It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christian and atheist soldiers both pay the ultimate price

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by Kandinsky
reply to post by TrueBrit

Thanks for your post, it was well-expressed.

If a person chooses atheism for that reason, or similar ones, then I cannot see how representation at a remembrance service is going to honour them! Surely it would be a travesty to them?

According to the article and links, they prefer the term of humanist rather than atheist. I do too as atheism (deserved or not) has garnered a reputation of being opposed to religion.

I don't know about England - - but here is all the official USA military - - Emblems of Belief for Placement on Government Headstones and Markers.

There is both a Humanist and Atheist symbol. www.cem.va.gov...

The Humanist one looks pretty cool, the atheist one is kind of dumb, though. If I saw that on a tombstone, I'd think that the person died in a nuclear accident and to watch out for radiation

Surprised there isn't a "Flying Spaghetti Monster" image yet, though I suppose that's in the works.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by adjensen

The Humanist one looks pretty cool, the atheist one is kind of dumb, though. If I saw that on a tombstone, I'd think that the person died in a nuclear accident and to watch out for radiation

Surprised there isn't a "Flying Spaghetti Monster" image yet, though I suppose that's in the works.

There are other Atheist symbols. The government allows people to request other symbols. But they have to be approved.

I like the Atom symbol. Here is what it stands for:

An international symbol for Atheism has long been needed. When American Atheists was formed in 1963, a contemporary scientific symbol was chosen; this acknowledges that only through the use of scientific analysis and free, open inquiry can humankind reach out for a better life.

Recognizing the new atomic era, but also emphasizing the truths of older scientific findings, the atomic whirl was chosen. The atom is still a distinguishing unit of all matter, the smallest particle of an element that can exist and still retain the properties of that element.

You may notice that one of the orbital in our symbol is broken, or open-ended. This demonstrates that while Atheists rely on the scientific method for learning about the cosmos and increasing our knowledge about nature, we know that \not all of the answers are in.\ We recognize that with new knowledge come new questions and areas for human inquiry and exploration.

That open orbital forms an \A\ to represent Atheism. The small letter in the center represents of the first letter of the country in which an affiliated group is located. In our case, the \A\ signifies American, and the symbol thus represents American Atheists.

The American Atheists Logo is a copyrighted. Permission is hereby granted to all who wish to use the logo for any reason other than to defame. For example: tatoos, gravestones, and billboards are acceptable and encouraged, but you may not distort or modify the logo in such a way as to make it negative or inflammatory.

atheists.org...

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 03:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Thanks for that link; I didn't know about grave symbols and found some of them attractive and others humorous. Spock jazz hands!!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/img/em5090e014.JPG[/atsimg]

The infinity one looks good, humanist one not so good (bottom left). The flying heart is an attractive symbol (and tattoo) and so are the Buddhist wheel and Celtic Cross. Although I like the atheist symbol, I think the a is usually lower-case outside of the US.

Ironically, I think the use of symbols to identify oneself with particular groups is best left to religions and teenagers. For instance if atheists were to wear badges defining themselves, I'd be disappointed. It's possible US atheists and those in Europe hold slightly different views regarding the promotion of atheism because, here in England, lack of belief in God is sort of assumed and rarely merits a conversation. I saw this badge on a 4x4 last week

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Although I like the atheist symbol, I think the a is usually lower-case outside of the US.

You are correct. Atheist is not a "proper" word to be capitalized. Logos get creative license

Ironically, I think the use of symbols to identify oneself with particular groups is best left to religions and teenagers. For instance if atheists were to wear badges defining themselves, I'd be disappointed. It's possible US atheists and those in Europe hold slightly different views regarding the promotion of atheism because, here in England, lack of belief in God is sort of assumed and rarely merits a conversation.

Atheist lapel pins -- pendants -- rings -- car stickers etc are available. There are symbols other then the Atom one.

Here in the USA we are fighting Fundamentalist Christians who do think this is a Christian nation - - - when in fact it is secular.

edit on 31-10-2012 by Annee because: DAMN QUOTES!

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Yeah, I noticed all that when I was looking at the atheist symbol on badges.

Each to their own. I'm against fundamentalists and extremists and, at the same time, not keen on being part of a defined group or movement. That isn't to say I don't recognise the importance of some movements (like atheism) only that they don't often appeal to my sensibilities enough to join them.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

Yeah, I noticed all that when I was looking at the atheist symbol on badges.

Each to their own. I'm against fundamentalists and extremists and, at the same time, not keen on being part of a defined group or movement. That isn't to say I don't recognise the importance of some movements (like atheism) only that they don't often appeal to my sensibilities enough to join them.

I don't join things either.

I go hang out with people I enjoy - - no matter their beliefs - - - as long as they don't express any anti-beliefs.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join