It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadian Grade Eight Social Studies: Who Is The Prophet Of Muslims?

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by hououinkyouma
While I`m not big fan of Islam or Mohammed they have some historical importance. He changed the middle east and some parts of Asia, unfortunately.

I don't know. I do see the historical value, but are there any schools teaching how Genghis Kahn's tribe believed in a sky father when they warred with China?

The questions in the OP seem to be teaching religious beliefs, rather than what the people did with those beliefs.

Tough call, especially since we're talking Canada. Does Canada have separation of church and state?
edit on 10/29/2012 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Teaching the beliefs adds the why to the what.. It also provides enough information for a Student to come to their own conclusions as to the why based on what these people believed at the time.

know what I mean..
edit on 29-10-2012 by DaMod because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   
My advise is for everyone to quit feeding this post and the beast.. nothing you say will change her mind or her "sensibilities" She is going to push the issue to her own detriment.. let her.. if nothing else she can stew in her own venom at worst she will do as she says and lose her child to social services and that may be in the best interest of the child ( children )... sometimes you have to let them be their own worst enemy..

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   
creepingsharia.wordpress.com...

Saudi’s give UN $20M to fund worldwide textbook rewrites

The UN agency that promotes education wants a say in how future textbooks are written, and Saudi Arabia — a nation whose own school books have been criticized for promoting hatred of Christians and Jews — is helping to bankroll the effort.

The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) is currently working with member states to revise its strategy for the publication of textbooks and learning materials. According to UNESCO’s website, experts from 21 countries met in Paris last month at a meeting financed by a $29,000 Saudi donation and focused in part on “ways to ensure that content aimed at students systematically reflects cultural and religious diversity, and avoids gender stereotypes.”

I find this a little alarming.

stopthemadrassa.wordpress.com...

The problems of Islamist influence in American public education have been raised in

reports, studies, Congressional testimony, investigative reports, and news articles for the

last two decades. Academic experts and policy makers have repeatedly exposed the

ongoing problem of indoctrination in American education by well-financed Islamist

interests, mostly from Saudi Arabia. Studies have proven again and again that textbooks

have been rewritten to represent only a benign view of Islamic history; training of

history teachers is now subsidized and directed by Saudi-funded centers of regional

studies; and anti-American and anti-Israel curricula packages are developed at those same

universities for distribution throughout K-12 systems across the country.

Yet parents confront these problems only when their children are astute enough to alert

them about the Islamic indoctrination they are encountering in their classes.

Just like me, find out when my son is studying for his test, and shocked over the study notes.

Seems to be quite a signficant problem. Congressional Testimony.

But it wouldn't be happening if our leaders didn't open the door when they knocked.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by gnosticagnostic

Good point..

I think we should all take it under advisement.

The OP may or may not get off their horse...

Teaching about religion in social studies is a non issue at best and arguing about it is a waste of time at worst..

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
Perhaps there might be some ideas others have of what exactly I should tell them at the office and tell the social studies teacher and the principal. I've already decided if one person can't make a big stink, a possy might be needed.

They're all going to start answering, big time!

Oh and my son definitely being deprogrammed, no question of him, its the other children I'm most concerned with, and also the very notion of allowing those very humble and grateful for their jobs and incomes, school trustees, educators, ministry of education, servants to the people, to ever think they have a right to do this to us. (said through gritted teeth). They sadly mistake their place in life.
edit on 29-10-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

So how exactly do you plan on deprogramming your son? In this case, teach him lies instead of facts? Teach him instead about more religions and religious fanatic groups?

Understanding other religions is, as so many people have said, an important part of understanding culture.

After 9/11, during my remaining 2 years of highschool (In the US) we had Muslim students give presentations about their faith to us, and the take questions. They handled it very well and I was very impressed. One of the girls who I later became friends with chose to wear a shawl and covered her body in a long coat every day. She explained that while her sisters chose to wear contemporary clothing, she dressed that way in order to become closer to her faith. She was very beautiful and very smart, and judging from the reactions of most people, was well respected for her bravery in that choice. Of course you would get shallow girls who criticized her, but when there is a young woman who shows only her face and is more beautiful than you in a short skirt, you feel a little insecure I suppose.

Anyways, after actually LEARNING about Islam, I noticed a lot less Islamaphobia from my peers.

By taking the action the OP seems fixed on taking, she will make her child less worldly and less knowledgeable. That she thought she would find overwhelming support on ATS is also confusing. If anything, judging by the tone she uses when speaking of religion, she has already passed down an overwhelming bias towards organized faith to her children. Sad really, and I even went to Catholic school for a year where we learned lots of details about Islam and Judaism, because we all worship the same God. If there was such a danger of conversion from curriculum like this, wouldn't the greedy evil old Catholic Church want to keep more money in its coffers and NOT teach about other religions?
edit on 29-10-2012 by steppenwolf86 because: paragraphs

link   
I interpret that to mean "Look at how things have changed. People, some people have used the bible to justify misogyny..."
You take it as an endorsement of misogyny.
I suspect your interpretation is the main problem here. Perhaps some further education on your part might be in order?

link   
reply to post by DaMod

Teaching beliefs, ie, religion in school? Really? No that is out of school activity.

Teaching that criminal and unlawful inequality may be a choice, (the text makes glowing accounts of Islam, uses words like "wonderful") is not legal. Try doing that with any other crime and see how far it will get you, in a school no less.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by steppenwolf86

I have already said, he's not the problem exactly. He already thinks out of the box, but some issue come up.

