It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Disaster in Pennsylvania?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   
It's only a Cat 1 hurricane. That means only 90 mph winds. The reason it's so dangerous is because there is supposed to be an arctic storm, and a low pressure system merging in the same area that Sandy is moving into, so all three will meet up. This is probably going to stall Sandy, which means that they could see days of rain, and strong winds.

Sandy is far from the biggest hurricane to hit the US. She might be one of the largest ones to hit, but she's by no means the biggest one to hit. Katrina was much stronger than Sandy was at landfall.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by FactFactor

I know, I wasn't afraid until I turned on the news. Fear mongering worked, unfortunately.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

Here man, a crane collapsed in NJ.

Another building in NY had a building face fall off, revealing the inside apartments. It was just shown so there aren't any pictures but I'll get them if I can.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Yes. I just found out that the reason that it isn't so bad where I live is that I'm not supposed to get hit until 12:00am tonight until.........5pm TUESDAY.

Thats a large window.

Maybe I underplayed it.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by johnwilkesbooth

www.nhc.noaa.gov...

This is a scary storm with all that is meeting up together. She's throwing snow at Virginia, massive rains at everyone else, and she is moving fast. She's still only a Cat 1, but coming ashore at 28 mph, and then going to slow, and linger as she weakens.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   
NOT GOOD

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Three big states rely on one distribution center in a tiny town for all their groceries and they don't have a backup generator? That doesn't sound like very good planning.

I did a quick google search for the company, then looked at their locations and i don't see one in PA at all?

McLane

There is one in NY and NJ though.

V

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Variable

Three big states rely on one distribution center in a tiny town for all their groceries and they don't have a backup generator? That doesn't sound like very good planning.

I did a quick google search for the company, then looked at their locations and i don't see one in PA at all?

McLane

There is one in NY and NJ though.

Google McLane PA. The first 4 links alone are McLane Distribution in Jessup, PA. I would know...I work there.

I don't worry about their planning since, I don't care about what they do; so long as they give me my check

Many people have asked me about the back-up generator, I don't know the specifics about the power outages. I've only been there since September 4th, so this is new to me. However, as I said, when I tried to go into the entrance, everyone on the exit route was flagging me to turn around.

I didn't ask questions, it was a free Monday off.

But yeah, not EVERY single store in the Tri-state area uses McLane, it's just the largest Dist. Center in the Continental US.

They mainly do Walmarts, Target, Kmart, Chuck-E-Chese, Sunoco, 7-11, A+ stations, Pilot Stations, Loves Stations, ANY local store that wants them, etc.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Of course you "under played it", you're not used to hurricanes & none of us are accustomed to storms of this magnitude in late October. I've spent the last 16 years living in hurricane prone areas (and Hawaii) & for those who refuse to heed warning to an incoming storm, well, you deserve what you get. I'd rather stock up & be safe than be sorry - especially with a storm like this...where there's no precedent to go off of. If the supplies I've stocked up on aren't needed during this storm then they'll save through the winter.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   
There is a picture supposedly taken in New Jersey that shows a shark swimming past someone's porch.

Reports are that Con-Ed has cut power to lower Manhattan, and there are pictures that several streets in Manhattan are under water now.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by claireaudient

I never said I didn't prepare. I just thought this was going to be a garbage scheme to get people to spend countless dollars on water when it wasn't going to be bad. But It's already bad and we didn't even get it yet.

I have plenty to keep me going for a week with no power. At least.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
There is a picture supposedly taken in New Jersey that shows a shark swimming past someone's porch.

Reports are that Con-Ed has cut power to lower Manhattan, and there are pictures that several streets in Manhattan are under water now.

Here's that shark picture for you.

And yes, they shut off power to lower Manhattan for preventative maintenance.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   
UPDATE:

Guess what? No work until Wednesday. Meaning SOME major stores in New Jersey and New York aren't going to be getting the supplies they need until Friday.

Also, they'll most likely be keeping us for upwards of 12 hours or more to try to double their work. I know for a fact I'll have to work on the weekend.

Power flickering, when it goes where I live....it goes for a long time. I hope to maintain contact.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
We just got hit by a gust that made the entire truck lean to the right. And we're in Ohio. The winds in this area are horrible. I pray to god I never feel that again. It scared the hell out of me. It felt like the outside tandems were off the ground.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

I'm so sorry for you man. Be safe, I'll be sending you good vibrations.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Im a twenty five year veteran over the road trucker. Stop endangering your life and the lives of others. Il bet that your safety department would agree.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by bourbon2nite

I agree brother.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Thanks for the shark picture! Really LOL! Like, boy isn't that just the epitome of... I do not know what.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ecapsretuo

Imagine stepping out of your home to see that.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Variable

I did find it after doing some more goggling. The PA one doesn't appear to be the largest,.I clicked on the one in NC and it is bigger and employs more people. I live in NC hence i was curious. I also saw that the company was once owned by Walmart and now is owned by Berkshire Hathaway. Looks like Buffett thinks its profitable to supply Walmarts. It's also interesting Walmart sold some of its supply chain back end to a third party. Do the trucks leaving Jessup say Walmart on the side of them? Just wondering.

V

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join