Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Canadian Grade Eight Social Studies: Who Is The Prophet Of Muslims?

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by gnosticagnostic

sp your telling me you didn't learn about zeus and athena? or have to read the odyssey or homer at all? hmm i'm pretty sure we went over all that.. the difference in greek and roman gods and the name changes.. we also went over egyptian gods.. oh the horror i know.

Actually, no! Now I remember that we had to study all about their clothing, and it was THEE most boring class I had ever taken. Learning about the gods would have been SO much better.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   
The history of the world is intrinsically tied to religion.

The most important people in all of history have been religious in one way or another. Very, very few atheist people were of any importance until very recently.

The rulers, the soldiers, the scientists and novelists, almost all had religion. Learning of their religion is necessary in order to understand why some things played out. Perhaps your son was learning about the crusades? Would it not then make sense for him to also learn about Muslims as well as Christians? Israel, too.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by MonkeyFishFrog

To try and teach History, Humanities or Sociology without referencing religion is the same as a trying to teach someone Chemistry but ignoring the Periodic Table of Elements.
edit on 10/29/2012 by MonkeyFishFrog because: (no reason given)

Well said. I guess it's the social norm now to freak out if public schools reference any type of religion.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

sp your telling me you didn't learn about zeus and athena? or have to read the odyssey or homer at all? hmm i'm pretty sure we went over all that.. the difference in greek and roman gods and the name changes.. we also went over egyptian gods.. oh the horror i know.

Actually, no! Now I remember that we had to study all about their clothing, and it was THEE most boring class I had ever taken. Learning about the gods would have been SO much better.

Well its not that, we were never taught any issues relating to inequality, it wasnt about religions, one country after another, with key brainwashing in gold boxes with red stickers on them. Its sickening, sexist and really twisted.

But if I took this same text and rewrote it, to be lands and people, customs and interesting human aspects that at least is a little better than what we learnt, all war, war, war, beheadings sometimes, the history of man, and empires. This book could be greatly improved with very scant and brief info on the world religions in each area, but not this, and I would on issues such as equality and those who worked for it, those who stood out for helping their fellow human. There are many ways to rework this propaganda text. I'd love to overhaul it myself.

By the way, the Greek gods were at least taught as mythology, it was a part of english not history.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by cetaphobic

I think some of the quirkiest and most interesting facts in history are in relation to religion. Every culture and society on the planet has an origin and end story/myth. There are scientific theories based on the findings of people who set out to prove the existence of God. The Lascaux Cave paintings are considered by Anthropologists to possibility be one of the earliest forms of worship/religion.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Now of course we were taught the history including egyptian slaves mummified alive when their owners died, and lots of things, but this was journalist reporting like a news article, not glorifying it, or making it a glowing report. Any questions and nudges would always be to speak up and work for equality and integrity.

That is not what this is.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99

Originally posted by jiggerj

Well its not that, we were never taught any issues relating to inequality, it wasnt about religions, one country after another, with key brainwashing in gold boxes with red stickers on them. Its sickening, sexist and really twisted.

But if I took this same text and rewrote it, to be lands and people, customs and interesting human aspects that at least is a little better than what we learnt, all war, war, war, beheadings sometimes, the history of man, and empires. This book could be greatly improved with very scant and brief info on the world religions in each area, but not this, and I would on issues such as equality and those who worked for it, those who stood out for helping their fellow human. There are many ways to rework this propaganda text. I'd love to overhaul it myself.

By the way, the Greek gods were at least taught as mythology, it was a part of english not history.

so greek gods are ok check check.. just not those infidels and their religion.. do you know anything about the islamic faith besides what you've been told on tv? Do you know that they too believe jesus christ was a prophet.. i know blasphemy right. Do you know anything about the different sects of islam? like the different sects of wicca.. but then your a devil worshiper yourself now aren't ya? Perhaps you should set in on your sons classes for a few weeks and learn what it is your so afraid of. Your enlightened enough to do that now aren't ya? Open enough to that peace light and love your preaching about.. don't you owe it to those poor islamic children that are being murdered in the streets to see what it is they are dying and fighting for?

merry part or blessed be or whatever it is that your new age says to say.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Is this supposed to be a rant? I was taught the same thing in my Social Study class. I was also taught about the history of religious groups like the Sunni and Shiites and Zoroasteranism. These are things your child should know about...

