It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadian Grade Eight Social Studies: Who Is The Prophet Of Muslims?

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

Not atheism although, if you see what she believes you will be surprised.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Eh yeah..

Canadian children learn about religion. Just like they learn that the Monarchy in England is good.

It's not wrong to teach children the HISTORICAL facts behind the large religions. The problem is when the school stops teaching and starts preaching.

I have no problem with this.

Neither should any of you, so long as the issue here is that they are learning about them and not being encouraged to convert.

~Tenth

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by hououinkyouma

That's the thing.. I could not give a flying fart in space what she believes..

That is irrelevant to this conversation..

I just assumed because Athiests are usually the most militant about these types of issues.
edit on 29-10-2012 by DaMod because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

Upon reading other posts by the OP, the OP does not appear to be atheist, instead she appears to hold some form of new age beliefs. I could be wrong, as I have not seen the OP state their beliefs, I am just basing my opinion on previous threads, including one that was linked earlier.

We have tried to point out the flaws in her thinking, and have failed. All we can do now is hope she doesn't make school miserable for this poor child and that he eventually learns to think for himself.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Well I understand that.. I was never preached to in my social studies class..

I did however learn a lot about other religions, their history, their beliefs and what role they played in the world at large.

What's wrong with that?

reply to post by calstorm

Fair enough...

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

Nothing in the least. Mostly it's hypocrites who get all upset over this stuff.

Atheists who don't see the actual historical signifiance of religion, or other religious zealots who only want their own brand of crazy taught to their kids.

To each their own IMO, but when it comes to education, a kid has the right to be exposed to a vast set of beliefs and ideas. That's what education is for mostly, to teach them how to make decisions for themselves.

~Tenth

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaMod
I just assumed because Athiests are usually the most militant about these types of issues.

so you think atheists are all just anti religion?
atheists on average seem to be more educated about all the religions then any person of faith.
their (non)belief usually stems from that education into the faith(s), not just out of some laziness of not wanting to show up to church.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I think the thing that got me the most is how the OP seemed to completely ignore every single valid point in this thread.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Bisman

No no no.. I didn't say that..

It is however mostly Athiests that act upon issues like these with such zealous..

I didn't say all atheists..

This thread is not about Athiests vs. Christians.... I do not and did not intend for it to turn into that..

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Bisman

I agree most atheist are very knowledgeable about faiths all over the world.. and usually they started out being in one or another.. knowing about all cultures and religious faiths is a powerful tool to have... and should be required in ALL curriculum and i'm glad that the majority of the ats folks are sensible people.. knowledge is power.. the more you know about others the better the world will be.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by gnosticagnostic

I guess our views differ on that.. Most atheists I know have never even seen a bible, koran or torah let alone read one... Most actually seem to have no real idea as to what they are talking about in my personal experience.

I could be wrong, but what I've seen gives me all I have to go on.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   

reply to post by gnosticagnostic

I guess our views differ on that.. Most atheists I know have never even seen a bible, koran or torah let alone read one... Most actually seem to have no real idea as to what they are talking about in my personal experience.

I could be wrong, but what I've seen gives me all I have to go on.

welp thats sad.. how can you deny a faith if you don't know what it's beliefs are.. you cannot simply deny god if you haven't learned anything about one now can ya? lol anywho's as for the OP... she didn't come on here to be open to logical debate.. she said herself she came on here hoping for a bandwagon of like thinking so she could show the schoolboard and whoever would listen that she wasn't the only one with those thoughts.. what she got was the opposite of what she expected when no one backed up her idea...

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Oh this is going to get just a tad bit more hilarious for the sane(r) ones here.

Just a little heads up OP. Did you know there is a field trip component to the unit? Can you guess what the field trip is? Spend a day traveling around the Lower Mainland to visit houses of worship. When I was in the class we went to a Sikh temple, a synagogue, a mosque, and the Buddhist temple/meditation gardens in China Town in Vancouver.

What I wouldn't give to be a fly on the wall of this principal's office when you not only voice your complaints but hand him printed out pages from a conspiracy website as "evidence".

Still not going to post those excerpts, huh?

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   

reply to post by jiggerj

Teaching the beliefs adds the why to the what.. It also provides enough information for a Student to come to their own conclusions as to the why based on what these people believed at the time.

know what I mean..

