It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

70 Trillion people affected, 13 Bajillion dollars in damage, Hurricane Sandy and media hype

page: 23
<< 20  21  22    24  25 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrWendal

And again I ask, where was this picture taken? Is it the same member who posted pics of the rising water who said, "I live in a flood area?" Shall I quote THAT post for you again? Here it is AGAIN.... from PAGE 3

I told you three times cant you read man/woman.

Shall i tell you another time... or will you go back and read

edit on 30-10-2012 by denver22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Maybe they were over hyping it to make us serious about it. If they played it like no big deal then everyone would of stayed and possibly got hurt. There was a lot of damage and deaths due to it. They don't know the future, they know what they see and what they saw was rare with the very low pressure of 940 mb. It's so big that we had winds of around 50 mph in Indiana. Can you imagine if it was low played and people still were in the subway? Granted, I did expect it to be more doomsday considering the rarity of the storm lol but that's just me being a doomtard. All in all, I'm glad everyone is safe. RIP those who didn't make it

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by innervision0730
Maybe they were over hyping it to make us serious about it. If they played it like no big deal then everyone would of stayed and possibly got hurt. There was a lot of damage and deaths due to it. They don't know the future, they know what they see and what they saw was rare with the very low pressure of 940 mb. It's so big that we had winds of around 50 mph in Indiana. Can you imagine if it was low played and people still were in the subway? Granted, I did expect it to be more doomsday considering the rarity of the storm lol but that's just me being a doomtard. All in all, I'm glad everyone is safe. RIP those who didn't make it

There's being serious about a serious event, then there is theatrics.

I feel that the media crossed the line.

But thanks for some reasoned opinion.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by MrWendal

So just because it's expected, means it isn't unfortunate? That means there's no reason to be sympathetic? You have a very cold way of looking at things.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by denver22
Do you mind sir this is a member of ats house!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

You want to talk about this member's home... cool, let's do that.

Let us start with this members post on page 3 of this thread.

Originally posted by kat2684
I'm only concerned with the flooding here on lower Delmarva.....I live in a flood plain expected to get surges up to 9ft tonight around midnight......Irene just missed flooding my laundry room, the water was up to 2ft in some areas......the storm has not hit yet and its surpassing Irene.....

Now does this member not say she lives in a Flood Plain?

So what is a "Flood Plain"?

An area of low-lying ground adjacent to a river, formed mainly of river sediments and subject to flooding.

Hmmm subject to flooding. And what was it that I said about THIS storm and flooding? Let's go back and look shall we... from yesterday prior to this storm making landfall

You will see sustained winds of 75 mph with wind gust around 85 mph. You will see a slow weakening of this storm, probably happening after day 1 just prior to this storm making a turn to the North - North East. You will see massive amounts of rainfall. Once the ground is saturated and can no longer soak in any more water, you will see flooding. If you are by rivers, especially rivers that are fed from the Ocean, you will see storm surge and even after the storm has passed, the water will continue to rise.

That sir, is what I said. That sir, was the conclusion I came to after viewing the data.

Now it is a shame this members home has flooded, but guess what? She knew that was a possibility did she not? Let us see what else I said YESTERDAY before this storm made landfall regarding this flooding

My advise for this storm is pretty simple. Have at least 5 days worth of food. Be prepared to be without power for 5 days. Be prepared to take care of yourself in that time. Do not expect to run to the grocery store and get food. Chances are, it will be closed and you will have no power to cook on your electric stove anyway.

Be prepared for flooding in some areas. If you live by a creek, river, stream, or even a reservoir be prepared for flooding. The amount of rainfall will cause this water to flow over it's banks. It will cover the land- but it will NOT be life threatening if you prepare for it. It does not have to be.

If you live on the coast- you should have evacuated. Storm surge was projected at 20+ feet. It does not take a genius to see that if you live on the beach, 20+ feet of extra water will flood your home. This is all common sense and simple math.

So yes, I feel for this member. I have done all I can to warn others of what to expect fright here on these boards and all I have gotten for my effort is a lot of grief. Would you like to see what I was told for attempting to bring reality to these boards?

Originally posted by Jeremiah65

I agree that the media is driving people to the point of insanity. Went to the grocery store last night and it was stripped....madness.

My point was in the other post.. If the experts say it could get bad...it just might do that. Your efforts to "calm everyone down" is not needed or really even desired. If people getting excited saves lives...so be it.

