It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need a bit of advice about my job.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Ok as a few of you know I work in a care home and from the 1st day I knew the owners were rubbish because they offered me a contract which said I was contracted to work 6.5 hours a week, but they said you will work more or less full time.
So Iam working full time but If I want to take a week off I only get 6.5 hours holiday pay, I can not afford to take any holidays then
Also one of my co-workers who started the same time as me and got the same contract well she kicked up a fuss about something and when the next rota came out she only had 6.5 hours a week and has now left. (So if you mess with the owners they cut your hours with no notice stating you are only contracted for 6.5 hours a week.
Well last week I applied for a job elsewhere and I gave them my current employers address for a reference, my bosses got the reference and told me If I wanted to get a reference I had to pay them £30 quid which I have not got
Also I just checked my rota and you guessed it they have cut my hours to 6.5 hours a week.

So my question to you all is, Are they doing anything illegal here? or am I just screwed cos if it isn't it is just plain wrong.
Cheers and Oh Iam in the UK.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
So my question to you all is, Are they doing anything illegal here? or am I just screwed cos if it isn't it is just plain wrong. Cheers and Oh Iam in the UK.

Sounds like these guys are underhanded in a number of ways. I think you could make a case in the US, but the UK? Hope there are some people here who are familiar. One thing I would do under the circumstances is to contact the new place and tell them your currrent employer wants to charge you for a reference. That might paint you in a sympathetic light with them.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Yes. They likely violated several labor laws in what you describe.

Find an attorney that specializes in labor law.

Also, if you can call the perspective employer and let them know why you cannot get a referral, that may help. But don't come across as angry, vindictive, accusing, or law suit-happy. That may mark you as a trouble maker. Just keep it simple, as tell them your current employer wants you to pay them for a referral.
edit on 10/29/12 by AnonymousCitizen because: (no reason given)

Just saw your reply below.

Sue the pants off them.
edit on 10/29/12 by AnonymousCitizen because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by schuyler

I rang them today and the job has gone
. I just wanted to know if they can charge me for a reference, I have searched the net today not finding owt.
edit on 29-10-2012 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

link   
That sounds crazy, and totally sleazy, but, hey, you signed the contract in the first place. I don't think you have a leg to stand on, legally.

Of course, media hype and whistleblowing can work wonders.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptChaos

Yeah I signed it cos I needed the job
Other things they do is, I work 13 hours shifts and I know they must provide me with a meal, they do not.
It is a care home not a nursing home and we are not allowed by law to lift anyone up but seeing we have residents who can hardly walk If we didn't lift them they just could not go to the loo etc.
Also I saw how the managers treated one of our residents who had died (like a slab of meat) Iam a bloke and I cryed at that and then they called me Mr emotional....
I really want to leave but I love all my old people and I know I improve their lives.
# I just do not know what to do

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Your employer sounds like they are using the unemployment situation to abuse and rip-off their employees. When jobs are hard to find, the employers become abusive, unethical, and downright dastardly.

This is where labor laws come in.....what the laws are in the UK, I have no clue. That is for you to research.

In the mean time, I would write down everything they have done, including names, dates, etc. When employers are that nasty, in no time at all you should have a sizeable amount of negative information about their activities. Then you can either bust them according to whatever labor laws there are, or you can go to a news outlet and rat them out. Go to either the local paper or local TV news outlet, tell them you have lots of dirt of what's happening at the local care home. Great human interest piece. You could tell them that you cannot be identified for fear of losing your job.

There's nothing like negative publicity and public pressure to get things corrected. If people knew how badly the employees and the patients are being treated, things would change, I guarantee it.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   

I don't know the complete intricacies of the law...but I have to be honest here - its 6.5 hours work so if it was me I would just go work somewhere else. There must be other work available. But that is just me. If you decide to stick with it all power to you.

Otherwise - if you cannot, then just work the contracted 6.5 hours and DONT work 1 minute more, not ever.
If you then face issues with your employers - document everything, and you may well find you have a case for constructive dismissal. But this can be a lengthy process...
Maybe speak to citizens advice bureau, they are very often a great help with employment rights etc.

The other issue - treatment of residents - needs reporting it seems? Who to I don't know, but have a look around for an organisation that over-sees care homes.
edit on 29-10-2012 by facchino because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by facchino

It is the CQC and trust me they are going to get a file on the place soon.
But it is my word v theirs, I need a hidden camera or something.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Not 100% sure about this, but if memory serves me right it is illegal for an employer to say anything bad about you when another employer contacts them for references.
With that in mind, when seeking a new job just tell the new employer that the old employer wants you to pay for a reference.
Give the new employer the address and phone number of your old employer, Being as your still employed by your old employer the new employer should realise your continued employment is a good reference in itself.

And as someone above mentioned, document and report abusive behaviour.
edit on 29-10-2012 by VoidHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

No they have to give an accurate reference meaning if they say you were late for work many times for example they have to show copies of the warning letter etc.
It is a very fine line and most will give a good reference because if they said something you do not agree with it could end up in court and they do not want the bother so they just write up a ok reference.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   

I would go to the citizens advice bureau. It's probably the best way of getting the info you need. Sorry cant be more help, sounds like you've been screwed over. If you think there is some mistreatment going on you should reort it, even f it's for your own peace of mind.

new topics

top topics

join