Sure. I just haven't seen the religious aspect talked about in (well, it was over forty years ago) my history class on Ancient Rome. I'm guessing there were a lot of gods worshiped back then, gods that played a role in whatever the Romans did. I'm just curious as to why religious beliefs are playing a role in teaching history now as opposed to any other time?
edit on 10/29/2012 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

reply to post by jiggerj

Teaching the beliefs adds the why to the what.. It also provides enough information for a Student to come to their own conclusions as to the why based on what these people believed at the time.

know what I mean..

Sure. I just haven't seen the religious aspect talked about in (well, it was over forty years ago) my history class on Ancient Rome. I'm guessing there were a lot of gods worshiped back then, gods that played a role in whatever the Romans did. I'm just curious as to why religious beliefs are playing a role in teaching history now as opposed to any other time?
edit on 10/29/2012 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

sp your telling me you didn't learn about zeus and athena? or have to read the odyssey or homer at all? hmm i'm pretty sure we went over all that.. the difference in greek and roman gods and the name changes.. we also went over egyptian gods.. oh the horror i know.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by MonkeyFishFrog

i know me too!! we even got to make and bring traditional cuisine of those peoples... hahaha. damn i do hope she takes my advise and takes a camera...

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

This is the textbook that has the OP up in arms.

Like I said, I can't see why anyone would get upset with being taught that most civilizations in the past centred around religion or a God. Its historical fact nothing more and nothing less.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by gnosticagnostic
reply to post by MonkeyFishFrog

i know me too!! we even got to make and bring traditional cuisine of those peoples... hahaha. damn i do hope she takes my advise and takes a camera...

We stopped at the Sikh temple for lunch and while we didn't get to cook the food we did get to see how their community kitchens work (they feed the homeless and poor). Nothing better than fresh roti bread with chutney.

To try and teach History, Humanities or Sociology without referencing religion is the same as a trying to teach someone Chemistry but ignoring the Periodic Table of Elements.
edit on 10/29/2012 by MonkeyFishFrog because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I just got a download driving out, the sun was shining through the rain and downloads of info. Apparently my job here is to bring things up, and to discharge karma that leads to slavery, by speaking up for freedom, instrinsic substantive equality, like our Constitution words, and to bring this to people's attention. It's really important, to at least stand up for what is right, irregardless of whether others do or if seemingly change.

More information came than this, I was shown that I already knew the earth lessons, that aside from learning to keep peaceful and more effective in stress, that the actual issues here were already learnt before I came in. So this partly answered all my intense Why's I would throw up to Goodness and Love and Family doing dishes, before sleep, about why be given so many answers, but have this continual increasing health issues, from chronic fatigue to now, more advanced rheumatoid arthritis. And 5 boys, including a foster child and extra's as well. Its not like I can just stand up the community and get things going, there is very little energy past 12-2 pm, then I'm on rations and not enough of me to go around though I'm not mobile. So I always asked why.

This download just cleared that up. These aren't my lessons. They're other people's lessons, and so my responsibility is to speak up and say what is going on, nudge awareness, and hopefully will also speak up, for freedom and equality are equally precious. However, I don't have to do it. Its other people's tests to do it.

So yes I will discharge all karma (which I'm not a strong believer in, I believe in learning, growing, overcoming and forgiveness), and speak up for freedom and our constitution and what a good education means.

Oddly enough, my son did speak up and he had said something after the exam to the teacher.

My mother got a phone call while I was out, and apparently his social studies is being modified so he is not going to be tested on these issues.

Perhaps the school was alerted to this thread even, already.

However, that doesnt make it alright for all the other students. So I'll do my bit and speak up, everyone else should be mindful in their own communities and states, countries, to do theirs as well, because freedom is such a precious thing. Think on it.

It kept comign over and over that I knew this issues, and here is the odd part, that I was not allowed to interfere, that this was everyone else's test, so there is only so much I'm allowed to do. You can lead a horse to the water, point the way, be a wayshower, but the baton for growth in truly understanding freedom, sovereignity, equality, progression in Love, that is in everyone's hands. Like in the olympics, I am to pass the baton, others are supposed to do their bit too.
edit on 29-10-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   
And is that text book published by the Saudi company she mentioned? Just curious...

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join