These situations are generally very fast moving (as i am sure you are aware, given your background).

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 06:52 AM
link   
I hate to interrupt all the John Wayne posturing, but is there any actual proof of this really happening yet?

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

Even if this can be linked back to Obama not doing anything, i would have to say that an hour would have been too long. These situations are generally very fast moving (as i am sure you are aware, given your background).

The fighting lasted seven hours.

The ex-SEALS lasted at least six hours into the fight, ample time to have had aerial weapons platforms onsite.

Especially since the White House, DOD and State Dept all were aware of the fact that is was a terrorist assault almost immediately after the attack began.

This whole thing has a very fishy odor.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Hmm, 7 hours? I find that hard to believe but i guess it is possible. Where did you get the 7 hours bit from, if you don't mind me asking? Was that for the total incident or for the time these 2 guys were trying to defend their countrymen?

I do not see how 2 guys (Special Forces or not) could hold off over 200 for over 7 hours. Aside from anything else, surely sheer numbers would have forced a breach into their safety zones way before 7 hours were up? The reason i bring that up is because (for example) at the Battle of Mirbat there were 7 SAS - this meant they could provide a huge arc of overlapping fire and cover 360 degrees (although very difficult to maintain). Surely 2 would get swamped?

Not really arguing with you, just after a bit more info if you can please?

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 07:34 AM
link   
I'll start by saying that I have the utmost respect for SO forces.

Okay.

Here's some stuff that's mulling around my little brain after reading the entire thread:
* These ex-SEALs were supposedly armed only with what they could muster from the surroundings. Yet they laser painted a target and kept up a seven hour firefight. Sure SEALs are beautifully equipped, but not ex-SEALs. If we are to believe from the 'reports' that these guys picked up some guns that had been dropped, where did the seemingly inexhaustible supply of ammunition come from? I get the whole "one shot, one kill" thing, but surely the enemy combatants would get their heads down sooner or later.
* Comparisons to Mirbat stop at "people being where they really shouldn't be." The SAS at Mirbat were armed to the teeth, and had air support. Sure, they were very brave, but it's a completely different situation.
* In the movie "Red Dawn" are the Wolverines terrorists? Are the Russians brave heroes? Just perspective.
* We still don't have a clear picture of what happened, and what I say above, along with most of the stuff on this thread is pure conjecture.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

As it turned out, only three February 17 Martyrs Brigade members were at the consulate, along with five U.S. security officers. Outmatched, they proved unable to stop scores of militants storming through a gate, firing grenades and using diesel fuel to set fire to the compound. Mr. Stevens sought safety in the living quarters, which became engulfed in flames. A nearby CIA base, identified by the State Department as one of its annexes, sent a rescue team of martyrs brigade members and at least one former Navy SEAL, Tyrone Woods. They collected all the staff they could find amid fires and gunshots, and returned to the annex in armored cars — minus the ambassador, whose whereabouts was unknown. Now close to midnight in Libya, the CIA officers sent urgent radio messages to headquarters in Langley asking for the military to send help, Fox News reported Friday. It said the CIA had ordered the officers not to attempt the rescue, but they went anyway. No military help was sent. An unmanned spy aircraft, whose video signal could be relayed to policymakers in Washington, buzzed overhead during part of the raid. The House Oversight and Government Reform Committee says a 50-minute recording exists, but it has not been provided to Congress. At the White House during the attack, President Obama and Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta met in the Oval Office. Seven hours later, a rescue contingent from Tripoli, with Libyan personnel, made its way from the airport to the annex, which then came under mortar fire.

Washington Times

Fox News has covered this too, along with the House hearings that have been investigating it.

From the Fox article:

They were killed by a mortar shell at 4 a.m. Libyan time, nearly seven hours after the attack on the consulate began -- a window that represented more than enough time for the U.S. military to send back-up from nearby bases in Europe, according to sources familiar with Special Operations. Four mortars were fired at the annex. The first one struck outside the annex. Three more hit the annex.

edit on 31-10-2012 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Badgered1

I have read that they had laser designators at the annex. The annex is where they were killed by mortar fire, six hours after the fighting at the main compound. Woods and Doherty had evacuated people from the main compound and took them to the annex, where they came under fire again as the terrorists followed them there, and launched the attack using mortars.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Thanks for the response. Interesting that they would have laser designators since they have a very specific use. Not usually a 'defensive' tool at all, and not something you'd have laying around unless you were going to use it. So what were the CIA/PMCs planning? I'm thinking that there must have been a specific target (unrelated to the siege).
It just raises more questions.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   

* In the movie "Red Dawn" are the Wolverines terrorists? Are the Russians brave heroes? Just perspective.

If the Russians were not under a state of war with us and the Wolverines attacked a Russian consulate with automatic weapons, RPG's and mortars.... Yes, the Wolverines would be terrorists.
But that is not how the storyline of the movie went.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Not usually a 'defensive' tool at all, and not something you'd have laying around unless you were going to use it.
Usually not, unless you are pinned down in a firefight and need the assistance of a very accurate air strike.

My guess would be that the CIA had them for the purpose of targeting known terrorists for air strikes, like they have been doing in Afghhanistan and Pakistan.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   
I read where the building had drop down iron bars and or windows. There were also other barriers. Also the compound area was 300yards long by 100 yards wide. That would be a clear field of fire making in hard to advance without taking wounded or killed. Defensive positions like this are hard to take without high numbers of wounded and killed.

