It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unknown Depths of Earth....

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I have had this idea for a long time now.....

What is the reason that the depths of the oceans are the least explored place on earth?? Imagine what could be found, Dozens of new species. There must be a real good reason as to why the depths have not been explored.

I vaguely remember an incident in Canada....was it Shag Harbour??....where a radar station tracked an object that appeared to dissapear into the sea off Newfoundland...and was picked up by a secret US sonar station diving to the bottom of the ocean?? (please correct me if i'm wrong...)

I mean scientists are even talking about exploring Europa's (A frozen moon of Jupiter) oceans in the search for extra terrestrial life!

Here come the conspiracy bit......concentrate!!

What if some Governments know of the existance of an ancient alien civilisaton that has lived on Earth for millenia....under the sea?? Hence the reason not to explore the deep ocean...hence the reason for the typical description of aliens to be short, grey skinned thingys with big black eyes....

There is little or no sunlight at the bottom of the ocean, so the skin would not recieve the stimulus for pigmentation.....so its grey....maybe the reason for black eyes is that they do not have an iris...their eyes could just be large pupils to let in as much light as poss....

Anyway, maybe the govts that do know are in contact with the aliens...

my point is that we haven't even explored this planet completely yet and are forever looking upwards to the stars....there must be a reason...

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Hmmm, I dont know about this one, I thnk the main reason that the ocean aint been fully explored is probally down to the fact that the means is not yet available, or the government is not ready to tell us whats at the bottom.

Cos at the end of the day sending people that far unwater is probally harder than into space, cos for each square foot that the object occupies, a certain weight of water rests on top of it....

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Good post! I have often wondered the same thing. Imagine what could be found if the money were directed at it's exploration! Sunken cities, new species! Don't get me wrong, I am a space nut too....but we really should explore our own planet to it's fullest also!

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by racos
Hmmm, I dont know about this one, I thnk the main reason that the ocean aint been fully explored is probally down to the fact that the means is not yet available,

We can go to outer space!? We can't explore the bottom od the oceans

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Yer, but remember, when we leave this planet, gravety no longer has an effect on a object, therefore, structrual ingraty wont need to be as high, as if there was to be a thousand Tonne on a vessal, I think as soon as we build a structure, small enough for exploration but with a high structural intregraty, we will be ready.

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 04:53 PM
link   
er...thanks LadyV!

I just can't understand why there is no investment for the exploration of the oceans...

I mean if we sent someone to Mars you wouldn't just walk around the lander take a cheesy photo and blast off for home!!

The technology must be there somewhere....just think about all of the radiation in space...the hazard of re-entry (easy now!!)...each space suit costs roughly $3million....

i am sure that if we were to think about it, maybe spend the same amount of time (and money!) on exploring downwards as well as upwards, there would be a wealth of artefacts to find.....

like i said someone somewhere knows the answer as to why we don't delve into the unknown on Earth before doing it else where

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Like racos has said, it is very hard to get down far in the ocean. The human body can only take so much. Bubbles form in the veins, and then they are dead.

With bots, a different problem exists. Making them small enough that they don't collapse underneath the weight of tons of water when they get down there, and the sensitive equipment they bring along. That, and if you want a direct video link, you must have the cable to attach to the drone. That is a lot of cable, and it could very possibly snag on something, losing the drone and the data it was collecting.

Once a material is made that is very light, flexible, and strong, I'm sure professors and graduate students will be all over the oppurtunity, but those expeditions still cost lots of money. Something they don't have much access too all the time.

[edit on 20-10-2004 by Kompaktor]

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nerevar
I vaguely remember an incident in Canada....was it Shag Harbour??....where a radar station tracked an object that appeared to dissapear into the sea off Newfoundland...and was picked up by a secret US sonar station diving to the bottom of the ocean?? (please correct me if i'm wrong...)

Actually the "object" broke surface and flew away if you are talking about the Shag Harbour UFO incident

At any rate, it really is the perfect hiding place. But I'm more intrigued with the prospect of finding giant squids over the possibility of finding greys hiding in the deep.

If the latter would be true, X-Com: Terror From The Deep would be like a look into the future

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 02:18 AM
link   
I saw a program about a year ago, humans have oly explored 2% of the worlds ocean floor.

We got a long way to go considering the ocean floor is 2/3 rds of our planetary surface.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by NerevarWhat is the reason that the depths of the oceans are the least explored place on earth?? Imagine what could be found, Dozens of new species. There must be a real good reason as to why the depths have not been explored.

Because it's a difficult environment... cold, dark, high pressures, poor communication ability. Most of our equipment will crush at that depth.

It takes money as well. There's not as much military/governmental interest currently in exploring the oceans as there is in exploring outer space... and there's less interest in exploring outer space than there is in exploring the peccadillos of our politicians.

