It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If the NYC subways flood.....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Hi.

I have been watching and reading about hurricane Sandy.

A lot of people are concerned with the storm surge and possible flooding of the subway system. Living in the desert southwest I have seen subways only on tv, movies and in the news. So needless to say my knowledge of the train system is very limited.

I was curious how big of an impact there would be on New York City if the subway did flood.

I read this article and found it to be informative and alarming... transportationnation.org...

New York Governor Andrew Cuomo and his MTA chief, Joe Lhota, say the danger of flooding of the East River subway tunnels is quite real. “Our subway system and salt water do not mix,” Lhota said in a briefing with the Governor this morning. “Salt water can corrode switches quite easily.” Lhota added that would put the general ability for the system to function “in jeopardy.”

During Tropical Storm Irene, as WNYC reported a year ago, the city came within a foot of seeing the subway tunnels flood. Officials just predicted Sandy will peak at 11.7 feet above flood stage, versus 9.5 feet for Sandy.

(I think it meant to read 'versus 9.5 feet for Irene' we all make mistakes.
)

In a best-case scenario, Jacob calculated that it would take 29 days to get the subway working again. But in the meantime, a halted subway would almost halt the city’s economy, which, he says produces $4 billion a day in economic activity.

In a best case scenario it could take nearly a month to get the trains working.

edit on 29-10-2012 by cavalryscout because: (no reason given)

new topics

join