Im still concerned at odd things they blurt out, because some of the tolerance they've been taught seems to be tolerance of crimes, so when I've spoken up against inequality, they've said this was prejudice. But I narrowed it down by asking them where they had been taught this, what was taught to them, and what equality means. What tolerance means. So, some of this to lesser degrees, along the lines of politically correct ideas, has been brought up and deprogrammed. But, other odd things, such as knowing about Obama some pro Obama teachings they had last couple years, that got also dealt with. I told them the schools had no right to promote US presidents to Canadian students, but I also told them that none of the leaders are good guys. I grew up in a very politically active family, who spoke out and had family discussions on every issue under the sun. And ours is much the same.

However, this issue concerns the educational system for my country, preserving the constitution, freedom and equality. And I don't believe in letting things slide.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99

Originally posted by hououinkyouma
You are completely clueless and don`t understand a thing of what people are telling or asking, I give up too. Since you are a completely irrelevant influence in any school board.

The school board sold out to the educational minister, who in turn sold out to the UN, at least this seems logical to assume.

And I don't know what you're talking about. The issue is, this is not appropriate and it must be removed, our secular education reintroduced. If they want to study cultural differences, they had better be prepared to demonstrate the illegality and harm involved in some systems. But not in social studies in grade 8. That borders more on civics course, sociology related course, in senior high, or something.

I certainly believe one voice can make waves. I've dealt with some corruption before. And the situation will reveal itself, ie, how much input will be heard, how much education in the community might be needed. This is the preliminary stage, of how to bring it up, how to package this big concern how to address these issues with dignity. That is why I'm studying the full text and going to gather materials over the next couple days and write, then rewrite what to say.

But I don't think in terms other than, freedom and equality. And standing up for our sovereignity, nationally. I've addressed what are the most critical parts.

you mean to tell me that up there in canada you all have actual HUMANS in charge.. why are the states so lucky to have presidental non human hybrids in charge? you were just telling me that the other day n'est-ce pas?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

i think they've gotten to you!! are you sure you don't have an implant! you better check..!!

edit on 29-10-2012 by gnosticagnostic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

I'm so sorry that the the Torah offends you so. It's just that, for good or better, it is the foundation of nearly all western civilization. Why should he not have questions about it?

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by steppenwolf86

Taking the action the OP seems fixed on. Lets see, going in and discussing what they're teaching in school and how it violates constitution, amongst other things, and citing examples, is in your books most unusual.

You know, this is ATS, was expecting some good advice by more concerned people. The posts here are so odd, that Im beginning to think that earthquake on the BC coast affected timelines and this is a lower density or something, though all my family seem the same.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   
schools SHOULD teach about at least the big 3.
and they do.

its all names and dates and locations.

i mean when a kid hears on the news about (insert holy book here) mass burnings, and a debate about (insert religion here) trying to build a (insert religious building type here) and the counter culture (insert community here) is against it.

even a teenager should have some sort of reference to what it all means.

OP is afraid of knowledge for some odd reason. he seems to think that hard basic facts about the world will convert his kid to some religion. when they dont even teach the messages and the fairytales of the 3 books.
just what even atheists know as historical facts.

keeping a kid under a rock is quite dangerous. he will grow up to hate other cultures and fear his innocent neighbors.
edit on 29-10-2012 by Bisman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   

So you just want to pretend Religion does not exist in society... I hope you put blinders on your son when he leaves the house... He may learn about all kinds of things you want to pretend don't exist.

Yeah good solution..... Schools should instead teach kids to cover their ears and say LA LA LA LA LA LA while they are interacting with another person who believes in something other than you whom they will know nothing about except stereotypes and rumors from friends.

Yeah I'm sure the Jewish kid that sits behind him will fair well in that world... Wait you also think he shouldn't be able to wear his star of david necklace either..

When we were talking about tolerance.. We weren't talking about death.. We were talking about tolerance of the people around you, whether they are Christian, Jewish or Gay among other things.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
what tolerance to what crimes are you claiming the schools are teaching?

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
I just showed mom the text for the first time, the page layout, the first chapters which go through various cultures and seem laid out in religious format, ie Buddhism, and various Chinese religions and the Church and even the Church Court of Law in the middle ages. This is what it more or less goes to, from one section to the next with a little bit of social info and maps in between.

And the layout of the pages with these boxes, breaking up the text, making it easy for students, training the eye in a certain path, and showed her the page on women in the history and that very obnoxious letter.

She said it was insane, ludicrous and criminal, and asked what on earth they were doing to the education system.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Yeah let's just pretend those people didn't exist and that nothing ever happened... Religion never existed just all a figment of your imagination..

Get them all ignorant of other races too since religion is on the chopping block. Let them learn of people of other races from what their peers tell them.. That way when they are done beating up the little Jewish kid they can start throwing racial slurs at everyone else.

Wait that would never happen... because we all know children are perfect well behaved little angels eh.

You just made me vomit a little in my mouth.. Thanks for that.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   

nope the earthquake turned on your implant devices that's why they needed over 50 hits... it's a big population you know... I'm surprised your enlightened self didn't recognize the non human hybrids plan for us.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   

I'm not surprised since she is your mom and probably thinks the same way as you do.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   

No no no... Teaching them to practice that faith is an outside activity.. Teaching kids about the faith itself.. letting them know what it is and how it played a role in who we are today is a separate matter...

You listening to yourself.. I bet you pushed Atheism on your kid as bad as any religious person.

again slight vomit..

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join