It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ex-Navy SEALs Kill 60 Terrorists In Benghazi Consulate Attack

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

The ambassador is the embassy.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by MystikMushroom
reply to post by IAMTAT

The problem is ...

It wasn't an embasy. The embasy is in Tripoli.

If the author of that article can't get that fact correct, I am suspect about the other details of the article.

The embassy was in Tripoli. However, Benghazi was the base of operations during the revolution. Since then things haven't simply returned to Tripoli, much is still based in and around Benghazi. Therefore, whilst it may not have been the "official" embassy, it is where the active mission is (possibly was now) currently based.

I hope that helps clear up any misconceptions over there at the moment.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

Two Navy SEALs!...NOT "two people"!

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream
2 people took out 60 "Terrorists"?

What cheat code did they use to get the god mode unlocked?

Seems too good to be true, like something out of a movie.

Unless these "Terrorists" were 10 yr old kids and women.

Many cases of such actions by Special Forces over the last 60 years. As i said before, simply look at the Battle of Mirbat..........and then remember that one of the guys involved at Mirbat carried on fighting for ages after his lower jaw had been blown off.

These guys are something else and must have every cheat code going! Personally, a particularly nasty graze would be enough to keep me out of action!

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Logarock

You're "sort of right". The buildings that were attacked were the consulate.

Now, as to what an embasy is:

Originally, an embassy referred to an ambassador and his staff who were sent by their country to another country’s government to represent and advance the interests of their home country.
Today, an embassy is the nerve center for U.S. affairs inside another nation—the headquarters of the U.S. ambassador and his or her staff.

Diplomancy.gov

Now here's a bit from Wikipedia on the subject:

A permanent diplomatic mission is typically known as an embassy, and the person in charge of the mission is known as an ambassador. The term "embassy" is often used to refer to the building or compound housing an ambassador's offices and staff. Technically, however, "embassy" refers to the diplomatic delegation itself, while the office building in which they work is known as a chancery.

Now what exactly is a consulate?

A consulate is similar to (but not the same as) a diplomatic office, but with focus on dealing with individual persons and businesses, as defined by the Vienna Convention on Consular Relations. A consulate or consulate general is generally a representative of the embassy in locales outside of the capital city.

Wikipedia

I still consider the article not to be accurate in it's nomenclature, however you are correct in your assesment that the building itself is not soley designated the "embassy"

edit on 30-10-2012 by MystikMushroom because: formatting

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   
There is nothing really unbelievable about this overall..not sure what the whole propaganda thing is, a trained elite killer..killed a bunch of people before going down.
Ya, thats sort of what they do. Its why they aren't called just servicemen or soldiers but have a distinction of specops (in this case, seals). 60 between 2..60 unregulated milita.dudes with guns and some extras in essence, ya. well trained seals could easily do that overall.

There is also the reckless in numbers issue...if you join a group of 200 people outside a building, your not on guard. zombies outside make for easy targets just milling around, target rich environment.

I simply want confirmation of numbers overall. Want to know how 60 suddenly came up when pretty much everyone that would talk about is dead.

Here is why I find it a bit of a stretch. If I am in a group of a couple hundred, and seen almost half our numbers go down before we killed even a single person, I would go home...as would most. Hell, after a dozen, people would start questioning the wisdom of these actions.

As far as those wimps on here that are saying such actions aren't heroic..well, your a fool.
For those saying these two men died out of patriotism, your also fools.
These two men were doing their job, and what motivated them outside of their training was saving the people they are meant to protect..not try to save a flag, or any esoteric reason..people. saving people is not patriotic, but it can be heroic.

And to those pansys whom think it isn't heroic..consider their point of view...your friends are being attacked down the street with a mob of 200 people..do you: 1) wish them luck and watch x factor, 2) go in with your buddy and some gear and try to rescue them, knowing it may lead to your death but at least you would try.

That seems to be what their option was..could you do the same?
And now you know why they are heros (even if they killed nobody and simply died in transit)

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

I find your humor offensive, highly trained and disciplined specops, which myself is a former could have easily held off 200 untrained jihaddi's. The only reason they were killed is the lack of air support which was only an hour or so away, there was a total of 4 seals (former) who held off the attackers and made several trips from their CIA annex to the embassy location and returned wsaving numerous lives. Unfortunately our highly trained seals cannot escape mortar fire which eventually killed them as the most favorable postion for them to defend was roof tops. Had they had some air support the c130's or armed drones would have saved their lives.

Your comment comparing these brave men to Brave heart is insulting, but yet myself and many others fight, have foughten, bled and died for idiots like you to have your opinion. I hope someday you find yourself in a position to have to do something that takes moral conviction and the willingness to put it all on the line. Until then I guess I just must respect your right to be a jackazz, after all I did bleed for it.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by IAMTAT
reply to post by luciddream

Two Navy SEALs!...NOT "two people"!

Or as Obama would say "folks" - he even calls al Qaeda terrorists "folks" - go figure.......He often uses it to describe US the American people as well - I never liked it, and I like it even less so now that he also uses it to describe al Qaeda terrorists! At the very least its a poor turn of phrase.
Obama Calls Benghazi Al-Qaeda Linked Terrorists: “Those Folks”

“My biggest priority right now is bringing those folks to justice. And I think the American people have seen that’s a commitment I always keep,” the president said, an apparent reference to the bin Laden raid.

edit on 30-10-2012 by Vitruvian because: txt

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I'm not american but this story still gets me, god bless them boys for defending people who couldn't defend themselves. True heroes.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
This battle lasted 7 hours.
Siganela is only about 500 miles away.
Are we to believe that the US Navy or Airforce cannot scramble two fighter bombers from Italy and get them to that target in 7 hours?
Hogwash.
The only reason that the US military forces in Europe and the med would not have followed through with their reactions is if the Commander in Cheif ordered them to stand down. Once this attack began word went out across alert channels and the lower level military commanders responded by moving forces to the closest state of readiness so that they could act once the President said "GO". They could not give the word to start shooting but they can get the birds in the air and the teams moving.

