It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Disaster in Pennsylvania?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by johnwilkesbooth

Hello JWB, I live in Pittsburgh. I've heard of Union Dale! I think we are pretty close right?

Sorry to hear your starting off the storm with your lights already off, what a bummer ?

Ugh I'm a restaurant server, no one is going out to eat tonight. I am hoping my boss calls and tells me to stay home. She probably won't and I will go to work to wait on one table.

Good luck!
edit on 29-10-2012 by MidnightSunshine because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by MidnightSunshine

Hi, I live in the burgh too, Hopefully your boss will close but come on this is Pittsburgh, people will go out to eat during the apocalypse and we work no matter what. That's the joy of living in a blue collar town. Great work ethic and love of food.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   

If the Walmart in Dickson is empty they should simply head to the Weis in Clarks Summit or Carbondale. Both are fully stocked. Honesdale Walmart is also good to go. Sure, the storm is going to slow things down but I am not certain that we need to start freaking out just yet.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by shadwgirl

They sure do still go out, This is true!!

Hey you never know though. A couple years ago we had a bad winter storm and everyone in Robinson township was w/o power except for us. Busiest night EVER, Made bank$$$ I thought that night was going to Suck too, so that's what I'm hoping happens tonight.
Nice to meet you BTW

edit on 29-10-2012 by MidnightSunshine because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by MidnightSunshine

Hey thanks!

Union Dale and Pittsburgh are about 3 hours away. Haha. But I only disliked it because I had already woken up and drove to work just to see that people were all leaving. I asked why and they said that something happened with the power.

I later found out someone drove into the transformer as they did at my girlfriends moms job.

So I had to drive all the way home. So I drove 40 minutes to drive 40 minutes back.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by watcher3339

Oh I'm not freaking out. I'm just informing the masses.

I shopped at Weis in Carbondale just yesterday actually. It's very close to my house, only about 10 miles away.

It was pretty stocked.

By the way, I didn't shop there because I'm a "waiter". I shop every Sunday for groceries and I wasn't going to change my routine because of some garbage storm haha.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Target has a distribution center in Chanmersburg Pa. I know because we almost moved there, and husband was going to transfer there, so Target at least has other options.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   
It's amazing how people are reacting here in "The Burgh". You would think we were on the east coast!

JT

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
UPDATE:

5 hours since I first posted this. Looks like "Frakenstorm" was just some marketing attempt to make people buy more water and generators than they need.

Why? Here's my state. Red circle is where I am.

I was supposed to get 8 inches of rain/snow. It's been windy and that's it.

So I'll update much later or unless it starts raining.

Peace.Love.Harmony.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

That what they had in mind with the terms. To wake people up and get them to stock up. Hello. You can't go down to a flooded out store with no power after the fact. When this thing is all over you will probably bitch that they didn't try hard enough to scare everybody.Most people are complacent and think it will never happen to them. Disaster. Frenzy. HA. Wait until after the storm when the powers been out for a couple of days. Frenzy won't even discribe what will go on.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by FreshAirGirl

Creating a panic is not a effective method in my opinion to motivate people to safely and calmly collect provisions and other resources to weather the storm.

You ever see those videos of boxing day shoppers at Wal-Mart that trample each other, to death in some cases, to get the best deals.

Now imagine what people will do if they were concerned for their lives instead of low low prices.

You tell me if you would prefer that.

edit on 29-10-2012 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Hi OP, not doubting your story, but definitely doubting the official utility company story.

A large warehouse like yours is not served by a "transformer." Not a singular one anyway. It would be served by a series of transformers, and they would not be the typical transformers on a light pole somewhere that a driver might hit them. Your warehouse would be on an entirely different supply than the surrounding residents, because the residential power and the industrial power have differing needs, and differing priorities.

I once was a driver, who fell asleep, and hit a light pole, and it did knock out an entire power grid, so it is possible, but in my case there was extreme cold, ice on the lines, and an overload of the system from people using extra heaters and lights. In your case, it is basically impossible for a driver to have taken out an entire power grid.

The power company is lying about something, and that is always a suspicious way to start a disaster.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

Even if you gave someone a three day warning that something big was DEFINITELY going to happen, they'd still wait until the last night or even the day of.