Also of interest.....the fighting started 1 hour after a Turkish diplomat left the compound area. Dont think the folks at Benghazi like the Turks very much. Maybe they feared that Benghazi was about to be turned over to their old Turkish overlords. I dont know for sure but it is an interesting fact.
edit on 31-10-2012 by Logarock because: n

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by redbarron626

And what you expect the propaganda media to report on real issues?

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by FraternitasSaturni

Originally posted by Xatnys

Silent
Elite
And
Lethal

X

Or it could be just... Sea, Air,(and) Land.

I don't know... what do you think?

Mine was speaking in reverence of them, not describing the meaning of the anagram, which anyone can grab off wiki.

Thanks for floppin out the douche though, awesome.

X

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Eventually, these two courageous men were overwhelmed by the sheer numbers brought against them, an enemy force numbering between 100 to 200 attackers which came in two waves. But the stunning part of the story is that Tyrone Woods and Glen Doherty killed 60 of the attacking force. Once the compound was overrun, the attackers were incensed to discover that just two men had inflicted so much death and destruction.

Source:
investordiscussionboard.com...

I'll take this story with a large grain of salt.
We've been duped by similar "hero" stories.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

They watched the battle in the "stiuation" room for several hours, the battle itself lasted 8. This is their job, to make tough decisions in a timely manner, there is no excuse. If this was the military, people would be getting relieved of command, mabey even court marshalled. I have personally witnessed it happen. Its funny on the easy decision like osama, we get situation room photo ops, details, and quick decisions, on the politically difficult ones we get dead seals, state department members and a sh$%load of excuses. What happened seems pretty clear cut.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by trysts
This is a bunch of BS propaganda, with a bunch weirdos acting like killing people is heroic.

BS propaganda in who's favor? What are you afraid of kids looking up to these guys who gave their lives trying to protect American citizens? Sure as hell isn't a move to make the government look good. If you remember the government were the ones letting it happen and tried to cover it all up. These guys were absolutely heroes, but you're head is so far up your own butt with your righteous holier-than-thou attitude. To spit on the corpses of these men as you did when they were trying to do what the military is actually there for is disgusting. Whether the story is true or not, it's the principle of what they did that matters most.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Doherty and Woods were two of eleven consulate security personnel (along with some local militia security) between the consulate and annex. While i'm sure they took out some of the attackers, i highly doubt they took out 60 as has been said. I'm sure they fought bravely, however let's not deify them quite yet.

Some reinforcements also flew in from the Tripoli embassy as well. That is how everyone was eventually evac'd from Benghazi.
edit on 31-10-2012 by bg_socalif because: fat fingers on the keyboard.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Think of what they could have done had they had some better rifles, plenty of ammunition, and some of the other weapons available to most US soldiers. I imagine the waves that came were similar to what was seen in the Mogadishu incident, so killing 60 fighters is quite possible. I think that the sheer fact they charged in to help people they did not even know, with NO weapons, with no real reason to help other than to save people's lives, says that they truly are heroes.

They gave no thought to their own safety, and unfortunately, lost their lives in the process of saving many more. These men are true heroes. Some may say that specops guys are drawn to a fight simply because they crave the adrenaline and action, but these guys are trained to judge situations like this. That means they knew exactly what they were getting themselves in to, and thus they likely knew they were likely to die. That is my take on it anyway. Unlike people who are heroes of circumstance, these guys could have simply walked away from the situation and saved their own lives. But they did not, and that is why they are true heroes, who deserve more than the CMH, which they better get. They weren't soldiers anymore, but they acted as if it was their duty to protect the embassy.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   
BREAKING NEWS: New Memo leaked:

EXCLUSIVE: Memo warned consulate in Libya couldn't withstand 'coordinated attack'

By Catherine Herridge Published October 31, 2012 FoxNews.com Read more: www.foxnews.com...

The U.S. Mission in Benghazi convened an “emergency meeting” less than a month before the assault that killed Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Americans, because Al Qaeda had training camps in Benghazi and the consulate could not defend against a “coordinated attack,” according to a classified cable reviewed by Fox News.

Summarizing an Aug. 15 emergency meeting convened by the U.S. Mission in Benghazi, the Aug. 16 cable marked “SECRET” said that the State Department’s senior security officer, also known as the RSO, did not believe the consulate could be protected. “RSO (Regional Security Officer) expressed concerns with the ability to defend Post in the event of a coordinated attack due to limited manpower, security measures, weapons capabilities, host nation support, and the overall size of the compound,” the cable said.

According to a review of the cable addressed to the Office of the Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, the Emergency Action Committee was also briefed "on the location of approximately ten Islamist militias and AQ training camps within Benghazi … these groups ran the spectrum from Islamist militias, such as the QRF Brigade and Ansar al-Sharia, to ‘Takfirist thugs.’”

Each U.S. mission has a so-called Emergency Action Committee that is responsible for security measures and emergency planning. The details in the cable seemed to foreshadow the deadly Sept. 11 attack on the U.S. compound, which was a coordinated, commando-style assault using direct and indirect fire.

Al Qaeda in North Africa and Ansar al-Sharia, both mentioned in the cable, have since been implicated in the consulate attack. In addition to describing the security situation in Benghazi as “trending negatively,” the cable said explicitly that the mission would ask for more help. “In light of the uncertain security environment, US Mission Benghazi will submit specific requests to US Embassy Tripoli for additional physical security upgrades and staffing needs by separate cover.”

Read more: www.foxnews.com...

MORE STORY AVAILABLE ON LINK:www.foxnews.com...

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   
If this is true then here is two hero's worthy of building a memorial for. Wasn't even their detail but they stood up and made a stand my hat goes off to them both.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join