It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Train derailment, Level 3 HazMat Alert force evacuations, LOUISVILLE, KY

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Train derailment, Level 3 HazMat Alert force evacuations

LOUISVILLE, KY (WAVE) – A train derailment in far southwestern Jefferson County has led to a chemical release, a hazmat declaration, closed a major roadway, and an evacuation of a one-mile radius of the derailment site.

Pleasure Ridge Park firefighters declared the derailment a Level 3 HazMat situation. It is the highest alert level for a hazardous materials incident.

wow.

Big news day.

Looking for more on this one...
edit on 29-10-2012 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

I have seen this scenario somewhere before, in a film I think Close encounters of the the third something, or other.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

FINALLY! THE ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE HAS BEGUN!

but seriously, I hope everyone is ok and stays safe

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Here is an interesting public service annoucement regarding the incident

The following message is transmitted at the request of the Louisville Metrosafe.

Louisville Metrosafe continues to ask that people living within a two and a half mile radius of Dixie Highway and Katherine Station Road shelter in place until the all clear is given. A train carrying hazardous chemicals derailed near that location earlier this morning. To Shelter In Place, close all doors and windows and turn off any system that pulls in outside air. Stay tuned for updates.

Link

What a day for another disaster to occur

edit on 29-10-2012 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotel1
reply to post by loam

I have seen this scenario somewhere before, in a film I think Close encounters of the the third something, or other.

# I was typing the same reply when a customer walked in and I had to "work"

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by BrianG

Great/paranoid minds think alike.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by hotel1

A little more poison to blow around the country?

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
It would be nice if they would tell people exactly what chemical was spilled. Some stuff can require very specific safety precautions. And sometimes just staying inside might not be enough.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Happy1
reply to post by hotel1

A little more poison to blow around the country?

Maybe just a little more "conditioning"

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Louisville is currently getting 18mph winds thanks to Sandy. Whatever the airborne hazard from the train is, its going to get blown around all over the place. Lots of rain could help to saturate the ground and waterways with the nasty stuff, too.

Question is... what was the hazardous agent on the train?

EDIT: Answered my own question by reading the article. Oops!

... butadiene, a flammable, colorless gas with a mild aromatic odor. Evacuations ordered after train derailment Butadiene is a highly explosive material that cannot be contained with water. Crews used a blanket of foam on the spill in an effort to keep the fumes down. Other chemicals aboard the train include hydrochloride, sodium hydroxide, calcium carbide, and methyl isobutyl ketone. None of them was believed to be leaking.
www.wave3.com...
edit on 29-10-2012 by Heliophant because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Anybody knows if Fort Knox in the map The Fort Knox military base? Maybe it was some stuff connected to it, i just read that airforce have a base there and some materials (like hydrazine) used in planes are pretty toxic.
Only a speculation though.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
www.wfpl.org...

Butadiene spill apparently.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Apparently one of the cars have exploded. People told to shelter indoors in a five mile radius.

www.wlky.com...

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
That is about 15 miles from me.

Some guy was using a blow torch to separate two cars near a dangerous, flammable chemical.

What the hell were they thinking?????????????

My sister-in-law lives in that zone.
They evacuated the schools around 1pm today.

No Halloween for those kids tonight.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

I live exactly 10 miles away. We are not under the shelter in place but there are National Guard troops everywhere. West Point Ky has been evacuated (within a 1.2 mile radius) apparently there are two tankers next to the one that exploded that are damaged but not leaking yet. Butane was in the tanker that exploded. Nothing really going on. It has totally jacked up my commute to Louisville everyday this week and 31W was supposed to be opened tonight. NO GO. NOw I must drive 30 miles out of my way to get to Louisville each day.

I live on the south side of Ft Knox, this was on the Northwestern side.

Air seems fine. I was just outside smoking and didnt explode.

I am coughing but that could be from anything. Trying not to get paranoid here. My daughter is ashmatic and so far she is fine.

My issue is..why did they call in the National Guard when Ft Knox has 30k soldiers at their disposal?

And second..if they expand the shelter in place (turn off anything that draws air from outside in...like heat sources) while I am asleep how the heck will I know? I am on 12 hr shifts and I am exhausted.

Right now I feel like...Go to sleep. Die. Go to sleep. Die. UGH. Stay awake get fired tomorrow for being a sarcastic piece of work...decisions decisions...

Advice? I am a little nervous. NOT PANICKED so dont make fun of me. Just a little nervous. I welcome any advice you all can give to me.

~K

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

The car has since exploded. It was butane that caused the explosion. however there are two cars adjacent to the one that exploded that are damaged and are carrying hydrogen flouride.

Here is a current link..Train Derailment West Point KY

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by ZeroKnowledge

I live here. No air force base. Just an Army post. This is about 5 miles northwest of Ft Knox.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

Howdy neighbor. I am 10 miles away. U2U me.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by k21968

Because one of the missions of the National Guard is to assist with disaster relief, in the specific state that they are from. The military is only supposed to be used in very limited instances, such as helicopters for airlift, and even then only if the National Guard doesn't have the assets available.

The State Mission Statement of the Army National Guard:

“Provide trained and disciplined forces for domestic emergencies or as otherwise required by state law.”

www.yellowribbonfoundation.com...

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Thank you. I am a poor excuse for a 22 yr veteran army wife.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join