It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HMS Bounty Replica Sinks; 2 Missing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Sandy isn't messing around.

This is a beautiful ship that has been used in movies and to lose it is definitely going to be heartbreaking for many.

The Bounty was used in the making of 1962's "Mutiny on the Bounty," starring Marlon Brando, as well as "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest," according to the ship's Facebook page.

www.cnn.com...

(CNN) -- Three people engulfed by the Hurricane Sandy-roiled Atlantic strove to reach a life raft after falling overboard Monday, the U.S. Coast Guard said. But only one of them made it.

The survival drama involving the crippled tall ship and its stranded crew has been playing out over the course of Monday, 90 miles off North Carolina's Outer Banks, where Hurricane Sandy has been churning 40-mph winds and 18-foot waves.

I can't imagine being out there in this weather. Still 2 out at sea so let's throw some good wishes their way.

Peace

edit on 29-10-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Such a beautiful ship.... very tragic. Say a prayer for the lost crew members.

But I do wonder.... why did this ship not put into port earlier ?

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by seaside sky
Such a beautiful ship.... very tragic. Say a prayer for the lost crew members.

But I do wonder.... why did this ship not put into port earlier ?

I was thinking the same thing.

No idea.

Peace

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
They were on the way to Florida. Maybe wanted to prevent high winds damage? No idea, not a sailor myself.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Hubbie and I last saw her at the Tall Ships in Halifax.
So sad...
Sending prayers out to the crew and their families.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
A terrible loss and my prayers go out for the missing as well as their families

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   
They claim that leaving port was a calculated risk and that a ship is safer out at sea rather than port in storms. Really?

At least the crew could have been tucked up safe and warm. No news on the two missing crew members?

What a shame on all counts.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by seaside sky

for that type of vessel it is safer to be at sea then in port(wooden ship in a hurricane),she was a beautiful ship and i hope where ever ships go to die may her sails always be full with the wind at her back and blue skies on the horizon rest in peace old girl now its time for you to rest and be claimed by the sea you knew and loved so much

en.wikipedia.org... info on wooden ships and tactics

and while i know glp is a dirty word here the us navy wouldnt be sailing out of port unless it was a better idea then staying in port for the storm www.godlikeproductions.com...
edit on 29-10-2012 by RalagaNarHallas because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by RalagaNarHallas
reply to post by seaside sky

for that type of vessel it is safer to be at sea then in port(wooden ship in a hurricane),she was a beautiful ship and i hope where ever ships go to die may her sails always be full with the wind at her back and blue skies on the horizon rest in peace old girl now its time for you to rest and be claimed by the sea you knew and loved so much

en.wikipedia.org... info on wooden ships and tactics

and while i know glp is a dirty word here the us navy wouldnt be sailing out of port unless it was a better idea then staying in port for the storm www.godlikeproductions.com...
edit on 29-10-2012 by RalagaNarHallas because: (no reason given)

Ok, that makes sense.

Waves would be rolling out at sea rather than crashing as they do on shore.

Thanks

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

It's a judgement call-- they made the wrong choice. It's not always true that ships are safer at sea. I'm guessing they were hoping to make the run to the south before it got ugly. They could have set into various ports that would have been safe, even if it meant diverting their course. Again - a judgement call. Could've been successful but it wasn't. I don't believe I'd had taken that chance.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Two crew members of a Nova Scotia-built replica vessel are missing after abandoning ship off the coast of North Carolina in high seas brought on by Hurricane Sandy. Officials with the U.S. Coast Guard told CBC News the 16-member crew of HMS Bounty decided to abandon ship after getting caught in 5.5-metre seas off Cape Hatteras on Monday. Three crew members were washed overboard as they tried to get to two covered life-rafts, said the U.S. Coast Guard. Only one of the three members made it to the life-raft and was among the 14 people hoisted onto helicopters. Coast Guard officials said the two missing crew members — a man and a woman — are believed to be in cold water survival suits and life-jackets. He said the air search is being plotted based on wind direction and speed, and will be expanded. Claudia McCann, whose husband Robin Walbridge is the captain of the Bounty, told CBC News her husband is one of the two missing crew members. CBC News has learned the other missing crew member is Claudene Christian. HMS Bounty sank several hours after the evacuation.

McCann told CBC News she hadn't slept since she received word the ship was taking on water. She said her husband, Captain Robin Walbridge, was trying to get around Hurricane Sandy en route to Florida. "He was just trying to avoid it, skirt it. Skirt through it, skirt around it," McCann said earlier on Monday.

ca.news.yahoo.com...

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Sad.. waste of lives and a ship. What freaking idiots for sailing that ship off the Outer Banks in this weather.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Makes half sense. You take vessels like that out of port... and you sail AWAY from the hurricane. You don't sail INTO the hurricane. They honestly thought they would "skirt" a 900+ mile wide hurricane?
They should have sailed north-east .. clearly they did not want to disrupt their business and went ahead into the storm to try and make it to Florida.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 12:13 AM
link   
the report i read said they were trying to out run the hurricane, most likely to avoid damage, its a wood ship, tall masts, dont think it would have survived to long smashing into things. either way seems pretty stupid, wasnt this just a re creation of the ship anyways, as i we could have just made another , re creation.

top topics

join