It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How come television make some smarter but some dumber?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 01:32 AM
link   
When I watch TV I cherry pick what I see for information and try to learn things. For instance I'm sure a lot of us watch cartoon comedy shows but we take it as comedy and we can see the messages behind all the funny and sometimes get smarter. But that's what the mainstream pokes at for making us dumb. When some of us would rather watch South Park rather than Wheel of Fortune because we think that show makes us dumb. I mean if all humans are created equal then how come some are so supceptable to the "brainwashing'.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 01:34 AM
link   
who said we're created equal?

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by FraternitasSaturni
who said we're created equal?

Ok I personally think that every human embryo starts out on the same playing field as every other human. I'm an identical twin and we used to work together when we were younger as one but we still had differnt interests. Like Abby and Britany, The conjoined twins. Even though they grew up exactly the same they are completly differnt than each other. I'm curious as to why? The only thing I can think of is the TV/Internet and how one takes the messages from what they hear and see. What do the rest of you think?

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by marbles87

In my opinion, there is NOTHING smart about TV. It amazes me how so many people pay for the privilege to be spoon fed lies, propaganda and mindless programming, and for companies to market their products to you.

Try ditching your television and seek less biased information. Once you break the TV addiction you'll see what I mean.

I cut the cord 10 years ago. My sons went through high school without TV, and continue without it to this day. My grand kids are also being raised TV-free. In our modern society, that's true freedom.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 01:51 AM
link   

I think Frat summed it up best already, we aren't all borne equal.

Some no matter what while in developement will come out perfect, smart, strong, good looking, funny, whitty, charming.

Others no matter what will come out, short, dumb, obtuse...etc. basically most of the things, most of us try to avoid being.

All of us are different from the start, so we all develope and advance differently, identical or not. We are all individuals, with our own goals, and wants and needs.

Basically, just as some are immune to all known forms of hypnosis( me for example) and others are so easily hypnotised, that they will perform like a chicken with the simplest hand motion.

Its basically natures way, of guaranteeing that no matter what situation occurs, we will all do somthing different, so some of us will survive, under almost any conditions.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 02:03 AM
link   
reply to post by ~Vixen~

Not all TV is dumb there are shows that are educational. Some Discovery, History Channel, or TLC and other shows are very educational. I feel access to the TV and access to the internet gives people the same chance at being corrupted or brainwashed. Anything on TV is on the net and for the most part vice versa.

To the next guy. I get what you mean that we need to be different to be survive a bad situation but given all the thousands of years you would think that humans would get closer to each other in basic intelligence than we are now. I can't help to think that with all the information out there would be a lot more smarter people of all ages but being smart now a days is a minority but in the 1800's you really had no choice but to get smart quick. I'm curious if you can inherant above normal intelligence but if that was the case some of the kids of the multi billionairs would be smart but most are wash ups. Just doesn't make evolutaiory sense. Why are we going backwards?

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 02:26 AM
link   
I think it has to do with how much ones parents watched TV. If someones parents sat in front of the boob tube every night from 7 to 10pm (prime time) then of course the kids are going to think this is what people do. But I also think it matters what you are watching for example Discovery is loaded with information at least it makes one think! then there are movies. If a family throws on a good film (the ones that are classics and you will remember forever, Jurassic Park and such) then I think TV viewing is alright. Just keep it to less than 2 hours a day and remind children that its all pretend like a storybook. Just my two cents

P.S.
The Walking Dead, come on? you know you love that s#!T

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 02:42 AM
link   
It matters if your already dumb or not.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 02:46 AM
link   
TV keeps you dumb

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 02:55 AM
link   
reply to post by chishuppu

Not always. Like Key & Peele, Some of the sketches are making fun of real stuff. And I can read the messages behind their sketches. But others will take nothing from it. But then again people could be spoon fed and still not get it. I just don't know how this goes on in today's society. I'm by far no genus but people seem so weak minded nowadays

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Depends on what you choose to watch,obviously

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
It doesn't matter what you watch but HOW you watch

Every show might have something to learn from it, even a stupid comedy show might have some "enlightening" qualities

Homer Simpson is awesome, more people should watch him and not be like him

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   

So the old ads were true!

I love documentariesand the learning channels

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by councilglasses

Depends on what you choose to watch,obviously

True, and it's also how you perceive what you're watching as well.

I know there are some that have the "I don't watch tv" superiority complex but it really doesn't mean much,
Blanket statements, are never valid.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Some people just dont have an open mind making them beleive alot of things they hear, if they get dumber from tv theres a reason, us who can hear around the bull# and become smarter are much more open minded than those who can not, and there is also a reason for that. Anytime i watch any movie or show im looking for symbolism while those around me are just sucked in and everything they watch turns into reality for them, they think that because its like that on the tv show thats how it is in life causing them to be dumber, i recently just seen someone post via twitter that they blame disney channel for their outlook on relationships, i mean come on! Whats that telling you? People just need to be more open minded and realize everything bad that is happening now a days instead of just saying, " oh thats just normal " no society just portrays it as normal. Thats most the reason this world is so #ed up.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   

I think that even at its best, TV just doesn't encourage the type of thinking that has a chance of making folk smarter.

As soon as anyone starts to learn something, they get blasted with the fricken commercials that are always louder than the actual show. "Damn! What were we just watching??"

Tiny attention spans are like an evolutionary defence-mechanism to avoid listening to the crappy jingles and fear-mongering BS.

"OMG! Everyone else is eating tubs of KFC and chomping on over-the-counter laxatives! Their lives are better than mine...sob..."

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Everybody may be equal but everyone is also wired differently.
Some choose to exercise their brain muscle while others choose to exercise their body muscles.

It's how one applies himself, watch TMZ or the Smithsonian Channel.
If you have two doors in front of you, one labeled "library" and the other "gymnasium", you
make the call as to which one you will choose.
And for Pete's sake don't gripe about it 15 years later when the kid that decided to go through the library door is much more well off than you.

Everybody has access to the same roads and bridges, but not everyone is successful.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Easy answer; see that little channel up and channel down button? The choice of up or down to where it ends up is directly proportional to the choosers IQ.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Not all programs are bad but they also are not best form of getting informed to a point they even share the same issue of the WEB, bad and out of date information is very prevalent. The best way is to get books and hear and talk to smart people.

Video is not TV but much of the video around is of less quality than TV (like Youtube).

If you have the time get some of the TED videos...

You can also get very good picks from most of the social bookmarking sites...

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Vixen~

Strange, I have two nephews that tell me a ton of things about the animal kingdom that I had no idea existed. This started when they were around 4 and 6. And it hasn't stopped, they are now 7 and 9.

I have seen footage of the Vietnam war on TV that has changed my thinking on life. There is so much to learn from TV. Not only that, theres a huge group of scientist that are scientist because they watched TV and saw men walk on the moon.
edit on 30-10-2012 by lucidclouds because: spelling

top topics

<<   2 >>

join