If they'd take the money wasted in the campaign ads....

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 10:22 AM
link   
I fyour theory is true maybe the Grays are actually the Atlantians.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 11:05 AM
link   

I have had this idea for a long time now.....

What is the reason that the depths of the oceans are the least explored place on earth?? Imagine what could be found, Dozens of new species. There must be a real good reason as to why the depths have not been explored.

The ocean floor has been mapped with radar in detail. There have been subs down to parts of it too. You're right, there are dozens of new species and probably thousands more to be found. But its very difficult to get to. There are only a very very few number of vehicles that can get there. The US i think used to lead in that tech, but now the japanese have the advantage. But its only a handful of vehciles in the first

I mean scientists are even talking about exploring Europa's (A frozen moon of Jupiter) oceans in the search for extra terrestrial life!

Here come the conspiracy bit......concentrate!!

Hence the reason not to explore the deep ocean...hence the reason for the typical description of aliens to be short, grey skinned thingys with big black eyes....

Why would a humanoid creature evolve on the ocean floor? Also, the pressure there is completely different, how could humans and these things be in the same room? Why would they have eyes, its pitch black on the ocean floor. Not dark, pitch black. Organisms that have eyes become adapted to loose them on the ocean floors.

my point is that we haven't even explored this planet completely yet and are forever looking upwards to the stars....there must be a reason...

There's a reason the ocean floor hasn't had too many people go down to it; its very difficult and costly to get there and conduct research. Also, the governement itself doesn't have much of an interest in going down there. Mainly its scientists and researchers who are doing so, out of academic interests. Those kind of 'pure research' endeavours tend to get less funding that others. Although, some are looking for exotic chemicals and the like.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd

Because it's a difficult environment... cold, dark, high pressures, poor communication ability. Most of our equipment will crush at that depth.

Yeah...but look at the obstacles to man being in space.....sorta the same thing....surely if we can manage that, we could also overcome said obstacles......I'd love to this happen! I think we would learn so much about our own history that has been buried beneath the water

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by LadyV
I think we would learn so much about our own history that has been buried beneath the water

Aquatic archaeology is definitly a wide open field, but at the depths they are talking about? There wouldn't be cities and whatnot that far out. Aquatic archaeology usually involves formerly coastal areas.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by rustiswordz
I saw a program about a year ago, humans have oly explored 2% of the worlds ocean floor.

We got a long way to go considering the ocean floor is 2/3 rds of our planetary surface.

Its actually 3% my friend, also this is a good point we probably know more about our moon than out oceans.

There could be an alien "Water World" type place but instead of on the surface this would be deep down in the ocean!

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd

Yeah...but look at the obstacles to man being in space.....sorta the same thing....surely if we can manage that, we could also overcome said obstacles......I'd love to this happen! I think we would learn so much about our own history that has been buried beneath the water

I mean no insult, but it seems to me like you do not understand that space and the depths of the ocean are not the same. They are extremely opposite. In space, all you need is a sealed vehicle that can hold the crew. Communications travels as fast as it does on the ground. In the ocean, you need a vessel that can withstand the AWESOME forces that crush everything underneath it. It is undescribable how much force is pushed down on you while in the ocean.

And like Nygdan said, almost the entire ocean floor has been mapped in radar. If there was any structures, like the "Water World" in the previous reply, we would have noticed it.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Interesting Point Kompaktor.

I think this is a great post, firstly. i can understand the limitations of exploring the deep sea, although I think that there is technology/material available in this time to do more thna has been done, but doesn't seem people really want to.

What are they doing out on Eurpoa anyway? if they are trying to exlopre the oceans out there woud they not encounter the same problems as they would with ours?

And can anyone tell me while we are on the semi topic of space, if there has ben another moon landing where we have actually walked on the moon, and is there footage? I feel it a little strange that I havent seen heard anything since the intial landing and have always wondered why that is.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 04:39 AM
link   
first of all they would have to make a vessel that could go deep under the sea. cause they dont have it yet the pressure is too great.it will crush them if they try to go to the depths. so they got to get more money into exploring the ocean and they will probably find great things and maybe even ancient sunken cities. and yeah i always thought that the greys are living at the bottom of the ocean. thats why they look like that.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 04:46 AM
link   

As to why we haven't explored that much of the oceans: Pressure.

"Dozens of new species"... More like, hundreds of thousands...

thats just my 2c.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan

I think we would learn so much about our own history that has been buried beneath the water

Aquatic archaeology is definitly a wide open field, but at the depths they are talking about? There wouldn't be cities and whatnot that far out. Aquatic archaeology usually involves formerly coastal areas.

yes but dont forget about the pyramid's off of florida's coast, now i know its off the coast like u said but it is so deep we would have a hard time getting to it

top topics

<<   2 >>

join