It does not matter why the Ambassador was in that location or if it was or was not offically the embassy.
The man was STILL the US Ambassador and he was the target of an attack.
It does not matter why the attack took place, it was still an attack.
The presence of US aircraaft overhead would have been a huge deterent to the attackers continuing the assault.
Low level passes even if they did not employ weapons would have sent the signal to head for the hills.
Our CnC would not even authorize THAT!

That this feeble response was not enacted coupled with the muddling of the timeline of events and the attempt to tie this to an obscure film on you tube I have to conclude that this was a set up.
I will not go so far as to say that the admin knew this was going to happen (there is plenty of evidence to support this) but they did not even take the basic steps to stop it once it began. I have to conclude that there was some benefit to the admin to have this man and his team dead.
Were these men part of SEAL team 6?

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Dragoon01

I agree with your post, the 2 former seals were not connected in the Osama Bin Laden death.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Dragoon01

Were these men part of SEAL team 6?
Former SEAL's.
They were civilians at the time of the attack.
They were working for a private firm to provide security for diplomatic personnel.

Woods left the Navy in 2010 after tours in Iraq and Afghanistan. Doherty did tours in Iraq and Afghanistan also.
Source

edit on 30-10-2012 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   
The US armed forces, are nothing to mess around with. These men make me proud to be an American. Say what criticism you will, but it will all come from lesser men that have not risked a thing in this life for anyone else beyond what was comfortable to risk and did not require death as a possible sacrifice.

They volunteered for their final mission, no one asked them there. They chose their death and faced it with honor. They did not run, they did not let die. Take this as an example of what a real human being who has harnessed his emotions can do when he is motivated by his true self and his true ethos. May they inspire us all to live better more appreciative lives of sacrifice for our fellow man.

You two men, you honor us.

Glen Doherty and Tyrone Woods. Your names will be remembered as being of the best sons our nation has brought to the world.

While others ran from the danger, you ran into it. You did so to save the lives of others who could not defend themselves, and saved many of them, though you could not save yourselves.

May your warrior spirits rest in peace, having chosen your time to die, unlike many that live uncertain of when that may be and live in fear of that moment, their entire lives.
You were our shield and our sword, and you did not break and shatter. You held true and made our people stronger for it.

Though I am sure your brothers will miss you, know that we thank you for being able to be an apreciative nation this once in all their honor through you. You are the faceless warriors that keep our fire burning in the dark and our banner held high in the blight of life.

Thank you all. You are our finest, and we your grateful people. May your blade be as true as your soul .

We are with you,

rest in peace knowing you have honored your people and inspired them to take your sword in your absence.

good bye.

edit on 30-10-2012 by manykapao because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by manykapao

Amen. That was beautifully stated, manykapao.
These men represent the very BEST of us...and though they may have died due to the cowardliness of lesser men in power, their heroism stands head and shoulders above the politicians who have their blood on their hands.

I will say it:
These great men died, NOT because they were outnumbered by terrorists, but because a cowardly administration put their own political futures before valiant human lives.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by IAMTAT

TOUCHE" for this reason and this alone Obama should not be re-elected.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
This is getting hilarious... all the chest puffing and bravado, and not any shred of evidence this even happened at all.

But, they were Navy Seals, so it must be true, and even if it's not true, they would have done this as they are so tough!

Never let truth get in the way of a good story though.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   

They killed terrorists. All terrorists deserve death
reply to post by TehSlenderMan

I can't believe you cannot even see your folly, write at the start of your post here.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

Not quite, as SAS forces were allegedly doing the same for NATO aircraft in Libya.

However, since Bin Laden died in 2001, who knows what the heck is happening over there.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Thanks for that link,
I am not completely up to speed on the whole story but I have been getting caught up today.
More and more this looks like the Admin let this happen as a way to close up some loose ends.
I thought the two SEAls may have just been an extra on top of making sure that no one found out about the operation that Stevens was running in Libya

Doing some digging today it appears that yes Stevens may have indeed been checking in on a gun running operation but that there also may have been recruiting and training of personnel to send to Syria via Turkey.

The common conception seems to be that this attack happened at night and thus Obama was not fully aware of the situation. While the attack did indeed happen at night it was not night in Washington.
It was only about 5:00PM EST. There is no ay that Obama was not fully appraised of the situation and capable of turning loose a combat response.
This administration has to answer the question about why it did not.
"Fog of War" Mr. Pannetta is not sufficent an answer. If that is all that you can supply then you need to resign as SecDef NOW!

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
There is nothing really unbelievable about this overall..not sure what the whole propaganda thing is, a trained elite killer..killed a bunch of people before going down.
Ya, thats sort of what they do. Its why they aren't called just servicemen or soldiers but have a distinction of specops (in this case, seals). 60 between 2..60 unregulated milita.dudes with guns and some extras in essence, ya. well trained seals could easily do that overall.

There is also the reckless in numbers issue...if you join a group of 200 people outside a building, your not on guard. zombies outside make for easy targets just milling around, target rich environment.

I simply want confirmation of numbers overall. Want to know how 60 suddenly came up when pretty much everyone that would talk about is dead.

Here is why I find it a bit of a stretch. If I am in a group of a couple hundred, and seen almost half our numbers go down before we killed even a single person, I would go home...as would most. Hell, after a dozen, people would start questioning the wisdom of these actions.

Hay they did go home....to get a mortar.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join