The other issue is...this is not a typical storm so "the voice of reason" from someone....anyone....who has not rode a storm like this out should keep their condescending overtones to themselves. I am completely across the state of Virginia in the mountains of the northwest corner and the winds have been absolutely howling...powerful gusts which I have no way to measure... My power has flashed on and off several times already.

So...I appreciate it feels nice to talk down to others...especially from the lofty positions of a superiority complex and self appointed authority...but you, nor me, nor anyone has experienced a storm quite like this one in recorded history and should save the rhetoric of expertise to the real experts.

it is a thousand miles across BTW....
edit on 10/29/2012 by Jeremiah65 because: (no reason given)

Yes, I was told to get lost. I was told I was being "condescending". My help and advise was not wanted or needed.

And now you want to cry me a river over this members home? While I was warning people, WTF were you doing?

edit on 30-10-2012 by MrWendal because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

well, not exactly what I've heard

from other people

she said he said I suppose - whatever suits your needs

:-)

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity

So just because it's expected, means it isn't unfortunate? That means there's no reason to be sympathetic? You have a very cold way of looking at things.

And you tell me to pay attention?? MY POST just one page back...

Why does that matter? Does that mean you have no sympathy? If I accidentally get caught in a fire because I forgot to turn off the stove, does that mean you won't have any empathy for me?

No. I have sympathy for these people because they are victims. This topic is not about blaming the victims. It is about the MEDIA. What part of that do you not understand?

The MEDIA is what helps to create these victims. I have been very clear on my position on this and this thread is about ...ready for it? THE MEDIA.

You are all monsters if you turn your backs with so little cause. Despite the reasons, these people are in trouble, and they are facing a very difficult time. WHO CARES WHOSE FAULT IT IS?!?!?! The fact is, they will be having a very touch time over the next few weeks, and you can't find it in your hearts to care. Not even a little.

Know what I care more about? Not creating future victims. That is why it matters how these people found themselves in the situations they are in today.

One can judge a man by how he treats those he views as inferior. If you cannot spare compassion for these people, how can you expect compassion to be shown to you?

Who claimed these people are "inferior"? Let me ask you what have you done? I have delivered food to Hurricane victims. I have cleaned up debris. I have helped to rebuild homes for FREE to help people who are victims. WTF have you done? Don't you sit here and judge me cause you dont understand the topic or the message I have attempted to relay. How ****in dare you! Walk one mile in my shoes before you judge me and presume to know what I am all about, you dont know squat!

I helped with Katrina clean up. I helped with Rita clean up. If I was back home in Philadelphia, want to guess what I would be doing right now? So WTF have you done?

This thread is about the MEDIA HYPE. That is the topic, and it has been shown over and over again just how the media did hype this event. That HYPE creates victims, as I have explained over and over and over again. If you still dont get it yet, too bad., I cant help you.

Does that not say I have sympathy for these people?

I will say it again.. WTF HAVE YOU DONE???

I have done more for victims of Hurricanes than you can even begin to imagine.

WTF Have YOU done besides sit on this board and rant?

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by inverslyproportional

heheheh you just reminded me of an old anti war song by Country Joe and the Fish and they actually did say that.

Edit: I had to take the vid off as I just noticed it has some verbiage displayed. Ohe well, Country Joe and the Fish at Woodstock.

(He also says somethin about commies...ah the good ol days when anti war was just about singing some stuff, the radicals have gotten slick now) I would say a good quantity of those kids at Woodstock had no clue what was really happening with the spread of communism and the anti war radicals got masses of naive people to protest, thereby losing Viet Nam to communism.
Since the fall of the Berlin Wall, the people who make money off war have gotten slicker and so have the anti war radicals.
The anti war hippies now have their radical leftist man in the WH.

In the meantime Fox news did say this storm was the biggest one to hit the Eastern Seaboard in recorded weather history...dating back to the 1880's. They predicted billions in damage. Fox did show an area which was blacked out from power outages. The guy said it looked like lightning in the sky and it might be transformers blowing.
If people didn't get hit with rain and wind, it was snow. A foot in some areas.
What was going through my mind when Fox announced how much it had already cost in damage before the storm was even finished was that the cost to govt is phenomenal and that if HAARP really was involved, it could be used as part of the plan to overwhelm the system.
edit on 30-10-2012 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   

That's not a reason to be apathetic.