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   

I was also taught that Greek gods were a part of greece's history. Not actual history of course, but we were taught how much their religion affected their society. Then we learned about Egyptian gods and their religion/mythos. Then on to Islam, then Christianity, then Buddhism, Zoroaster, Shinto. This is a part of Social Studies. Religion plays a big role in society. You don't think your kids should know these kinds of things?

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I don't make it a habit of pointing out how someone who says they're enlightened has qualities that makes them seem like they're missing the entire point of being enlightened, but I'm not exactly sure Unity knows what enlightenment actually means. I mean no offense in this, I'm simply calling a spade a spade through observation.

If one was enlightened, one wouldn't make such a big deal about religion. At that point, one has trancended above concepts of religion, as with political ideologies and philosophies. You wouldn't be stuck to anything. This is enlightenment, seeing the truth of reality beyond human fabrications such as those.

Or as the Dali Lama once said, "# it."

www.youtube.com...

No wait, that was, "Forget."
edit on 29-10-2012 by ManjushriPrajna because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
17 pages, but only 6 flags.

That alone should tell the OP he's barking up a fake christmas tree.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

Sorry OP, but I feel you are doing your child a great disservice by the way your thinking.

My son goes to a church school....We are not even religious !

He has been there since nursery, and is now in year 5, let me tell you, they learn about all faiths, not just christianity, and you know what.....

My son doesn't believe in God !

He did for a time, but over time, he has changed his mind..

Freedom to draw your own conclusions if the greatest gift you can give to anybody....especially a child, to dismiss something, and force your will/viewpoint because you don't agree, is not best serving your child, and helping them to grow in their own way.

Allowise, don't you just become as bad, as the NWO you believe are trying to resist.

If you have been given the freedom to draw your own conclusions, despite the information given to you, don't you think you owe it to give your child the same opportunity?

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   

My children are taught the truth,

What is the truth? (said Pontias Pilate, turning to nervously wash his hands in a bowl of water).

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   

cant tell if youre trolling or serious.

you can discuss and learn about religion from a secular standpoint, by looking at the facts, not delving into the mythology.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Of coarse it is relevant to history. Take any event in the past and there will be a religious link to it.
Not to mention how every current war is also being fought because of religion and that every culture in the world is influenced by religion.
Your children never hear anything about current events ever, right?
Trying to shelter your children from simple facts, will only serve to make your children even more curious about said religions and dumber than their peers.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Most important Jewish book: Torah

When did judaism take place: 3000 year ago.

What is the Jewish books: Exodus.

What did the Jews believe what God thought: that they were God's chosen people.

When did Islam start: 7 century.

Apparently my son is being tested tomorrow in social studies. And these are study notes. And I'm going to go to the school and make an appointment with the principal and raise CAIN.

I don't understand what the problem is. "Social Studies" - they're not teaching what to believe,they're teaching about what cultures believe/believed. Personally, I would be upset if my son's school was leaving out such a major societal influencer as this. Imagine how far behind kids would be if they eventually wanted a job with the CIA, or in international business. [response in job interview] ”I'm sorry, is this a trick question? You're asking what I know about a culture outside of my own..I didn't know such things existed. Now, can we get back to focusing on why my belief in flat-earth qualifies me for this position?"

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   

When did Islam start: 7 century.

...What exactly is "mythological" about this?

...Or do you contend the world is only 3 years old?

+9 more 
posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Not in our school systems in in depth religious studies with cultural norms...

Your comprehension of what constitutes a well-rounded education is severely lacking, if not dangerous.

Here's an eye-opener for you -- if not for the historical context of other religions born of Abraham, and other religions in Asia, Native Americans, and Africa being taught in Middle School, I may not have ever realized that there was any other interpretation of spirituality than that of the Baptist church in which I was raised. That awakening, courtesy of public schools, is the decisive beginning of my path to atheism.

And while staunchly atheist, I will vigorously defend anyone to hold dear which ever faith they find comforting, and find these words of yours...

religious mumbo jumbo

Absolutely detestable and lacking of basic human compassion.

and it does not belong in history

The teaching of the place of, and impact of, religion in history is indeed critically important and perhaps the most important aspect of the historical record that provides proper context for the past to be compared to the present. Your intolerance and apparent desire for a sub-standard education for your child is appalling, not worthy of an enlightened member of ATS.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Wow, you layeth the smacketh downeth very well, SkepticOverlord.

I'm glad to hear that there are other athiests out there who defend the right of those who choose faith.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   

new topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join