If they really cared about their safety, they wouldn't wait until the last minute.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   

I was only offering an opinion on the issue of fear inducing diction.

I do not know what the most effective way to get people motivated to obtaining the required provisions. However, i can tell you fear inducing statements is not that best way, as it may result in unintended consequences.

As to the lethargy of the people in the path of this storm, I can not offer any opinion at this time

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by darkhorserider
Hi OP, not doubting your story, but definitely doubting the official utility company story.

A large warehouse like yours is not served by a "transformer." Not a singular one anyway. It would be served by a series of transformers, and they would not be the typical transformers on a light pole somewhere that a driver might hit them. Your warehouse would be on an entirely different supply than the surrounding residents, because the residential power and the industrial power have differing needs, and differing priorities.

I once was a driver, who fell asleep, and hit a light pole, and it did knock out an entire power grid, so it is possible, but in my case there was extreme cold, ice on the lines, and an overload of the system from people using extra heaters and lights. In your case, it is basically impossible for a driver to have taken out an entire power grid.

The power company is lying about something, and that is always a suspicious way to start a disaster.

I'm just going off of what I was told man. I was driving on the highway, on the way to work, and I saw flashing lights. I thought "oh wow, that's kinda close to my job." Then I get off the highway and I'm following and ambulance.

I was hoping no one got hurt because that's been happening lately. Accident free days have been reset at like 7 and 4 in the last few weeks, but before that it'd go up to 100 or 200.

Sure enough, as I pulled in to the entrance, the line for the exit was full. Everyone was flagging me to turn around. So I slammed on the brakes and rolled the window down and they said "A transformer is down, just go home. There's no power."

So...seeing as how it was 7:40a.m. and I already didn't even want to go as it is, I didn't argue.

I went home and called my dad who works on the shift before me, he told me someone hit either the transformer or a pole with a car. He fell asleep.

Again, I didn't argue. I'm just pissed because if it's not all fixed by tomorrow I have to work on the weekends.

I also thought that it was weird that the day before "someone fell asleep" and took out the power to a military industrial complex that my girlfriends mom works out. They all had to go home too.

That place is Gentex Corporation or Essilor America in Simpson, PA if you'd like to google that.
-----

Mine is McLane Dist. in Jessup, Pa.

I didn't think anything weird was going on until I heard that it was a driver that fell asleep. Just like the day before somewhere else.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Greenblaz

That is true but certain areas here are certain to flood like Shaler and Millvale. So I can understand some of the panic. Also remember what happened on Washington Blvd with that flash flood that took lives. We do not have good water management in certain areas. Add to the fact that there was a news report yesterday about the engineers being worried that some of the dams might not hold with all this rain we are expecting. That is a little worrisome to me since I live on the Ohio River.

pittsburgh.cbslocal.com...

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by shadwgirl

The ONLY thing I, personally, had to care about was a power loss. Pretty much everything in my house is electric, unfortunately.

My stove is electric. My heat is electric. I have a well, so my water is electric. Obvious other items that are necessary are electric.

My girlfriends house however is all wood heat. They have plenty of deer meat and warmth, so I've been over here enjoying the "frankenstorm" with a nice cup of Irish Breakfast Tea.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
It might not be bad where you are, but Battery Park, and the Atlantic City Boardwalk are already underwater. I'm seeing pics on Facebook from towns in New Jersey that are already underwater. And this is with the center of the storm hours away.

If this turns out to not be much, then good. But if it does, then using a name like Frankenstorm might not be a bad thing, especially if it woke a few people up.

Last year, we had weather people standing on chairs screaming, begging people to prepare for what looked like was going to be a massive tornado outbreak. No one listened, and right on schedule, we got hammered by the biggest tornado outbreak in US history. We went weeks without power in some places, and no one was ready for it, because they didn't listen. If they want to give a storm a name, and make it sound worse than it turns out to be, then more power to them.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I just got a call. School is already canceled for tomorrow

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

I went without power for a week last year. I took a shower using my girlfriend pool water and shampoo.

Talk about first testament, huh? Haha.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join