"I warned you, you didn't listen. **** you and your cat, your dog, your house, your car, your aunt, your leg that you busted trying to keep from being swept away as you tried to save your OTHER dog, and the $100,000+ dollars in damage to your property. Because I'm important and you didn't listen to me. No, I don't CARE that your cousin is in a coma. You didn't listen to me, so I no longer care about your struggles which make my problems look like a bad hair day."

Sweet. Nice to know you don't have a heart.

Here, have a picture of Sandy's trip to Atlantic City. You know, that little mess you no longer give a rat's ass about. See what these people have to deal with while you're safe and sound, and tell me you have a legitimate argument in the face of...THIS:

That's right. Mother nature screwed these people over, and all you can think about is yourself. Screw you, too. And the house you still have. And the pets you still have. And the car that still works. And the property that doesn't currently have a lake sitting on it.

Because you are a self-absorbed fool. Have fun with that.
edit on 30-10-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   

And now you want to cry me a river over this members home? While I was warning people, WTF were you doing?

Watch your mouth that's a freind of mines house son .WHAT WAS I DOING ALL I COULD DO!!!!

You keep going on about media media media well i need media you may not...
Why you flaring up having the cheek to tell me what i was doing with little flame emoticons

You assume i haven't done all i can ... wtf ..

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

There's being serious about a serious event, then there is theatrics

:-)

Too true bunny - too true

Here's something to think about - how big would this thing have to be before it was worthy of the coverage it received?

And if it was that big - would it be something we could still cover?

I still say - news is news

And deflection is deflection

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   

That's not a reason to be apathetic.

"I warned you, you didn't listen. **** you and your cat, your dog, your house, your car, your aunt, your leg that you busted trying to keep from being swept away as you tried to save your OTHER dog, and the $100,000+ dollars in damage to your property. Because I'm important and you didn't listen to me. No, I don't CARE that your cousin is in a coma. You didn't listen to me, so I no longer care about your struggles which make my problems look like a bad hair day."

Sweet. Nice to know you don't have a heart.

Yeah that's what I said.

You quoted me to the letter didnt you?

Again I ask you... WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?

What did YOU do when I was literally sneaking into New Orleans risking my arrest delivering food to Katrina victims?

What did YOU do when I was helping to rebuild homes after Hurricane Rita?

What were YOU doing when I was on these boards trying to give the best advice I could based on the actual DATA to people in the path of this storm?

Stop trying to sidestep my direct question.... WHAT DID YOU DO?

Save me you baseless BS accusations of not caring. If I was apathetic and did not care, would I have rebuilt homes? Would I have risked arrest when the Military had the highways shut down and you could not even get into New Orleans? Those are not the actions of an apathetic, cold, uncaring person. Now is it?

Your a damned fool and you have no idea what the hell you are even ranting about.

So now tell us all... WHAT DID YOU DO?

Allow me to provide the answer for us all...

You did nothing. You have done nothing. You sat on these boards judging others on your high horse like you are somebody special.

So now tell me.. who's actions are apathetic? Who's actions seem uncaring? Who's actions seem cold?

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Watch your mouth that's a freind of mines house son .WHAT WAS I DOING ALL I COULD DO!!!!

Is this some sort of threat?

I dont have to watch a thing... "son".

So tell me... what was "all you could?" What did that entail?

Did you tell this member "hey listen, your home is on a flood plain and you should probably get out while you can."? Did you do that? I DID.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Is this some sort of threat?

Did you tell this member "hey listen, your home is on a flood plain and you should probably get out while you can."? Did you do that? I DID.

You are talking about my lady freind and being rude with it i said watch your mouth.
She did get out son next question?

If i spoke about your mother like that would you not be angry?
who do you think you are talking like that..

It's not a threat i am merely asking you to watch your mouth as you are insulting
my lady freind.

I can tell you i wouldn't dream of speaking like that about one of your family or loved one sir.
have some respect

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Again I ask you... WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?

What did YOU do when I was literally sneaking into New Orleans risking my arrest delivering food to Katrina victims?

What did YOU do when I was helping to rebuild homes after Hurricane Rita?

What were YOU doing when I was on these boards trying to give the best advice I could based on the actual DATA to people in the path of this storm?

Stop trying to sidestep my direct question.... WHAT DID YOU DO?

Then what's your excuse for giving these victims the middle finger?

I didn't do anything because I was in high school, with no car, no money, and more chances of dying than actually helping those people out. So my lack of action equates to lack of concern? I was an effing kid. I didn't know anything.

