It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How can we take the news seriously? -Reporters in Hurricanes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
It happens every storm. They send out rookie reporters to go and stand out in the midst of hurricane force winds and rain to report that it is windy and raining.

This type of performance is asinine. How is it that people keep taking things seriously when we have idiots who will stand in the wind and rain unnecessarily? Would the news be less important if they simply had a camera insider a hotel or building shooting out the window and having someone narrate the events? Why must they sensationalize news? It makes me sick that the news must be entertainment and not simply information.

I would love to turn on the news and see a reporter standing in a vestibule out of the wind and rain simply showing the weather around him. Such a person would seem to have intelligence and I would trust that stations news more. I have a hard time trusting any news agency who will send its people intentionally into harms way or allow them to pull such stunts.
edit on 29-10-2012 by Wolf321 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
They used to stand out there in stronger hurricanes, the skin on their faces were flapping around. So this isn't that windy in comparison.

It isn't safe to do this but its far more dangerous when they report from war zones.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
What news station was it that had a reporter in a boat over like 1 foot of water while it was a guy in the background WALKING?

Better yet, I want to find the video. Hope someone can find that.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
The thing I find hilarious is they are on the screen, poopooing the people that have stayed despite evacuation orders, and yet... there they are, standing in the middle of it all lol

Just funny lol

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Well....on the flip side of your argument, there's nothing like some news dummy standing out in hurricane-force winds, struggling to stand up, for the viewers to get the "feel" of what it's like there.

I was just watching Al Roker on the Weather Channel, struggling to remain upright as the ocean started sloshing over his boots in Rhode Island. My husband and I were cracking up, reminded of that episode of Family Guy where the "Asian Reporter Trisha Takinawa" is out in a hurricane reporting, and something comes along and smacks her into next Tuesday.

edit on 29-10-2012 by FissionSurplus because: added video

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by violet

It doesn't really matter if the wind is 75mph or 110mph. Its stupid to stand in the middle of it for nothing more than a show.

Being in a war zone is dangerous, but you cannot get news from inside a war zone without reporters there. Having a reporter stand in the wind and rain of a hurricane does not garner any information that could not be obtained from the safety of a building looking out of the window.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Vandettas

I think I know what you're talking about. I was trying to find it too, but I ended up watching another weather reporter getting pissed because everyone was running and driving around him to the point where he started lecturing the camera. Oh gee.

And the whole time I was thinking, you're standing there amongst everyone too. '

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Vandettas

I think you are talking about this coverage of flooding.

Originally posted by Jomina
The thing I find hilarious is they are on the screen, poopooing the people that have stayed despite evacuation orders, and yet... there they are, standing in the middle of it all lol

Exactly!

Sure, I enjoy the laugh of seeing a man tossed a block or two in the wind. But when the guy getting tossed is supposed to be a source of news and I am to have confidence in what they are telling me, it just isn't funny. I end up hoping to see something really bad happen to them. I hope to see the latest recipient of a darwin award live on tv.
edit on 29-10-2012 by Wolf321 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Wolf321

Haven't seen that one before but that too is an example of exaggeration at its worst.

She claims its deeper on the other end...That they (the two people) just walked from without a boat.

The one I was referring to, if I can remember correctly, during the day. The sun was out and there
was a person in the background walking past the canoe on foot.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Well, some people are having fun while reporters are trying to be serious

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Mianeye

Wanted to add this since your link doesn't work anymore, haha:

edit on 17-11-2012 by Jess117 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join