After years of carefully applied introspection, I understand and observe a lot more stuff now. And don't use me to excuse your own display of heartlessness. I will call you out on that right now. Prove you are better than I am, if you must, and show just an OUNCE of concern for these people who had to abandon their lives to avoid Sandy.

You did nothing. You have done nothing. You sat on these boards judging others on your high horse like you are somebody special.

So now tell me.. who's actions are apathetic? Who's actions seem uncaring? Who's actions seem cold?

Again, you are attempting to make me look bad in comparison to you. But if I were to direct everyone to compare all my posts on this thread with all of your posts, what would they see?

Anyway, this isn't a pissing contest. I am concerned for these people, and for some terrible reason, I am in the process of convincing everyone else that there IS a reason to be concerned. You are one of those people, if I were to judge by your previous posts.

Don't try to make me look like the bad guy. Don't try to pin this on me. I called you out, and you attack something that is irrelevant to the current issue as a defense. You are transparent.

Show some respect and concern for these victims. If you did it for Katrina, surely you can do it for the ATS members and other victims who have suffered personally at the hands of this hurricane. This isn't about me, or about you. It's about them.

Show some respect, please.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Save me you baseless BS accusations of not caring. If I was apathetic and did not care, would I have rebuilt homes? Would I have risked arrest when the Military had the highways shut down

I also remember that American civilians were trying to use their own boats to rescue people and the FEMA people would not let them. Then they let armed Mexican troops over the border to help. That was a "what in the world" moment for me.
edit on 30-10-2012 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Everything in my power i could do you do have to watch my freind speaking out of term
at someones loved one who has lost her home whether she stayed all went
She aint moses mate

You mean my lady freind .. yes.all i could and like the other
person said this is not a pissing contest of who done the most.. grow up...

TC forbids me from telling you what i really feel and i am taking this well let me tell you.
You say you have respect but you say these things..

How rude are you, i have never come accross a poster so rude as you.
First you claim your superman then you claim to question if i have or haven't told my own
lady freind these things allready...

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by denver22

You are both wandering off topic. Imagine the horror these people would feel if they knew what kind of conflict their plight had caused those who aren't even in the middle of it...

For the love of all that is good, can't we just agree this is a terrible disaster and that we should pray or send positive thoughts to those who need help in this trying event?

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   

You are talking about my lady freind and being rude with it i said watch your mouth.
She did get out son next question?

If i spoke to your mother like that would you not be angry?

What am I saying that so "rude"?

I am stating FACTS and the TRUTH. Sometimes it is not pretty.

So again I ask you... what is "all you could do". What is that EXACTLY?

See, I have sat here quoting post after post after post of everything I said prior to this storm making landfall. I warned people of what was to come based on the data. Not the media spin, not the hype, not scaring the crap out of people, but the actual DATA.

Is it rude of me to say, if you live in a flood prone area and storm surge is coming from a hurricane you should leave cause you will see flooding. Is that being "rude"? No sir, that is stating the facts, and as we can see right now.. it was a fact.

So no, I will not watch my mouth. I will continue to sit here and state the FACTS and I will continue to tell people what the data says. If you can't handle it, then you have bigger issues to deal with than what I am saying.

So again, I have shown you what I did to warn this member and others like her. What did YOU do?

Let me answer that for you like I did with the other fool...

You did nothing. You sat here and judged others who said the things you did not, could not or would not say yourself.

So I am sorry for your friend. I am sorry her home is flooded and I wish her the best. If I was in her area, I would be there right now to help her. I would be there right now to clean up and or rebuild her home. She is a complete stranger to me, and yet I would still do that and I have done it before for other total strangers who I have not seen since. I did for people who's names I do not even know, and she would be no different.

Yet it does not change the FACT and the TRUTH that her home is located on a flood plain where flooding is a very real possibility. It is a possibility from not only hurricanes, but from heavy rainfall and things as simple as a heavy thunderstorm. That is why it is called a "flood plain". That is a very real risk that people who buy these homes are well aware of.

So if that is "rude" of me to say, then so be it, but by saying it I still did more than you have.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   

reply to post by denver22

You are both wandering off topic. Imagine the horror these people would feel if they knew what kind of conflict their plight had caused those who aren't even in the middle of it...

For the love of all that is good, can't we just agree this is a terrible disaster and that we should pray or send positive thoughts to those who need help in this trying event?

The topic was the media hype. You wondered off topic pages ago when you equated disgust at the media hype with not caring!
edit on 30-10-2012 by khimbar because: (no reason given)

<< 20  21  22    24  25 >>

join